• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

FEAR (Frequently Enquired About Rules) <-- PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING RULES QUESTIONS

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
This thread has been created to archive the more commonly asked-about rules, in an attempt to answer the question before yet another thread on the same subject is created. Feel free to add your suggestions about which rules should be included here, this first post will be continuously updated with the latest additions. :)

Casting Spells

Q: Can a Wizard cast spells while in close combat?

A: There are no rules preventing Wizards casting spells in combat. There are rules preventing him casting magic missiles, and rules preventing him casting into combats, but not prohibiting the casting of spells absolutely.

FAQ's and Erratas

Q: Where can I find the various FAQ's and Erratas that are mentioned in discussions?

A: You can find them Here.

Invocation of Nehek

Q: Can IoN be cast into combat?

A: Yes

Magic Items & Vampiric Powers

Q: How does the Black Periapt work, exactly?

A: It goes like this: the bearer of the Periapt decides whether or not to place dice in the Periapt in each Magic Phase. If it is his own Magic Phase he will place up to two of his own Power Dice into the Periapt. Dice stored can then be retrieved in the following Magic Phase (which will be the opponent's) as additional Dispel Dice to be used. It works exactly the same in reverse: place Dispel Dice in opponent's Magic Phase, collect Power Dice in your own. The dice which are provided by the Black Periapt is added to the pool during PD/DD generation; it is bound by all restrictions and follows all the rules just like any other PD/DD. (ie. it will not allow you to exceed a PD/DD of 12, and Evocation of Death would also have a chance to absorb this die).

Q: Can I have multiples of the same magic item in my army?

A: No magic item may be taken more than once per army.

Q: If my character is armed with a magic lance and his monstrous mount is killed, can he still use his lance?

A: No, as per the rule book FAQ, his lance effectively ceases to exist and cannot be used on foot.

Q: How does the Red Fury / Frostblade combo work on multi-wound models such as Ogres?

A: Every unsaved wound will kill a multi-wound model and the Vampire gains an additional attack for every wound remaining on the enemy model's profile.

Q: Red Fury - If an enemy model is killed in a challenge, how do you resolve the bonus attacks?

A: The bonus attacks should still be resolve against the challenged model. Any excess wounds would be applied to overkill as per the normal challenge rules.

Q: Does the Nightshroud stack with normal armour?

A: Yes. The Nightshroud is listed as +1 armour save and it is NOT listed as light/heavy armour. Therefore, this item will stack with mundane armour.

Vampire Counts Units and Special Rules

Q: Does a Vampire with Loremaster ability (such as Mannfred von Carstein) prevent other models knowing spells from the Lore of the Vampires?

A: No, as models with Loremaster ability have spells "fixed by the model's rules," and so are exempt from the restrictions on spell duplicates.

Q: Do Undead units benefit from the Steadfast rule in any way?

A: No, as Unbreakable units never take break tests. Steadfast has no effect on crumbling due to the Unstable special rule as this does not equate to a break test.

Q: Is a Vampire character required to lead the army under the 8th Edition army selection rules?

A: The army must be led by the character with the highest Leadership. This character must also be a Wizard with the Lore of Vampires.

Q: Can I have my Corpse Cart join a friendly unit?

A: No, monsters (including characters mounted on monsters) cannot join units.

Q: Can Ward and Regeneration saves be used against wounds suffered from crumbling?

A: No saves of any kind may be taken against wounds suffered, due to the Unstable special rule. Wounds suffered from the General's death may be saved by means of Ward saves or Regeneration, however.

*************************************************************************************************
This thread will periodically be emptied of replies when the ideas have been added to the archive, but please don't let this discourage you from posting your suggestions.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
RE: FAAR (Frequently Asked-About Rules)

This thread needs an urgent update.

These are recent rules changes which have answers but often get asked in this forum. Examples:

Is a Vampire character required to lead the army under the 8th Edition army selection rules?
No, as the army selection rules on WA:VC p.88 have, without exception, been superceded by the new rules.

Can a character use the Helm of Commandment if his unit is engaged in close combat but he is not in base-to-base contact?
No. The Errata does not overrule the restriction on an engaged character using the Helm. He may, however, use the Helm if his unit is not engaged at the exact time at which he wishes to do so, but has previously been engaged in the Close Combat phase.

Do Dire Wolves, Bat Swarms and Corpse Carts count towards the 25% minimum points for Core units?
No, as their respective army list entries (WA:VC p.92-93) state that they do not.

Do Undead units benefit from the Steadfast rule in any way?
No, as Unbreakable units never take break tests. Steadfast has no effect on crumbling due to the Unstable special rule as this does not equate to a break test.

Does a Vampire with Forbidden Lore (including Mannfred von Carstein) prevent other models knowing spells from the Lore of the Vampires?
No, as models with Forbidden Lore have spells "fixed by the model's rules," and so are exempt from the restrictions on spell duplicates.

Additionally several of the rulings in the above post have changed in 7th Edition, here are my suggestions for amendments:

Can a Vampire still cast spells even if he is wearing armour?
Yes, there are no rules preventing Wizards from casting spells while wearing armour - that was a thing from 6th edition which obviously does not apply any more.
Also:
Can Vampires wear armour?
Normal armour is available through Avatar of Death & Dread Knight. In case there's any dispute over whether or not they can take magic armour without first purchasing the mundane pieces, see the top of page 85 of the Vampire Counts army book. "All Vampires may be given magic armour."
Change to:
The Magical Interference rule on Warhammer Rulebook p.500 prevents Wizards from using Magic Armour unless they also have the option for normal armour. Does this mean that Vampires cannot wear Magic Armour unless they have the Avatar of Death or Dread Knight Vampiric Powers?
The restriction in the rulebook is overruled by Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts p.85, which states that "All Vampires may be given magic armour." Since they explicitly have the option to take armour, it does not inhibit their ability to cast spells.

How many wounds will [unit] regain through a casting of IoN?
Consult the reference chart that is found on page 96 of the Vampire Counts army book. The unit types listed under 'Infantry' are the ones that will regain D6 wounds per casting unless they have any other limiting factor (such as being Ethereal, or the Zombie 'The Newly Dead' special rule).
Change page reference to "Warhammer Rulebook p.488" as the War Beasts unit type has been introduced, and characters are specifically listed as Infantry (so no more Wight King disuptes).

Can I have multiples of the same magic item in my army?
No, every magic item in the list to choose from is a once-per-army deal. There are certain common exception to this, such as the Dispel Scrolls and Power Stones. This is covered well on the pages 120-122 in the Big Rule Book.
Change to:
No magic item may be taken more than once per army.
(There are no longer any exceptions available to Vampire Counts, though there may be in other armies, such as the Dark Elf Null Stone which may be duplicated on a single character)

Can I have my Corpse Cart join a friendly unit?
Yes you can, as long as there's a Necromancer riding on top of it. The Cart, using the mechanics for Monsters, will then become a Monstrous Mount which are allowed to join most unit types.
Change to:
No, monsters (including characters mounted on monsters) cannot join units.
This is not in question under 8th Ed. rules, but is a hangover from 7th Ed. which still pops up.

Can Ward and Regeneration saves be used against wounds suffered from crumbling?
Yes they can- only armour saves are forbidden. This applies both to crumbling from losing combat and losing the army's general!
Change to:
no saves of any kind may be taken against wounds suffered due to the Unstable special rule. Wounds suffered due the the General's death may be saved by means of Ward saves or Regeneration.

Does being mounted on a Black Coach mean the Wraith riding it counts as being mounted for his great weapon?
As he is mounted, yes, he only gets +1S from his great weapon.
Delete as this no longer applies.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood

Thanks for that Ophidicus, I will make the changes later today when I have time, or else at some other point during the weekend. :)

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood

:siren:Thread updated.:siren:

Thanks again Ophidicus for helping out. :)

Ghurt

Grave Guard

FAQ's and Erratas

Q: Where can I find the various FAQ's and Erratas that are mentioned in discussions?

A: You can find them Here.

The link above in bold links to the old FAQ. Just so you could change it.

Also the stuff about how the Black Periapt is used is old.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood

I checked that link, it still works for the current FAQs.

Ghurt

Grave Guard

Sorry it was the wrong link. This was the one I was aiming for:

Q: Can IoN be cast into combat?

A: As per the VC FAQ (top-left of page 2): "Yes, as it is strongly implied in the last paragrahp of the spell's description."

Not a question, more a comment (and probably a reason I shouldn not post this early in the morning but I just had a thought that this thread should be called "Frequently Enquired About Rules", then the acronym would fit us better :Vampire1:

Sorry, completely OffTopic.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
RE: FEAR (Frequently Enquired About Rules)

Agreed, FEAR is rather witty and well suited to our purposes. :D

Changing the link in my signature..

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Added to the Black Periapt Q/A. And changed the title (hopefully it'll work) :tongue:

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
This will need updating with the new book...! Perhaps we should wait and collect some FEARs before updating, and in the meanwhile just remove the previous FEARs (unless some remain relevant, of course)?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
:siren:Yes, this list needs updating! :siren:

I think I removed the no longer relevant items.

Feel free to suggest anything that should be added.

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Something that should probably be added is the deal with the nightshroud and heavy armour. Many times I have come across people saying that they cannot be used together.

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
Oh! can we add:

Q: Do Undead units benefit from the Steadfast rule in any way?

Not for Break tests, since our Units are Unbreakable. Still, if you are charged by the Flank/Rear and you loose the combat (but are not Wiped Out), being Steadfast allows you to Reform in Combat more easily since Loosing Penalties will not apply in your Leadership Test to reform. You can then face the opponent by the front to level the odds of you winning that combat.

Just to clarify that it does provide a certain benefit to us

EDIT: Nevermind!!! Unbreakable units can Reform amidst Defeat with their Unmodified Leadership!!... uhm.. still you can post it as a reminder for anyone NOT to do what i just did x°x

MasterSpark said:
Q: How does the Red Fury / Frostblade combo work on multi-wound models such as Ogres?

A: Every unsaved wound will kill a multi-wound model and the Vampire gains an additional attack for every wound remaining on the enemy model's profile.
Frostblade irrelevant now?

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
VonDookie said:
MasterSpark said:

Still works for Konrads rules though

Johnny-Crass said:
VonDookie said:
MasterSpark said:

Maybe not removed then, just edit. Red Fury/Multiple Wounds (x)?

Questioner said:
Johnny-Crass said:
VonDookie said:
MasterSpark said:

Maybe not removed then, just edit. Red Fury/Multiple Wounds (x)?
I don't know how Konrad fits into this. But certainly instead of Frostblade, it perhaps more in alignment to say: Red Fury/Master Strike - as I think MS/HKB is the only thing that we have that auto-kills now (at least for a vampire with Red Fury). Konrad just deals wounds, he doesn't auto-kill, so his wounds dealt just add up to more attacks - unless I'm missing something, which is possible.

Johnny-Crass said:
Konrad has a wound multiplier sword.
Right, so wouldn't Red Fury simply work as normal? - un-saved wounds inflicted = extra attacks? - I was just pointing to the fact that Frostblade was more or less auto-kill, which used statline wounds to translate into additional attacks - and that piece (aside from Master Strike) is outdated.

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
That's why the suggestion was to update it, so that it clarifies the multiple wounds thing