• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

FEAR (Frequently Enquired About Rules) <-- PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING RULES QUESTIONS

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
There is also something worth considering regarding Steadfast in our army:

The way it reads, us being Unbreakable mean we would gain nothing from being Steadfast in a combat, however, reading the rules in Reforming Amid Defeat in the BRB and the BRB-FAQs I've found that...

- Unbreakable Units will be able to Reform Amid Defeat using their Unmodified Leadership (meaning, the Highest inside the Unit. Most of our Units have very poor Ld values, son unless a character is inside, Reforming will be very very difficult for, say, zombies).

- Steadfast Units will be Able to Reform Amid Defeat without applying the difference in Combat Result scores (FAQed, page 2) meaning that such Units can even use the General's Inspiring Presence to boost the Ld, which makes Zombies be able to Reform from losing almost all the time. Huge change from Unbreakable.

Thus, I propose we consider this particular benefit of Steadfast to our army, even if it is minor.

Thanks!

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Our army is NOT unbreakable. That the unstable rule means that a unit never breaks and flees does not equal UNBREAKABLE. It is a special rule all to itself. We do not gain anything from the Steadfast rule. Quite applying it to Vampire Counts.

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
Actually.. we ARE Unbreakable:

8th Edition Army book, page 26:

UNDEAD

(...) All Units with the Undead special rule are Unbreakable, Unstable and cause Fear....

There we go, 3 Special Rules that apply to any and all Undead (from our book).

Also, the Unstable special rule does not auto-pass Break Tests, it just "crumbles" Units. The Unbreakable special rule is the one that makes us never flee from combat. Also, the Unbreakable special rule makes us Immune to Psychology (BRB page 78).

Seriously, if we are not Unbreakable, none of our army would make any sense.

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Another common rules problem that I've seen in the field is people using vanhels to soulstride with their hexwraiths. Perhaps that should go in the FEAR...

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Chaos_Born said:
Another common rules problem that I've seen in the field is people using vanhels to soulstride with their hexwraiths. Perhaps that should go in the FEAR...
Is that not allowed?

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
*Sigh*

No, because hexwraiths can only do their thing in the remaining moves phase

Edit: Oh, and I mean do their damaging thing rather than just move through enemies.

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
I thought Vanhels was treated as a remaing move type thing. Oh well. I don't use Hex Wraiths so no big deal.

I know this is not an army specific question, but I'm really in a narrow spot with this.

A character and a mount count as a -single Character model- for ALL rules purposes, except as noted below...
Also, it states each -attack- using it's own characteristics values, but not receive hits using their own characteristics value.

My question is:
Q: Do Magical Equipment like armours and talismans that grant a ward save and / or magic resistance to both the rider and the mount?
It never states anywhere that magical upgrades are considered special rules.

An example would be:
A Zombie dragon does not confer it's Scaly Skin to it's rider because it's a special rule.
However, equipment like armour and magic items are -not- special rules, they're upgrades.

Like abyssal terrors, if you get the poisonous tail or Sword claws, it clearly states that Attacks made by an Abyssal Terror get the Armour piercing / Poisoned attacks -special rule-.

Thing like armour of destiny or Obsidian Lodestone do not state it confers a special rule, it says it grants a an ability to the -bearer- while the character and monster count as a -single- character model.

As you can see, I am outrageously confused. :I

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
RE: FEAR (Frequently Enquired About Rules) <-- PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING RULES

MasterSpark said:
Q: Can Ward and Regeneration saves be used against wounds suffered from crumbling?

A: No saves of any kind may be taken against wounds suffered, due to the Unstable special rule. Wounds suffered from the General's death may be saved by means of Ward saves or Regeneration, however.
I think this is wrong. The 8th edition rules under Slain General say:

At the end of the phase in which the General is removed as
a casualty, and at the start of every friendly turn thereafter,
all friendly Undead units on the battlefield must take a
Leadership test. If the test is failed, the unit immediately
suffers a number of Wounds equal to the amount by which it
failed the Leadership test, with no saves of any kind allowed.
These Wounds are distributed as if from a shooting attack.
Edit:

Chaos_Born said:
*Sigh*

Edit: Oh, and I mean do their damaging thing rather than just move through enemies.
Also the GW FAQ says that they do get to do their spectral hunter rule.

Chaos_Born said:
*Sigh*

Actually it's allow:

Offical FAQ 1.1 - "Q: Do Hexwraiths that move through an enemy unit in the Magic
phase due to Vanhel’s Danse Macabre cause hits with their
Spectral Hunters rule like they would in the Movement phase? (p47)
A: Yes."