• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

February 2008 Painting Log

Hey guys, just thought I'd give you a peek at the models I'm going to try to finish this month. I was digging around for Karl Franz(for an up coming game) and chanced upon the Big Man himself, Vlad, Isabella, and a Banshee.

Well, thats my aim this month. By the way if you have any "one-off" minis that you want to paint up and show off, please feel free to post them here as this thread is for all members and I'm getting lonely in here. So come on and pick up that brush and show us what you can do.

Yeah, most people are going to flip when I say this...I got Him for approx $9 from an Indy store owner a few years back because "You can't use him in 6th edition, so sure take him." I don't think its possible for me to move any faster than I did that day grabbing Him up. At the time I just really liked the model, but now I'm finding out that he is quite sought-after. With the new VC army coming I thought I would go ahead and add this treasure to my army case.

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
About Nagash being sought, Six months ago you'd get about £2 ($4) for him on ebay. Now he goes for over £12 ($24)! Weird.

As for the painting log, I barely picked the brush up in January. :( However, I did get 30 zombies undercoated, inked and first drybrush.

So, this month I have to finish the zombies completely and I've got a couple of bases of spirit hosts to paint.

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I pledge a unit of Zombies will be finished by the end of this month along with a character to lead my army and some Black Knights.

Mr Saturday

Vampire Count
True Blood
Ah, Nagash. I'm lucky enough to have this big fella, though I have to say, he's not the most beautiful mini in the world. Still, he's the great necromancer, so enough said. This month I plan on getting at least one base of spirit host done.

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
Today, I've *nearly* finished my cannon:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi197.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa260%2Fbugstomper16%2FVampire%2520Counts%2Fcannon1.jpg&hash=046663a7ade705c4ff7f08dbc3c37678

And completed two bases of spirit hosts:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi197.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa260%2Fbugstomper16%2FVampire%2520Counts%2Fspirithosts.jpg&hash=313ad9281aafa2bd2fd23d3c82660ca7

The photos from my wife's 'phone make the painting look a LOT rougher than it really is!

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
The cannon is a resin set by Fenryll:

http://www.fenryll.com/en/category-13.html

I picked it up on ebay for just over a fiver. Fenryll make some seriously nice undead chariots as well that I'm considering buying.

Mr Saturday

Vampire Count
True Blood
Ooo...nice bits on there. Great vampire, nice chariots and all. I might have to look up that cannon meself! Cheers for the link!

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
I've finished another two bases of Spirit Hosts today. Onto the rather poor mobile 'phone photos! :)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi197.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa260%2Fbugstomper16%2FVampire%2520Counts%2Fspirithosts1.jpg&hash=8d4ccc2174b8ca20fe340ed9665d7c6e

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi197.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa260%2Fbugstomper16%2FVampire%2520Counts%2Fspirithosts2.jpg&hash=007684f7afc8d88d3702dec9684feff2

Now that these are done I need to pull my finger out and finish my cannon off, which will be about a 3 hour job. Once the cannon is finished it's back to finishing off my zombies, which will be about a three day job.

Very nice Bug, I'm digging the models but you gotta fill me in on how you did your bases to look like "fresh" grave ground(if that makes sense). I've been looking at a lot of basing ideas for a little while and thats what I would like mine to look like.:mrgreen: Again, great job.

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
Ta for the nice comments. :)

Because I only have one model per base I decided that each base would have a grave on it (three have headstones, one an open grave) giving the impression that the spirits were protecting their burial ground.

It looked odd having a flat base with a grave marker stuck on it so I put a lot of green stuff down around each spirit to make the base very uneven, moreso around the grave markers. You can't see it too well on these photos (ok, you can't see all that much too well on these photos!).

I then covered the base in quite coarse sand, painted it bestial brown, inked the sand with brown ink, drybrushed with 50/50 bestial brown/bleached bone, drybrushed bleached bone, then drybrushed *very* lightly with skull white. It's sounds a lot but it only takes a few minutes. Finally I glued a lot of static grass on the bases, much more than I do on a normal 20mm base.

Edited to add: The flock I use is "Summer Mix" which is available from most model railway stores. You get about three times the amount for the same price GW charge.

Another quick edit as I found a picture of the Spirit Hosts that shows the bases better:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi197.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa260%2Fbugstomper16%2FVampire%2520Counts%2Fspirithosts3.jpg&hash=abd3dae173032d661de977ee12c3e449

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
I really like his cloak and glowing eyes. :)

Not sure about the grey base though.

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
Ok people, how've we all been doing in February? I finished four bases of Spirit Hosts (seen above) and I've got 14 zombies completed (no pics yet).

This month I've got another 16 zombies (I found some more to paint, not sure if that's a good thing or not! ;) ), I've got to finish that cannon off and a Black Coach to build then paint. Should be a fun and varied month! :)

Hello im new here and well just trying to join in and all, but i wish to peldge that with new VC on the way/already here i want to paint the remaining 130 models of my 1000pt Skaven army ASAP. I say asap because i dont paint that fast and i dont always have time to paint anyway but i try and i hope to get them done soon so i can get some vampires on the go!!!

Bug16

Vampire Count
True Blood
Welcome to the board! :) You don't have to paint VC's to be a part of the monthly painting pledge. Your Skaven will do just fine. :)