• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Finally some usage for the Crimson Gem of Lahmia?

Drakim

Skeleton
Count Mannfred is allowed to take two Arcane Items. Skull Staff and Crimson Gem of Lahmia might be a good choice in my humble opinion.

It's clear from reading around that most players considure Crimson Gem of Lahmia to be absolute trash, and I agree for the most part.

However, Mannfred seems especially well adapted to using it. He has five wounds, which means you won't risk yourself as greatly as a regular Lord does when he looses one wound, and he has more wounds to tap into should he need power dice in one particular magic phrase.

The trick is that since Mannfred knows 13 spells, there are several that can heal you. These include Summon Undead Horde which could be used to heal one wound to Mannfred, and then heal up the rest of your army. Next is Steal Soul, which hardly needs an explanation, and lastly IoN. Obviously using the Gem to make a powerdie to heal yourself with IoN is counter productive, but those three spells allows you to heal up to 3 wounds a round, so you can use a few and still be able to get them back this or the next turn.

Somebody probably already thought about this, but I figured I'd just throw it out into the wild.

Edit: Steal Soul also allows you to go above your maximum amount of wounds. Imagine unleashing a lot of powerdice that you "saved up" though extra wounds!

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I would consider trying out in a casual or friendly game a few times. It does look like there's an opportunity for some potential fun...

Let us know how it goes!

The Crimson Gem with the Blood Drinker is a good combo, provided you can find some trashy unit to kill in order to heal yourself.

I would imagine that the gem will have some use in eight edition; where the difference between casting and dispelling dice will be very small.

Drakim

Skeleton
StirogiPerogi said:
The Crimson Gem with the Blood Drinker is a good combo, provided you can find some trashy unit to kill in order to heal yourself.

I would imagine that the gem will have some use in eight edition; where the difference between casting and dispelling dice will be very small.
The problem is that a Lord only has 3 wounds, so he could at the very best generate two extra power dice and heal them back with blood drinker, being at 1 wound when he enters combat, which is scary incase of a suprise assassin or something like that.

Mannfred has five wounds, and can heal himself up safely at distance.

Imagine if Mannfred manages to inflict 3 wounds at regular rank&file troops (and they break from the battle), that's 3 extra power dice, and then in his next magic phase, sacrifices 4 wounds for more power dice. That's 7 extra just out of the blue, in addition to the 6 he already generates.

It's rare for a single wizard to be able to output 13 powerdice and have +1 to cast :3, and I don't think the opponent will have the same surge of dispel dice ready to meet the magic challenge. And Mannfreds 13 spells will make sure you have tons of things to cast.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
It's a really good concept, but leaving your General on one wound for any reason is really putting your balls on the table, and handing your opponent a Mallet.

I wish you the best, but since I don't even use Mannfredd I can't try this out. I avoid Lord level special characters, personally. Konrad is just too fun to leave at home, though.

Let us know how it goes, if you try it out.

Drakim said:
StirogiPerogi said:

The problem is that a Lord only has 3 wounds, so he could at the very best generate two extra power dice and heal them back with blood drinker, being at 1 wound when he enters combat, which is scary incase of a suprise assassin or something like that.
The Gem costs 20 points--for 2 extra dice at a "clutch" time, it could be worth it. Sure this is risky, even foolish, but if you can get another VDM when you really need it, then wounds be damned!

Drakim

Skeleton
One thing you should considerer is that since Mannfred barely has any protection, neither any wardsave nor decent armor, you aren't really supposed to be putting him in harms way in the first place. Even if he has five wounds, it doesn't take much to beat him down with just about anything. It makes his magic sword kinda dumb, but what can you do? Nothing like having an assassin spring up in your face and kill your general and 40% of the points in your army in one go.

If Mannfred is out of harm's way, by taking the wizard-with-bodyguards role, dropping down a few wounds isn't that bad.