• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

First AOS tournament - list advice for 1750pts. Help appreciated

I am off in May to my first ever AOS tournament. I want to be fun to play against and not get steam rollered, but not aiming to to be super competitive. Its matched play at 1750 points. This is the list I am thinking of running:

- Neferata (440)
- Necromancer (120)
- Vampire Lord (140)
- 3 Crypt Horrors (140)
- 5 Dire Wolves (60)
- 5 Dire Wolves (60)

Battalion: Legion of Death (60)
- Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blad
- 10 Skeletons (spears) (80)
- 10 Skeletons (spears) (80)
- 10 Skeletons (swords) (80)
- 5 Black Knights (120)
- 15 Graveguard (240)

Thoughts? I was wondering whether i should swap neferata and the crypt horrors for Manfred and 3 spirit hosts. Is that a good idea? Cant see how to squeeze a mourngal in but if you can see a way just say! (can you explain any suggestions you make - pretty new to AOS and Death)

I don't know... what are the tactics you have in mind?

I'm asking because your list is full of strong models, but i don't see how they work together. Try to explain.

Neferata. Great general, wonderful command ability
Vampire Lord. Great general, wonderful command ability.
One of them will perform under its potential.

Crypt horrors. Tough guys. 6 of them, flanked by a Ghol King are an excellent elite unit, but you have 3, and without GK...

Dire Wolves. one of my favourite unit. Cheap, nice save, high move, they can act as screen, take objectives and so on. Nothing to say against them, but you need some strong core, and this leads us to...

3 x 10 skellies. Yeah, i get that you need them for the Battalion (Legion of Death? isn't the deathrattle horde?), but you can't count on them, except as disposable screen for you Wight King or something similar (sitting upon an uncontested objective).

Black knights are nice also, but they lack a real combat strenght, unless against other similar units.

You only real punchline is the unit of 15 GG... and I fear it's too little.

so as a rough plan, I am hoping on neferata's command abilty and the vampire lords spell to reduce the number of attacks i will be getting hit with. both of these units can fly so should be able to get where i need.

The legion of death battalion is partly because I need three battleline, and partly to give me some extra movement. the skeletons are there to hold uncontested objectives and because of battleline requirements. Hopefully the extra movement will help get where i need faster and more reliably. The black knights are part of the formation and can hopefully tarpit weaker units/ones without rend. Not expecting much from them but they are part of the formation and in the games i have played so far, and against units without rend have been a real pain for opponents to move. The wight king will move up with the GG as a resilient unit with punch. The necromancer's spell will hopefully add to their punch.

as you said, dire wolves there for speed and objectives.

I had about 150 points after this and the crypt horrors fitted the bill. Like i said, i am unsure about swapping out neferata and the horrors with Mannfred and spirit hosts.

does this help?

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
I agree with @Unas the slayer, The Battalion warscroll is only good in high numbers. You need way more skeletons (at least double what you have listed) to make it strong. You might consider taking baby Mannfred instead of the vampire lord. He's similar in cost and gives a death unit rerolls 1s to hit and wound for his command ability. That with Vanhels is nasty. I would drop the direwolves and the horrors if you want to keep the battalion and use those points to either double all of the skeletons or double the grave guard.

Another option could be: drop the VL (hard choice, i like it very much), the horrors and one of the wolves' unit (keeping the other one, which is always useful).
It's 340 pts, so 4 "block upgrades" for your skeletons and your Guards, divided as you like more. With Death trait and the Banner of the king they should also be enough resilient. 1470 pts (so you'll have a chance to roll for an advantage on the triumph table)
You'll have a slow but large grinding block (backed up by the Necromancer and the WK), and a couple of fast units for objectives (BK and DW), plus Neferata.

Lack of shooting, but hey.

@Unas the slayer - thats an interesting suggestion.

Part of my thinking was to see the skeletons as disposable and not worry about them doing much - i have run units of 20 i have in the past and had situations where even with a bravery of 10 they lose a tonne of guys through battleshock to anything semi descent (which i assume there will be plenty of at a tournament?). I was hoping to just take the minimum sized squads and not expect anything of them and put the points elsewhere. also, with all the deathrattle units, would arkhan be a more appropriate mortarch to bring?

if it helps, model wise i already have:
I already have: Arkhan, 30 skeletons (20 with spears, 10 with swords), 9 Grave Guard (lost one), 5 Black Knights, Necromancer, Necromancer on nightmare, Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade, Cairn Wraith, Banshee and 10 dire wolves. I have a budget of around £90 to add extras for this tournament - so feel free to live through me and spend my money! :tongue:

I guess after what people have said I could just drop the battalion and black knights and use the points to bulk the skeletons and graveguard?

Along with 20 graveguard and neferata is there enough "threat" I'm bring to the table? Or just keep the 3 skeleton units minimum and use the 240 points I would save on something like morghast harbringers?

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Honestly, the battalion isn't great. It's not even good. I wouldn't use it in competition. Maybe you should playtest your list a few times against other armies and see how it works.

Honestly, the battalion isn't great. It's not even good. I wouldn't use it in competition. Maybe you should playtest your list a few times against other armies and see how it works.
Well, if you are already planning to field a huge block of skeletons, at least the battalion is cheap and let you pick a second death artefact.
2x10 units of skellies to sit on objective, and 30x skellies with absolutely no less than 20 GG. It's not so awful (but for tarpit tactics, zombies are better).

That said, yeah, playtest is the key.