• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

First impressions of the Undead Legion

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
So, the Nagash Undead Legion is out there. I like to know your impressions. What you like, anything you don't like and how you and your meta plan to use the rules in your local scene.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
I hope to pick up the book(s) later today, but I really hope I get a chance to play with the Legion army list. Gonna have to consult my gaming buddies about it.

I really don't like what we know so far about the lore of undeath, though. Elite troops, monsters and characters popping up out of nowhere. It just doesn't sit right with me, thematically.

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
I will start reading it on my iPad very soon. I really like the iPad versions they put out, rules from the BRB are hyperlinked with a popup with the rule in question fully explained. It seems they touch on every race can't wait to start the reading! The neferata fluff in her entry is very cool, jumped straight to that :)

Banat

Varghulf
I'm still letting myself get absorbed into the book... pondering whether to start work on Nagash immediately or finish off painting up my core (at least.... those Black Knights still need done too...).

I would heed Undeath users not to underestimate #3, Soul Stealer. Those additional D3 counters will help bolster your summons very quickly. I think #1 Breath of Darkness is also going to be highly valuable as both a movement and a healing spell. Assume you get off Breath, followed by Soul Stealer. That's a minimum of 3 counters already, plus potentially 2 more... 30-50pts more you could spend on your third spell, Grave Call. Unfortunately I don't think Grave Call is really valid at the natural casting value, IMHO it needs to be boosted to 100pts (14+) in order for that unit to make an impact on the table. My intention is to spam units of archers with Grave Call... 150pts would net you ~12-13 archers w/ light armour, or 15 or so with no save.

How many points are TK chariots? Is 150pts enough for a unit of 3? Same goes for Sepulchrul Stalkers. If you saved up 5 counters (2 turns worth of spell casting? 1 turn in a larger game with more LoU wizards on the table) you could get a basic unit of blood knights onto the board in a rear charge position in turn 3...

GDD

Grave Guard
For list possibilities..

Evil magic phase

Casket of souls 65 slaves, adds d3 power dice to your pool. Hireotitan 87,5 slaves, adds d3 to your casting total. Mortis engine adds 2+ to the casting total if using LoV... They all stack now :D And they all fit in your rare allowance! And you can still use the two first ones, and LoDeath...

Evil constructs

Mortis engine x2 + a Necrotect = 4+ regen constructs. This can mean having 3+as 4+rs Necro knights, as well as t8 sphinxes with a 4+rs. Or go Ushabti crazy.

All cav

We can now also field all cav armies with the TK horsemen as core, since they can now march within 12" of the army general. Nice and fluffy.

Buffed infantry

Kings and Princes give ws 6&5 to the units they join. Necrotects give hatred. You can get useful cc core with this, and if you run grave guard then this should mean christmas for you.

So life is good right now. We just became high tier I think.

Picked up the book today...and DEAR LORD OF UNDEATH IS FULL OF GOODIES!

That being said it now is possible, through the combination of armies to field a ranged Undead army...let alone that Cavalry army I've always dreamed of!

I don't think I will/would use to much out of the TK book tbh, I know that's probably a bad thing considering the crazy combo's you can run in the book but I just like the VC units.

That being said...that Bone Giant I always used as a Varghulf in my Neferata army...you know cause what vampire queen doesn't have a bone giant...is now officially a freaking bone giant! I'll be totally adding more constructs to her army!

I don't really roll with the META when I play, I go with what feels good and looks cool. I'll tell you one thing though..its made me want to dust of the other armies I have..not to mention dig out my Zombie Pirates!

Banat

Varghulf
Am I correct in hearing that TK Princes give WS5 to the units they join? A horde of WS5 zombies!? WS5 Black Knights (can the Prince be mounted?), WS5 ghouls, skellies!? 50% Heroes makes the possibility of a prince in every core unit a reality!

GDD

Grave Guard
@Banat Yes. And a necrotect will also give them hatred. Don't forget banner of the barrows as well ;D

EDIT: TK/TP cannot ride horses for what ever stupid reason... Curses...

Last edited:

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
So WS5, hatred skeletons, with spears in horde formation, buffed by your level 4 shadow vamp lord casting okkam's mindrazor for S10, so 37ish WS5 rerollable hits with S10.. Hmm, I can live with that! ;)

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
I noticed that it said there are no duplicate entries limitations for lords. So in a 4000 game = 2 Nagashes?!

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
So the book says that it changes warhammer, like edition 8.5. So what I get from this:
A) VC and TK no longer suffer from slain general.
B) Undead Legions is a new army that can be fielded in regular matches.
C) Forbidden Lore can now be used for Undeath.
D)Our characters (at least Vlad and Mannfred) have been updated.

Some questions regarding new rules:
1) if you summon a necromancer, which lore(s) does he know? If you get to decide, do you roll for the spell? 2)Is Undead Legions a Force of Destruction or is it unaligned for purposes of alliances?

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
So the book says that it changes warhammer, like edition 8.5. So what I get from this:

Some questions regarding new rules:
1) if you summon a necromancer, which lore(s) does he know? If you get to decide, do you roll for the spell? 2)Is Undead Legions a Force of Destruction or is it unaligned for purposes of alliances?
You've afsked the same questions in the "upcomming warhammer fantasy realeases- Including Nagash and new VC stuff"-thread, I've answered there to the best of my ability, hope they help :)

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Something else that I noticed on Vlad is that his Hunger restores wounds on a 4+ and then his sword does the same thing. Does he get to roll twice?

Banat

Varghulf
Something else that I noticed on Vlad is that his Hunger restores wounds on a 4+ and then his sword does the same thing. Does he get to roll twice?
No. It says in brackets at the end of the The Hunger "(Normally this would occur on a D6 on a roll of 6 but this is improved by Blood Drinker, below)."

RobTheWise

Grave Guard
Is this legit or just assumptions? Especially regarding point "B)"? Not got my book yet :-(

Banat

Varghulf
Undead Legion is a new army, they take their own special army rules, which are essentially a combo of VC and TK but they disregard certain elements. VC and TK special rules are not uses, as stated on p.18 of Nagash Book II.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
No. It says in brackets at the end of the The Hunger "(Normally this would occur on a D6 on a roll of 6 but this is improved by Blood Drinker, below)."
Right, but it must be "misprint" because that's what his Hunger rule says too.

Vallasch

The Nightmare of Nordland
Catapults will most certainly making an appearance in my legion. Just wonder how would others go about using Skelly archers though? my other army is dark elves whose ranged units have the option for full command, magic banners and shields so I just tend to use them as core infantry and swift reform them as necessary. Not quite sure on the best way to use simple dedicated missile units. I'm trying to assemble enough bits to make 30, using TK arms on VC bodies. I know they're slightly out of proportion but I think I may just get away with it.

How you lot go about using them. A single large unit, 2x15 or MSU 3x10? I suppose if they're all together it makes it less likely the unit can be destroyed before it's healed.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Catapults will most certainly making an appearance in my legion. Just wonder how would others go about using Skelly archers though? my other army is dark elves whose ranged units have the option for full command, magic banners and shields so I just tend to use them as core infantry and swift reform them as necessary. Not quite sure on the best way to use simple dedicated missile units. I'm trying to assemble enough bits to make 30, using TK arms on VC bodies. I know they're slightly out of proportion but I think I may just get away with it.

How you lot go about using them. A single large unit, 2x15 or MSU 3x10? I suppose if they're all together it makes it less likely the unit can be destroyed before it's healed.
I played a TK once that had bowline of archers 30 long with two ranks. He used some spell to give them re-rolls to hit... Not fun.

150pts would net you ~12-13 archers w/ light armour, or 15 or so with no save.

How many points are TK chariots? Is 150pts enough for a unit of 3? Same goes for Sepulchrul Stalkers. If you saved up 5 counters (2 turns worth of spell casting? 1 turn in a larger game with more LoU wizards on the table) you could get a basic unit of blood knights onto the board in a rear charge position in turn 3...
Skeleton archers are 6 points, or 7 with armour, so assuming you don't want command you could get 21 with armour or 26 without.

Chariots are 55 apiece, so no, 150 would not get you three. Probably better to save up counters and get them command and maybe a magic banner

Sepulchral Stalkers are the same price and have no command options.

Feel free to ask me about other costs, I have the book literally right next to me.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but does Raze Dead allow us to use the points for upgrades? I have been under the impression that it just allows for base models and any extra points would be lost.