• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

First timer with VC

Hi i'm a first timer !
I never played with VC or played against it, I played orcs and goblins but then quit for a while.

So i was wondering if this list i made is any good?
keeping in mind that i want to stay under the 1000 points just to learn the army a little better.

for the core units i have chosen;

15 skeletons with full command and the banner of the dead legion.
165 points.(twice)

15 crypt ghouls with a crypt ghast 88 points.

for the heroes;
vampire with dark acolyte and lord of the dead,
helm of commandment and sword of might. 190p
vampire with dark acolyte summon ghouls sceptre de noirot and a dispel scroll. 185p

For a special unit i have chosen for grave gaurd with great weapons and a full command. 160p

If u guys have any improvements I will be happy to hear them.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
To be honest mate I would not play any games for a short bit, the new vampire counts rule book is out to buy on the 21st of next month so if you hammer it now to try and learn the book it will not be relevant in under a months time.

However just to help you out in regards to your list.
First off your points:

You can not take the same banner on your Skeletons twice as its a magic banner and Banner of the Dead legion no longer can be taken as unit strength is now different in 8th edition than it was in the 7th edition when the current Vampire counts book was made.

So we will say 2 units of Skellies with full command:

15 Skeletons with full command: 140 Points

"15 crypt ghouls with a crypt ghast 88 points."
Your points value her is wrong, it should be 128 Points.

15 crypt ghouls with a crypt ghast: 128 points.

For the heroes;
vampire with dark acolyte summon ghouls sceptre de noirot and a dispel scroll. 185p

Ok there is allot to go over here.
In the current rules you may take up to 25% of your army as heros, 25% as lords, 25% as rare, up to 50% as special and a minimum of 25% as core.
Your combined character cost above for heros is 375 points which means you would need to be playing in games of 1500 points or higher.

Now for the first vampires gear, Do not take Dark Acolyte, take forbidden lore instead, its 5 points more and he will know his entire selected lore of magic.
I suggest either Vampires or Death, Either way you will still be able to cast invocation as all vampires know this spell.
Helm of command is a good piece of kit but you have to remember that he would have to stay out of combat to use this, now death magic is close range so in this instance stick with lore of vampires.
Sword of might, nothing is wrong with this item however you now have to think to yourself you have a 190 point character with no saves of any sort..... In short he will die.... fast and then your army will crumble to dust without its leader. (Assuming this vampire is your general of course)
Now you have taken the Lord of the Dead trait, is a decent trait, no arguing however skeletons Die very easy, they have poor Weapon skill and cost more than the equivalent in other armies, due to this I would recommend ghouls instead if you have the models to field the amount needed.

Your second Vampire, once again drop dark Acolyte for Forbidden lore, Summon Ghouls is a great choice here, ghouls are your strongest core choice and can cut through anything due to their large number of attacks, always in the current rule book field them as a preference over skeletons if you intend to rush into combat, however they unlike skeletons with basic gear get no saves, the skeletons will get a 5_ followed by a 6+ parry in combat, the ghouls get nothing but 1 extra toughness which makes them harder to wound in the first place, however the Ghouls also have a higher Weapon Skill, More attacks and have poison so they will deal allot more wounds so more than likely they will not end up losing combat like skeletons normally do so will not crumble to dust as a result.

"sceptre de noirot" is a nice little item, however you have to remember when casting Raise dead (if you get that spell considering that forbidden lore was not a option) will summon a unit of zombies that are worth 50 victory points if killed by your foe, now take into consideration the fact they are useless and I do not hesitate in saying they are the weakest model in the game and would not waste my time summoning them unless I wanted to have them pop up in front of a cannon or re direct a foes charge.

A dispel scroll is a good item though, that should stay right where it is.

Now if I was to make a hero at low points I would take a Vampire with the Flayed Hauberk giving him a 2+ armour save, Dispel Scroll, Forbidden Lore in Vampires and Summon ghouls totaling 200 Points.
Not a shabby general at low points though I would still be heavily tempted by lore of death and I still think its better at low points with a general that will be on the front rank.

For a special unit i have chosen for grave gaurd with great weapons and a full command. 160p
Grave Guard are a great choice, only issue here is that you have 10 of them with Great Weapons, due to this they are striking last with only a 5+ save which means if you fight in combat which they will you will lose attacks before you have even had the chance to strike a blow and then only half your attacks will hit on a 4+, yes you will wound on 2's most the time but at low points this unit will die before it can do any real damage due to its lack of defense, you are better keeping them with shields so they get a 4+ save with a 6+ parry to follow so they can at least attack at the same time as others, I run a Great weapon Grave Guard unit but it is also 30 strong, below that it starts to get iffy, certainly never run less than 21 in 7 wide 3 deep in my eyes but that my experience and my own personal view.

Now the unit with regular hand weapon and shield costs: 150 points
Which makes the new total for your army: 858 Points.
I would suggest for your army to take Ghouls instead of Skeletons, this will also save 24 points over the 2 units bringing your total to 834, now take a Corpse Cart that has a bound spell ASF ability and regeneration, not much in combat but it can buff your troops, now thats 909 points.
Slap 8 more Grave Guard in for 86 points making your army total 995 points.
Stick the Scarecrow Banner on it just to make your army 1000 points total as it can be spent no where else and you are golden.

I hope you found my advice useful, good luck and I hope you enjoy using vampire counts. xD

Duke Danse Macabre said:
To be honest mate I would not play any games for a short bit, the new vampire counts rule book is out to buy on the 21st of next month so if you hammer it now to try and learn the book it will not be relevant in under a months time.

However just to help you out in regards to your list.
First off your points:

You can not take the same banner on your Skeletons twice as its a magic banner and Banner of the Dead legion no longer can be taken as unit strength is now different in 8th edition than it was in the 7th edition when the current Vampire counts book was made.

So we will say 2 units of Skellies with full command:

"15 crypt ghouls with a crypt ghast 88 points."
Your points value her is wrong, it should be 128 Points.

15 crypt ghouls with a crypt ghast: 128 points.

For the heroes;

Ok there is allot to go over here.
In the current rules you may take up to 25% of your army as heros, 25% as lords, 25% as rare, up to 50% as special and a minimum of 25% as core.
Your combined character cost above for heros is 375 points which means you would need to be playing in games of 1500 points or higher.

Now for the first vampires gear, Do not take Dark Acolyte, take forbidden lore instead, its 5 points more and he will know his entire selected lore of magic.
I suggest either Vampires or Death, Either way you will still be able to cast invocation as all vampires know this spell.
Helm of command is a good piece of kit but you have to remember that he would have to stay out of combat to use this, now death magic is close range so in this instance stick with lore of vampires.
Sword of might, nothing is wrong with this item however you now have to think to yourself you have a 190 point character with no saves of any sort..... In short he will die.... fast and then your army will crumble to dust without its leader. (Assuming this vampire is your general of course)
Now you have taken the Lord of the Dead trait, is a decent trait, no arguing however skeletons Die very easy, they have poor Weapon skill and cost more than the equivalent in other armies, due to this I would recommend ghouls instead if you have the models to field the amount needed.

Your second Vampire, once again drop dark Acolyte for Forbidden lore, Summon Ghouls is a great choice here, ghouls are your strongest core choice and can cut through anything due to their large number of attacks, always in the current rule book field them as a preference over skeletons if you intend to rush into combat, however they unlike skeletons with basic gear get no saves, the skeletons will get a 5_ followed by a 6+ parry in combat, the ghouls get nothing but 1 extra toughness which makes them harder to wound in the first place, however the Ghouls also have a higher Weapon Skill, More attacks and have poison so they will deal allot more wounds so more than likely they will not end up losing combat like skeletons normally do so will not crumble to dust as a result.

"sceptre de noirot" is a nice little item, however you have to remember when casting Raise dead (if you get that spell considering that forbidden lore was not a option) will summon a unit of zombies that are worth 50 victory points if killed by your foe, now take into consideration the fact they are useless and I do not hesitate in saying they are the weakest model in the game and would not waste my time summoning them unless I wanted to have them pop up in front of a cannon or re direct a foes charge.

A dispel scroll is a good item though, that should stay right where it is.

Now if I was to make a hero at low points I would take a Vampire with the Flayed Hauberk giving him a 2+ armour save, Dispel Scroll, Forbidden Lore in Vampires and Summon ghouls totaling 200 Points.
Not a shabby general at low points though I would still be heavily tempted by lore of death and I still think its better at low points with a general that will be on the front rank.

Grave Guard are a great choice, only issue here is that you have 10 of them with Great Weapons, due to this they are striking last with only a 5+ save which means if you fight in combat which they will you will lose attacks before you have even had the chance to strike a blow and then only half your attacks will hit on a 4+, yes you will wound on 2's most the time but at low points this unit will die before it can do any real damage due to its lack of defense, you are better keeping them with shields so they get a 4+ save with a 6+ parry to follow so they can at least attack at the same time as others, I run a Great weapon Grave Guard unit but it is also 30 strong, below that it starts to get iffy, certainly never run less than 21 in 7 wide 3 deep in my eyes but that my experience and my own personal view.

Now the unit with regular hand weapon and shield costs: 150 points
Which makes the new total for your army: 858 Points.
I would suggest for your army to take Ghouls instead of Skeletons, this will also save 24 points over the 2 units bringing your total to 834, now take a Corpse Cart that has a bound spell ASF ability and regeneration, not much in combat but it can buff your troops, now thats 909 points.
Slap 8 more Grave Guard in for 86 points making your army total 995 points.
Stick the Scarecrow Banner on it just to make your army 1000 points total as it can be spent no where else and you are golden.

I hope you found my advice useful, good luck and I hope you enjoy using vampire counts. xD
wow thx mate for helping me out good thing i didnt buy anything new to add in the army im gonna follow all of ur suggestions really a lot of thanksies ! :d

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Well just remember to have fun and you should be fine mate, your more than welcome.

Anyway this is the images of what we are getting:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5988177&postcount=1720
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5988194&postcount=1724

We are currently talking about it in:
https://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Official-Rumour-Thread-New-Vampire-Counts-Book?page=33