• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Fixing Fear

Vipoid

Necromancer
Just wondering if anyone thinks that the Fear rule needs improving?

(Either the rule itself, or its interaction with IP, BSBs etc.)

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
I think it does. What it should do is a) unit can't use Battle Standard Bearer/Inspiring Presence or b) unit can't attack or even c) keep it as is (reduced to WS 1) but automatic rather instead of if a Leadership test is failed.

Easy way to fix fear. If you fail your fear test you cannot benefit from steadfast as discipline goes out the window if ya fear something

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
I don't know if it needs a buff, but it needs to be priced appropriately. Part of the problem with Vampires in 8th edition is that they don't benefit from many of the perks of being alive, their BSB is crap, and the benefits of fear are minimal. So Skeletons losing combat still crumble like they used to, get stuff all benefit from having a BSB nearby, and even if my opponent fails his fear test (On re-rollable LD10? Yeah, right) who cares?

But skeletons (and many other units) aren't priced with that taken fully into consideration. Either Fear needs a buff, or the Undead rules need tweaking, or the prices need adjusting.

Personally, I think the best option is to re-work the Undead rule, so that Undead units are simply unbreakable with the caveat that any unit starting it's turn more than 12" from a wizard using the lore of Vampires (or 18" from the General) takes crumble tests.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Blutsauger said:
Personally, I think the best option is to re-work the Undead rule, so that Undead units are simply unbreakable with the caveat that any unit starting it's turn more than 12" from a wizard using the lore of Vampires (or 18" from the General) takes crumble tests.
That would do it.

Thindol

Grave Guard
Show up to your next game dressed like Sailor Moon...with a REALLY short mini skirt...telling everyone you like to give hugs...

That should fix fear, maybe even inspire sheer terror.

Vipoid

Necromancer
Thindol said:
Show up to your next game dressed like Sailor Moon...with a REALLY short mini skirt...telling everyone you like to give hugs...

That should fix fear, maybe even inspire sheer terror.
:scared:

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
I think they should get rid of it all together.
Keep terror, that makes sense.
Can you tell me why a Warrior of Chaos would be fearful of skeleton?

Aren

Crypt Horror
Really? BBB at least a chaos warrior won't mess around, if he is going to kill something he will just thrust it with a sword or other weapon and kill it as efficiently as possible. Now think of zombies, a mass of writhing, rotting flesh. You try to fight but there are too many, the weight is bearing you down, you can see hands coming towards your face. Your screams are muffled by the sheer amount of bodies as chipped, decaying fingers pry into your eye sockets. You see no more but you can feel the agony as the claws hook around your eye sockets and start wrenching and pulling. Simultaneously a hand is shoved in your mouth and desperately tries to reach your brain through the roof of your mouth. Then, a sickening crack and your skull is torn in two pieces and the feast begins.

Yes, Warriors of Chaos have every right to fear the undead, especially if they know what is going to happen to them.

As for the rule it should give a -1 ld 6" bubble around the unit. That plus tests are not rerollable. So you can still pass it but not as often. As for effects they are the same, 1ws for failed unit.

Vipoid

Necromancer
bigbadbat said:
I think the stranger aspect is that a single skeleton shambling into their phalanx evokes just as much fear as coming face to face with a Vampire Lord. :rolleyes:

Minty

Grave Guard
bigbadbat said:
That's what Leadership is supposed to (and so manifestly fails to) represent.

A Chaos Warrior can feel fear, but his high leadership indicates that he's very unlikely to be frightened.

The trouble is, right now, almost everything in the game is exactly as brave as everything else - and that is magnificently, nigh unshakably brave.

Fear is fine, it's courage that's borked.

Fear could work with this simple fix.

Fear: When engaged in close combat with an opponent that causes fear, the unit may not gain the Steadfast rule.

Terror: When charged by, or charging a Terror causing unit roll a leadership test. if failed the unit does not count any rank bonuses. Terror causing units also cause fear.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
HeroZero said:

Fear: When engaged in close combat with an opponent that causes fear, the unit may not gain the Steadfast rule.

Terror: When charged by, or charging a Terror causing unit roll a leadership test. if failed the unit does not count any rank bonuses. Terror causing units also cause fear.
I like that a lot.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Yes. That's a useful way of doing it. Would this mean Terror is not immune to Fear and count Terror as fear? And would this mean Skaven wouldn't get Strength in Numbers?

Terror would still get immunity to fear, and fear would still count terror as fear, I just didn't feel like typing that out.
Skaven would still get SiN. Armybooks always trump main book.

Oi herozone. You stole my fear idea mentioned earlier in thread! Thats copyright infringement that is lol

I agree with the terror idea too

Zhatan

Necromancer
HeroZero said:

That would fix fear but it might actually make it too good instead. Steadfast and rank bonus is so important in 8th imo.