• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Flash Fiction: One More Step

You hear it then: a tapping, the patter of fleshless fingertips between the stalactites. Overhead, blackness, impenetrable except for that sound and something else, almost inaudible, a keening pitch. Scree scatters before your boots, the darkness a precipice over which you dangle, every step your last. One more. Up ahead, a glimmer of light. One more. The entrance is in sight. One more. They are waiting for you, outside, unpacking the camp by torchlight and the glare of the Silver Moons. One more —

Wait.

Silence descends over you like a fresh darkness. What of the tapping? Nothing, just that whine, needling into your ears, growing higher, cutting sharper. The dead wolf’s bite didn’t wound so deep. Your bark echoes around you. The blackness swallows it utterly, then spits it back in a scrabble of scratches and the flutter of wing beats. I imagine a mainsail filling over and over with competing winds, impossibly vast in the shadows. Run run run —

My every footfall kicks pebbles and stones, glottal pops marking my flight. One more step.

A smell washes over me, a rotting ride. One more step.

The entrance looms before me, my exit now, and I make out the silhouettes of my comrades, moving about camp. Is that their laughter I hear, or have I gone mad?

One more step —

Last edited:

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Good way of establishing the atmosphere. Really getting the idea of how they're feeling.

Dying for more (um).

Unless that's it, in which case...

P.S. Just realised you're new. Hi, and welcome to the land of Undeath. Enjoy your stay.

Hi, Count Vashra! Cheers for stopping by and commenting on the piece.

Yes, new-ish here. I had an account about 10 years ago but have recently become active in the hobby again and thought it was time for a fresh start.

That's it for this piece — just a stream of consciousness about a person fleeing through the dark. I'm enjoying writing a variety of stuff at the moment, so I'll try to post a bit more over the coming weeks.

Thanks for the welcome!