• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Flukey dice rolls and Gaming Superstitions.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
After having fun discussing this with a space marine player in dead space, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread about this.
What superstitions to do with dice rolls do you have? How flukey are your dice rolls?

Heres mine.
1# If its mine, its a rocket launcher. If its the enemy, I make it a point to always call it a miss-ile launcher before they fire it. Calling it something with "miss" in it seems to decrease its accuracy alot.
2# My guardsmen's lasguns have a habit of being far more killy than they should, while my Leman Russ Battle Tank's never pay for themselves, due to sheer bad luck in the shooting phase when using tanks, and my flukey dice rolls when using lasguns. (Terminators think they are safe with their 2+ armour saves, until I somehow hit and wound with an unrealistic amount of lasgun shots and they somehow fail way too many saves) Seriously, I have shot at a 10 man terminator squad with a 10 man guardsmen squad... and killed 2 of them in that one volley. It wasnt even rapid fire or first rank/second rank. Just 8 lasgun shots and 2 failed 2+ armour saves.
3# Always think positive. A single negative thought will turn the entire game against you.
4# If there is a compulsuary test I have to take, like stupidity, I will fail it at some point in the game.
5# Guardsmen do not seem to ever fail their leadership tests, I dont even need commissars to keep them in line.
6# If I stick a squad in some ruins, it will survive. I have never lost a squad that was in ruins (one squad survived an entire game of shooting in ruins, including 3 landspeeders with assault cannons shooting at them almost every turn, 2 rounds of thunderfire cannon fire and a whirlwind taking potshots at them)

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
I have a big black die w/ bulletholes for numbers that I suspect may be cursed.
I can ussually count on my roomie rolling an 11 for a pivotal LD test at some point :slapface:.
I have failed with "The Cupped hands" on my Slann,more times than I've succeeded.
Anytime I use poison,I murder folk.I seem to be able to roll an inordinate number of sixes.

waaanial00

Grave Guard
I once tried a new method of dice motivation, something I dont suggest people trying when they are trying to win a game :)

For an entire game I decided that for every 1 I rolled I would put that dice in a "fail" area on the board and not use them. Whenever I rolled a 6 I would forgive one of the dice in the "fail" area and encorporate them back into the fold.

I ended up drawing the game I played in, however that was nothing to do with the trial. I havent done it since :)

I actually try to pick out dice that have low numbers facing up for my next rolls. My reasoning, "The probability of rolling the same number in a row is low, therefore my chances of rolling higher than that number is higher!"

It never seems to work lol :(

Superstitious, not me... however there always seem to be a few dice that consistently roll low, and when I don't avoid them I get burned, so I avoid them.

I train my dice. I store them so that they're all 6s up, accept for 2 which I store 1s up for Ld and other characteristics tests. That way they know which way to land. I've been doing this since 6th ed with my DE and always seem to hit above average with my RxBs. Wounding is another story though.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Nobody touches my dice. Ever.

If they touch my dice, they buy me new ones, and I don'tt ouch other peoples dice. Fair enough.

That's really the only 'Quirk' I have while playing. =P

When taking animosity tests it tend to help a lot by screaming at the unit taking the test. For example, if I really need to pass that one test during a game it helps to point at the unit and say "NO NOT NOW YOU LITTLE BASTARDS!" or something like that and they'll pass just fine! I tried the opposite once, it ended badly.. True story! Maybe its just my superstition but think it works!:tongue:

Johann Weindorf said:
I train my dice. I store them so that they're all 6s up, accept for 2 which I store 1s up for Ld and other characteristics tests. That way they know which way to land. I've been doing this since 6th ed with my DE and always seem to hit above average with my RxBs. Wounding is another story though.
Nonono! Thats pure luck! The thing is to place the dice with 1's upward, so that they're tired of being like that the next time you roll, and then they prefer rolling 6's.
Of course, this also works the other way around for Ld tests.

1. If the luck of the dice is in your favour, never mention it until after the game, otherwise the dice will betray you.
2. If rolling a 2 or more is vital to the outcome of the game, you will always get a 1.
3. If rolling 3 dice which need 3+ to hit, 2 of them will always miss (not so much a superstition, more an annoying trend)
4. If your opponent has a 2+ armour save he will never fail it no matter how many times he takes it.
5. If you have a 2+ armour save you will fail it.
6. If a cannon shoots at a monster with 6 wounds it will hit it, the monster will fail any applicable saves and the cannon will then cause 6 wounds.
7. Never ever pray over your dice, it will always cause them to betray you.
8. Dwarfs will pass any ld test they ever take, no matter what modifiers they suffer UNLESS the unit is stubborn ld10 with a re-roll, then they will fail.
9. If you worry about being too drunk to play you will lose. If you actually are too drunk to play, you will win.
10. Skaven weapons will never misfire unless you yourself are using them, in which case they will demolish a few of your own units then blue-screen.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Only thing I occasionally do is blow on the dice before rolling.

@Oni: Are you a germaphob or something? No one touches your dice, not even your best friend in a game?

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
@ Grish

No no, not a Germaphobe. I just don't like people touching my dice. :) It's a habit I picked up from when I just started playing Tabletops, whenever my 'Teachers' were zealously guarding their dice in corners of the table, and barking at anyone who even stood close.

It's rather funny in hindsight, because the owner of the store was infamous for turning dice into missiles, and people had remarkably sharp ducking reflexes around him. And he was indiscriminate on who's dice he threw, but if he threw yours you knew it was the worst roll possible for him. :) He almost got into a scrap with a few guys because he tried to grab their dice, which was Taboo.

When in Rome, eh?

Krogholt said:
Nonono! Thats pure luck! The thing is to place the dice with 1's upward, so that they're tired of being like that the next time you roll, and then they prefer rolling 6's.
Of course, this also works the other way around for Ld tests.
You've got it all wrong. When you store dice facing a consistent way, gravity pulls the molecules in the dice down so the dice becomes denser on the opposite side and keeps that side down when rolling them. Horray for pseudo-science!!!

Cobra7

Grave Guard
This might be better in it's own topic but it applies here.

Recently I have noticed my luck has been very very bad for the last 6 games or so with one of them being average. I mean very very bad luck through the entire game. So out of curiosity I started to look for ways to test dice and came across http://www.gamescience.com/

20 minutes, but this guy makes a lot of good points about dice.

I have tried all sorts to get my dice to roll better. Different sets, positive attitude, low rollers to roll wounds. All fail, I currently hold the record for the most 1's in a single roll. The annoying thing is I'm not superstitious at all...

Chorus

Skeleton
i never say what i need to roll before i roll the dice.If i do, bad things happens. ( 2 + armor save + with reroll on failed armor saves = guess what :( ).
after rolls : high rolls go one pile, low rolls another.
Whenever i need low rolls, i take for the high roll pile and vice versa.
Just a habit,that's all.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Bishop just ate 6 dice of my 9 Powerdice with his Black Coach on turn 1. How lucky was that..???

Got one of my local gamers who playes brets, when i play him, his trebuchet always score a "hit" on my units demolishing them. but when he playes everyone else at my local, they scatter, or scatter onto his own pegy knights then they flee from 25% casualties off the board.

on the other hand, a play a empire player, his steam tanks roll 6's when jumping for 5 steam points, when going for 4, he always gets low.

when my grave guard need 2+ to hit 2+ to wound, they will roll lots of 1's...

just things i notice, unit is not specifically bad, but what happens when reliant on random

I always hold the dice to warm them up then use them until they roll bad at which point they are "broken" and I discard them and warm up a different handful of dice.

If you have lances you will miss half of your attacks even with superior WS and + to hit. Then you will roll 1s to wound, always. Your horses on the other hand will SLAUGHTER DRAGONS.

If you have red fury your oppenent will succeed with 2/3 of his/her parry saves.

If you take runes to prevent misfires and such on your warmachines as a dwarf player, you will never roll a misfire (making you think that the rune was not worth its points). Next game if you did not take the runes this time you will misfire 3/4 of the shots.

The dice gods will always screw with your plans for the LOL effect.

The orks have a point:

Da Red ones roll bettah.

Thus, I always use red dice for high tests, white dice for LD and characteristic tests.

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
My daemon princes regularly pass there invulnerable save far more times then there armour save... So much so I consider using the 5+ invulnerable against normal shots then the 3+ armour.

One game a daemon prince (with one wound left) survived being hit and wounded by 3 lascannons, 3 melta's and a plasma pistol...and then was killed by a stormbolter.

Dklyn

Crypt Horror
Whenever I see what my opponent rolls, it's good for me, whenever I can't see what they roll and rely on them to tell me, it's bad for me. Weird huh?