• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Flying Bloodsucking cowboys...

Banat

Varghulf
Blender Lords on Hellsteeds... Opinions?

I tried a list out yesterday which was a radical departure from most lists I take, instead of running my Blender in a BKbus, I put him on a hellsteed and deployed him along with 6 Vargheists and 5 hexwraiths over on a flank.

Tactically he's far more meneuverable and fast, allowing him to keep out of charge and magic missile arcs. With the Vargs and the fast cav of the Hexes, you can potentially get all sorts of flank and rear charges off.

He can also go off reliably hunting and massacring chaff or war machines.

It was a big risk and way out of my "comfort" zone, but for the most part it payed off.

Unfortunately by the end of turn 4 we'd made so many errors in combat that guessing who was in the lead was impossible (mainly that units can re-align themselves after combat even if they've lost the combat).

BloodbathMcGrath

The Butcher of New Liberty
Sounds like fun. I haven't played in a while. Not since UL came out. But I think now having our VL not cause mass crumble when he dies means we can use him more loosely. It's still a crying shame to have him die. But we can run all sorts of shenanigans with him now :)

I've written on other threads on how i personally use a hellsteed lord. One thing I'll point out is.

I've found success attacking weak medium units, with hex and vargiest and lord. I out maneuver major threats. Deathstars , or elite tough units. At least till the end of the game. Choose combats you can finish quick and move on to another quick win.

Throw in a terrorgiest to scream chaff out of the way. And to weaken elite heavy armor units

Banat

Varghulf
I had the screams from my Mortis Engine and a Banshee in the center of my battleline. Wiped out 2/3rds of his skink core and two units of terradons (before they had the opportunity to drop rocks).

I tried to charge my Hellsteed Lord into the flank of TettoEko and his skink cohort. He repositioned his skinks so I could only get a front charge off, but I could also get a front charge off with my Mortis Engine. Skinks stand and shoot managed to take off the last two wounds on the Engine blowing it up. The fallout from that wiped out what was left of the Tetto's skink cohort (comet of cassandora had also ravaged the center of the board just prior). Vamp took 10 St4 hits (I was convinced he was gone) but shrugged them off with no damage, leaving Vamp in combat with Tetto. Vamp slaughters Tetto, overruns into the front of the Temple Guard unit behind them, which had a combat with 6 Crypt Horrors having charged into their flank still awaiting resolving. Meaning my Vamp got to attack AGAIN since the next combat he was in had not been resolved. Was so pleased I got that tactic off after having first heard of it being used with Carnosaur's... the irony of then deploying it on Lizards was delicious.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
LoS! From hexies is handy with that build. Ethereal means nonmagic cannons are wasted on them. Take more than five, especially if you have a champ so you keep the roll as long as you can.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Banat, try a scroll of shielding to help keep the hexies around longer. It should buy you a turn before the charge.

That's why I bring 3 units of 5. Enemy wizards can only target so many times.

Wood elves would do well against this build. But then a lord with good armour high toughness, isn't in too much danger.

Banat

Varghulf
3 units of five sounds like a d6 of lolz but might cut it down to 2. Then i might still be able to take 6 horrors and 3/4 vargs.