• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Forbidden Colours - A Lahmian Army Plog

@The Gunslinger They're looking cool, the turquoise works nicely alongside the white spears.
Thanks mate, I really like the white spears, brings a lighter colour to them as they were a little too dark before.

Good to see you back! That turquoise looks very good and those white spears are a really nice touch. What are the plans for next minis?
Thanks again. It's a pleasure to be here as always.

At the minute I'm working on some spirit hosts, finishing those archers from before and starting a mounted vampiress. That will give me 1000 points to start playing with, which I'm excited for.

Forbidden Colours Phase Two: War Chariots
Continuing phase two of my army I have gone over my chariots to tidy up any areas I wasn’t happy with and get them battle ready.
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4504%2F36738794694_40579cb8a2_k.jpg&hash=b3be2ef389d722bfd13513dc693a90d4

I have added some detail to their massive bases by adding some dead grass and some discarded equipment like shields and swords. I don’t like leaving such a large space empty and I think it makes the model look more dynamic.
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4514%2F37417172012_98f5e72fa4_z.jpg&hash=ac9804c418efb3b9eb28d09f79080727

The unit Champion
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4483%2F23596302858_56242d7613_k.jpg&hash=f2f98d9655506c1ba623cc972a667acf

The white, turquoise and bronze connects them to my skeletons and gives the army a common style.
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4394%2F37400549096_b983d52122_z.jpg&hash=9e03294691aebc4af7549e435c5e808f

The musician, I used the trumpet from the skeleton warriors kit for this guy, I preferred it to the one that came with it.
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4433%2F23596288088_9fad76e01f_k.jpg&hash=e9015794eb48ec399b29bfa9c0568863

And finally the standard bearer, which can help bring slain models back to life, which I am looking forward to using.

Let me know what you think

Very nice looking chariots! I think your spot on in adding something extra for the large bases. It really gives the unit something extra and the skeleton trumpet works very well with that kit. Nice!

Sharkbelly

Crypt Horror
Those look great! Is it me or do the horses kind of blend into the bases a bit too much? Too similar in color, I mean.

Very nice looking chariots! I think your spot on in adding something extra for the large bases. It really gives the unit something extra and the skeleton trumpet works very well with that kit. Nice!
Thanks mate, glad you like them. I think they are one of my favourite units so far, I really enjoyed taking them to that next level this time around.

Those look great! Is it me or do the horses kind of blend into the bases a bit too much? Too similar in color, I mean.
Hmm, I do kinda see what you mean. They are the same colour bone as my skeletons, I wanted to give them that second wash to make them look less clean and tidy, and the desert bases are kinda similar. In person I don't think it is as bad.

Forbidden Colours Phase Two: The Generals
The final part of my phase 2 update comes in the form of the leaders of my army, Asteron, Kind of the Savons and Mara, Lady of the Dead.
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4465%2F37251080930_4a12b61e3f_z.jpg&hash=2d989718e38fc2f95351119b81b221c4

My Mounted Wight Kind was converted from Mannfred von Carstein and was made to fit in with the tomb kings inspired feel to the army.
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4458%2F36840359633_a051995a14_z.jpg&hash=911f93e86086673d5ba75a7da4e0f097

Mara, my female necromancer was made from a dark elf sorceress and a banshee. I wanted to move away from the traditional pathetic wretch of a necromancer and towards a powerful, but young and inexperienced spellcaster that is being manipulated by the Countess.
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4465%2F37461400686_ebbc7a191f_z.jpg&hash=3aed213b7601e5b6ba9bfbb15f426582

And just as a treat, here is a whole army shot so far:
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4487%2F36799376324_4e38b76dd5_k.jpg&hash=9140fc0a4d3f3a3a8f5a1fa51c1a09b1

I have also put together my first Vanguard Army List:

Wight King with Tomb Blade
General, Skeleton Steed, RotN, Tomb Blade
Necromancer

30 skeletons with spears
3 Chariots
20 Skeleton Archers
3 Spirit Hosts

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
They look great together, a very, very nice army! Leaders, troops, heavy support, great core. Also really like how you can spot the leaders by the purple color :thumbsup:

That wight king is awesome! So is the necromancer. Great kitbashes.
Thanks mate, I have really enjoyed putting them together and giving my army a personal touch.

They look great together, a very, very nice army! Leaders, troops, heavy support, great core. Also really like how you can spot the leaders by the purple color :thumbsup:
Thanks again, I am really enjoying having them all finished now, the sense of achievement is pretty nice.

I took my finished 1000 points into my local gw yesterday to play my first game against a lovely looking khorne army. It ended in a draw but in reality I was losing big style. A failed charge with the skeletons and several mistakes by myself sealed my fate. The spirit hosts and archers performed brilliantly though, killing his daemon prince general and wiping out 30 bloodletters respectively. The skeletons did ok, they all died but they tied up two enemy units for the whole game.

I learnt a lot from it and I'm excited to go back in next week and have another go. Currently working on a Cairn Wraith to give me some character hunting ability.

Hi everyone, I’m back on the forum!

After a bit of a hiatus, I’m diving back into AoS with .2 and the legions of Nagash. With that comes some sad choices, like having to lose the chariots and archers, which has lead to me asking myself if I want to continue the tomb kings theme now that it’s going to be a lot harder to do.

So this post is an ask for advice and opinions, see if anyone has any suggestions kinda post because I’m at a lost.
I’m sticking to the female vampires idea, as I have a great conversion for a vampire of zombie dragon in mind. And I’m keeping my female necromancer. Just unsure what to do with my footslogging skeletons now the rest of the army will struggle to keep to the same theme.
Cheers,
The Gunslinger

Oof a hard place to be, what models are you considering in a legions of nagash army per chance? Maybe the unit choice could play more into your theme and conversions?

That is a really good way of thinking about it. I definitely want a big unit of skeletons. And would probably bring black nights into it now I’m missing the chariots. And I love spirit hosts.

So far I am liking the idea of a haunted barrow, filled with skeletons, wights and ghosts which my vampire countess is using.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Back with an update on Forbidden Colours phase 3 and bringing the army into the Legions of Nagash. As I explained before I am losing the chariots and the archers due to the new book so that means a new style and a new paint scheme. After much umming and ahhing, I have finally settled o a new scheme and style to the army. Following an annoyingly expensive trip to my local gw, I have completed a couple of test model skeletons showing the new colour scheme and basing.

So the purple is naggaroth Night with a nuln oil shade and highlights of Xereus purple and Dechala Lilac.
The bronze is Balthasar gold with agrax earthshade and seraphim sepia shades with a highlight of Sycorax bronze.
The new bases are Mechanicus standard grey, dawnstone drybrush, nuln oil shade and a light drybrush of tyrant skull.
I also picked up some Nihilakh oxide because my homemade one went all clumpy since the last time I used it.

As always comments and criticism are welcome.

Cheers,
The Gunslinger

With a colour scheme settled on it is time to start churning them out. Finished off ten last night and have another ten on my desk for today.
The plan is to re-paint the 30 I had finished before plus an extra ten to give me a big unit of 40 with spears.

I'm also working on my necromancer, vampire and spirit hosts. So more to follow soon.

Cheers

Yesterday and this mornings progress have included another ten skeletons, bringing me up to a weird 22 finished.

I have also re-based my spirit hosts with the new gravel style and included some nice purple on their extra-base details to help bind them to my army.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm2.staticflickr.com%2F1923%2F31031848538_dbc146540b_b.jpg&hash=3aed477e4bb7b390bf2ca2cae3e1534e

Mara my necromancer has also had her base re-done to match and has had some highlighting work done to her robes which I think improves things. I also had to make her a new staff as her old one broke during transport to games, which is why it's a lot shorter now.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm2.staticflickr.com%2F1944%2F31031849558_3689349319_b.jpg&hash=31a0555b65f49aea8ca3a0e5111809a6

Cheers

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I see you are making a good thing out of that change, those skellies look great! Bone, brass, wood, purple, turquoise patina, you have a lot of colors there, but they work together pretty well! Very unlike your traditional grimdark graveyard skeletons, yet still looking good! Good work on that oxidation, it looks great as those tiny accents! I will look forward to more updates here :)

I see you are making a good thing out of that change, those skellies look great! Bone, brass, wood, purple, turquoise patina, you have a lot of colors there, but they work together pretty well! Very unlike your traditional grimdark graveyard skeletons, yet still looking good! Good work on that oxidation, it looks great as those tiny accents! I will look forward to more updates here :)
Thanks, I'm really glad you like the changes. There was a lot of umming and ahhing with everything. But I really like the new base colours, I think it makes the bone stand out more and takes away from that problem with Mara where her blouse was the same colour as the ground. And I really like the purple and how it's binding a lot of the different units together. And I'm happy I got to keep the turquoise in there with the patina and how it carries over the ethereal colours of the spirit hosts and ghosts on mara.

I'm working on 10 dire wolves at the minute, which I have a fun conversion idea for so hopefully I will be able to show you more soon. And I just have to finish another 17 skeletons to have 40.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Yep, got to second @Borgnine , I like the variety of colours you use, and the dirty, "used" bone look. Really nice stuff so far, I don't like the whole Egyptian/Khemri style normally, but yours looks cool!

Thanks for the kind words, very appreciated.

Got a few small updates today, I have been busy but spread out.
First I have finished another 3 spirit hosts that brings the total to 6 overall.

I have also started working on my wraith. He needs a bit more work. I want to use some green stuff to make it look like he is summoning up from the skeleton, like the spirit hosts. The reason I have had to do the extra base work was that I removed the stand bit ages ok when I had the idea to have him coming out of that big coffin if anyone remembers that.

I have also finished the first member of the command group for my skeletons, I used grave guard and black knights bits for this guy and I have a nice idea for a banner design which I am going to take a crack at when I summon the courage to do it.

And finally, just a little fun side project, gravesite markers. Just something I did when I was waiting for paint to dry on my other stuff.

Cheers

An exciting update today, well I think so anyway.

I bring you my converted female vampire lord on a nightmare.

Obviously, the nightmare is a chaos knight horse, which I like to think looks suitable brutish compared to the more delicate looking vampiress riding it.

I included the purple of the army colour scheme but also made her dress red to try and make her stand out as a general. Plus it's suitable sanguine.

I also finished the rest of my skeleton command group, which only leaves ten left. Which is testing me but I must carry on. Nagash demands it after all.

Let me know what you think.
Cheers

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Wow, that vampiress looks great! I love it when vampires ride chaos mounts and in this case it works especially well - as you wrote, the contrast between how big and brutish it is and how fine and delicate she is. I like that icy blue hair on the horse too, it stands out nicely and makes the whole mini pop ;)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Nice spirit hosts, they're looking cool all placed together like that. And those grave guard, nice choice of colours there, you don't see much dark blue/purple undead and they look great.