• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Forum Nostalgia

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
Greetings Counts, old and new!

Not sure where to post this, but I just wanted to say hello and see how things have been. This forum doesn’t seem to get much action these days, most likely because I hear the hobby has changed a lot these last few years?

I was an active member here back in 2011-2013. When Bishop was promoted to administrator, I became a tactics mod. I was really into theorycrafting in the early WFB 8th edition metagame. Then sadly, I got burnt out and became inactive. Recently I stopped by my favorite game shop and was dismayed to hear that GW had “killed Warhammer.” Age of Sigmar seems cool, but I don’t know what to make of the whole no point values thing.

Today however, I’m feeling nostalgic for my good old days on CN. I miss talking with the old guard: Bishop, Trevy, Sanai, DoN, Lasombra, Revan, Lynks just to name a few. My favorite memory of this place is actually winning Vampires Among Us (a vampire-themed Mafia game DoN used to run) as a vampire named “The Masque of Death.” I’m interested in hearing your favorite memories on Carpe Noctem. Tell me some good stories! :zombie2:

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Recently I stopped by my favorite game shop and was dismayed to hear that GW had “killed Warhammer.” Age of Sigmar seems cool, but I don’t know what to make of the whole no point values thing.
Wow. You have been gone a while. Welcome back. As far the points go, the whole "no points thing" only lasted about 6 months and that was almost 3 years ago. So the guys at you local shop haven't been keeping up either. Actually, Death just got a new rulebook and I think it has the makings of a top tier army with a lot of different options. You've missed a lot in your hiatus: two factions of dwarves, lots of new chaos and stormcast, new orks, and coming next week is new dark elves. If you're interested in some batreps or list ideas or anything else AOS, check out the memento mori, summoning the deathrattlers, or Age of Sigmar forums. For the new Death book, check out Legions of Nagash. I'm on my phone so I'll add links later. I'm just gonna rip the bandaid off first, Carsteins (except Mannfred) are all dead.

Last edited:

Bravo_10

True Blood
Thanks for the reply. Sadly, the local hobby shop stopped carrying WFB models thanks to decreased interest in AoS, which I guess is why I hadn’t heard that points were added back in. I’ll still miss 8th edition for sure, but it’s definitely worth checking out the death book.

I actually never played with named characters, though it’s sad to hear the Carsteins are gone. My personal vampire lord was a Carstein, who was sired by Isabella in the fluff I wrote a while ago. At the end of the day, all I want for Christmas is a red fury blender lord like I always used in my lists.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Thanks for the reply. Sadly, the local hobby shop stopped carrying WFB models thanks to decreased interest in AoS, which I guess is why I hadn’t heard that points were added back in. I’ll still miss 8th edition for sure, but it’s definitely worth checking out the death book.

I actually never played with named characters, though it’s sad to hear the Carsteins are gone. My personal vampire lord was a Carstein, who was sired by Isabella in the fluff I wrote a while ago. At the end of the day, all I want for Christmas is a red fury blender lord like I always used in my lists.
Egad the blender for a time, but it was too OP so they needed it a bit. My favorite was the Ghoul King on TG with Red Fury and Cursed Book. Anyone attacking him in melee was -1 to hit. The red fury was roll a D6 and if it is less than the number of wounds caused, he and the TG gets to attack again. The wording allowed him to keep attacking forever (as long as there was something within in reach) and the TG wounds dealt counted towards red fury. AND the TG could deal 18 wounds with no saves...

Now red fury only triggers on a 5+, regardless of wounds dealt and can't happen more than once and doesn't allow the mount to attack twice. Oh. And the ghoul kings spell was to give himself an extra 5+ save against all wounds.

That's about when I joined as well. I remember picking up my army book and some models and finding this forum. I mostly lurked then as I do now, but chime in from time to time. I miss the atmosphere when I first arrived. Hopefully this new book will bring a surge of (un) life and we'll get some new blood :konrad:

Greetings Counts, old and new!

Not sure where to post this, but I just wanted to say hello and see how things have been. This forum doesn’t seem to get much action these days, most likely because I hear the hobby has changed a lot these last few years?

I was an active member here back in 2011-2013. When Bishop was promoted to administrator, I became a tactics mod. I was really into theorycrafting in the early WFB 8th edition metagame. Then sadly, I got burnt out and became inactive. Recently I stopped by my favorite game shop and was dismayed to hear that GW had “killed Warhammer.” Age of Sigmar seems cool, but I don’t know what to make of the whole no point values thing.

Today however, I’m feeling nostalgic for my good old days on CN. I miss talking with the old guard: Bishop, Trevy, Sanai, DoN, Lasombra, Revan, Lynks just to name a few. My favorite memory of this place is actually winning Vampires Among Us (a vampire-themed Mafia game DoN used to run) as a vampire named “The Masque of Death.” I’m interested in hearing your favorite memories on Carpe Noctem. Tell me some good stories! :zombie2:
Its nice to see other old forums members come back xD I actually came back a few days ago after something like a year of inactivity. The forums did die down a LOT with the controversy over Age of Sigmar. I honestly find it far better than 8th, more tactical with more thematic options. So I deeply recommend trying it :) but of course opinions can differ. I think it will help this forum become revitalised if enough people come back to make it become active again.

Bravo_10

True Blood
Cool to see this thread getting replies. That infinitely repeatable red fury sounds utterly monstrous. :vampire3: Back when I was an active player, the meta was pretty focused around huge steadfast infantry blocks. Skaven and WoC dominated us before our 8th edition armybook came out, but the book gave us a lot of nice tools. I checked back a few years ago, and the best list was this insane cavalry bus that was totally different from anything I’d ever seen. Sounds like things have once again been shaken up with the current system.

I don’t really have anyone to play with in Atlanta, but I do often get the urge to paint again. I never finished my army, which is a shame because I was really pretty close. Also this forum used to have a cool way to play Warhammer online using battle chronicler and a built-in dice roller! :cheers:

God, I miss these emotes. :love:

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Welcome back :).

The forum has become very quiet since the transition from eighth edition to Age of Sigmar. I don't miss the former at all, but I'm struggling to get into the latter because I do miss the lore and narrative of the Warhammer World and Age of Sigmar does not inspire me in this respect, unfortunately. That said, Malign Portents is a step in the right direction at least.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Welcome back indeed :)

The forum is indeed quite silent, which is everywhere on the web, sadly, because most people nowadays lurk in different social nets. I remember times where they didn't exist... But anyhow, we keep on and the forum lives :)

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Welcome back indeed :)

The forum is indeed quite silent, which is everywhere on the web, sadly, because most people nowadays lurk in different social nets. I remember times where they didn't exist... But anyhow, we keep on and the forum lives :)
As with any undead thing, we refuse to let this die, even it dwindles to penpals....

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Indeed, and, as I've said before, so long as a few of us keep posting, things may turn around. Remember, there are always cycles and when people tire of Facebook and the like, forums may start making a comeback. I hope so :).

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
I hope too, also because personally prefer forums more, in general. I am sure we will see them reborn at some point.

Azakael

Skeleton
Facebook groups are great for *right this minute* stuff. Forums are great for sharing things that need more permanence.
Also, forums lack the irritating algorithms that Facebook has that prevents you from seeing like ninety percent of the FB group posts... *grumbles*

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Oh yes, here you can find and see everything, social nets of all kind do tend to bury everything in the depths so you are just aware of what's going on now.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I;m still hanging around in the roleplay/fiction section, although that seems equally stalled.
The main issue here is that good quality role-playing and fiction writing requires time and investment. For example, I'd be interested in some role-playing, but I don't have time to do it properly, so I end up never being able to commit to it. This, combined with fewer active members, as Menkeroth pointed out, makes those sections of the forum in particular very inactive, sadly.

The main issue is that it's very hard to attract younger members, who generally have more free time, because they're all on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and other similarly awful social media platforms. As a result, the older the rest of us become and the greeter our responsibilities get, our contributions tend to decrease, but there's nobody coming through to replace us. I use first person plural because I've seen this trend occurring across a wide range of forums, not just this one, and because I count myself as being 'old' these days.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Hope I'm not too late and Bravo_10 has disappeared!

I've had some brilliant times on this forum, and I really hope to do so again. Vampires Amongst Us was a brilliant experience, and actually, I think I'll run one again in the next few months after we get the technical updates out of the way

Other biggie for me is obviously the TVC, spending about 3 years in a roleplay with over 50 chapters in the end it always a memory I'll treasure. I still want to get around to translating it into a readable novel at some point.

I really hope more of the old crew pop up, and looking forward to meeting the guys as well!