• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

gamezone mournful knights comparison

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
How do the mournful knights compare, size-wise, to our blood or black knights? Same size? A touch smaller? A touch larger? Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my question :)

Well, I haven't seen them side-by-side, but I've heard that the Mournful Knights are not the same scale as Warhammer, so compared to Blood Knights they're tiny.

Yeah, it is a little bit. I only really like one of the Mournful Knight variants (the one with the sword in two hands pointing forwards), the others look very 'meh', they have too much cloth and the unit champion has a silly head in my opinion, I don't get the idea behind it.

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
From Warseer:

Mournful Knights Review
I received the Gamezone Mournful Knights in the mail yesterday and wanted to post my review of these models for your consideration.

Model Size:
The first thing I noticed about the models is that the horses are about the same size as the older GW horses. This means they are a bit smaller than some of the current GW stuff and definitely smaller than Chaos Knight horses. I don't own the GW Blood Knights (thankfully), so I can't compare the size to them. The riders themselves are a bit on the small side, definitely smaller than the GW mounted vampires. It's not an issue to me because once you have the model assembled with the rider it looks fine size-wise.

Horses:
Which brings me to my next point - the Gamezone horses don't fit together terribly well and will require a fair amount of putty work. It's not a big issue for me as I do a lot of sculpting work on other models, but for some this may be a problem. The gaps between the two horse halves is significant in places and may require sculpting some details to make the two parts seamless.

Riders:
The riders assemble without much fuss, there is one rider which is two halves split around the shoulder area and there is a significant gap that will need to be filled. Two of the riders have a separate torso and lower half. Several also have a separate weapon arm. I really like the unit champion model and his severed jester head which is attached to his helmet. There is still a vampire face inside the helmet, I think it's a cool concept. The musician is one piece and the standard bearer is three pieces if you include the banner arm. This is poorly designed in that the banner pole and top are attached to a hand which has a tiny peg on it to attach to the wrist. I think it's going to be a challenge to get that hand to stick to the rest of the arm which is part of the rider body. Very small contact point, it will probably need to be pinned but I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet.

Overall:
All in all, I am happy I purchased these models. They are full of character and are visually a big improvement over the GW Blood Knights, as many people have indicated already. I really like the tattered cloaks and the other bits like bat-wing helmets, chains on the horses, and the detail on the horse themselves. I made a comparison of the Gamezone Mournful Knights to the new Count Mannfred model (which I own) from GW and I feel he will fit in well with the rest of the unit. His horse is slightly larger as is the rider, but that seems appropriate for a character model. Visually and stylistically, I think Mannfred fits in well with these Mournful Knights.

The detail on the Mournful Knights is quite good and seems comparable to GW, but the quality of the castings is a bit worse. I haven't undercoated the models yet, that may yield more insight, but at this point I'd say that the GW castings are cleaner and the parts fit together better. These models may be a bit trickier to prep due to gaps between joined areas, but I feel it's worth the trouble for a unit I'm hoping will look spectacular once painted.

I like that review for outlining how badly cast the models are and how they fit together (or not) but I don't like it because he has an obvious bias towards them, and he seems to hate the GW models for no good reason. I just completely disagree with his assessment of the Mournful Knights being a "big improvement over the GW Blood Knights" because they really aren't imo.

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
and he seems to hate the GW models for no good reason
Why do you say this? All the poster says is he doesn't like the GW Blood Knights. I don't think you can infer anything else about his thoughts on GW.

You then go on to state something that is your own opinion about the models for the Blood Knights being better than the Mournful Knights models which really doesn't matter. He doesn't like Blood Knights, you don't like the other ones. Why bother making this an argument about GW?

The leader looks like he has a strange head, but it's not so bad once painted.

Seriously, the jester's head on top of his helmet is so cool; I painted it like I paint my zombies. Cackling laughter follows the Blood Knights everywhere.. That's what looks so weird on the unpainted model, from what I can tell. I don't know about scale, they seem slightly smaller than my Hexies (not by much), but the models are so amazing that I'd still recommend them. Difficult to assemble and rank up but so so so gorgeous.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
I was just looking for a horse for my Vampire Lord. He's on a generic Chaos Knight horse at the moment, and I was looking for something more undeadish. Oh well, next stop is to convert Archaon's horse.

I have 4 of the mournful knights and I have blood knights.

Personally, I love the mournful knights and they are painted as my Vampire characters. They stand out well and have a lot of character and dynamism. They were difficult to paint though as the casting doesn't flow as well as GW models and they don't rank up as well next to other knights which poses some problems.

All in all, I am happy with them.

Banat

Varghulf
Personally I think the Mournful Knights are much more aesthetically pleasing than the Blood Knights.

More cloth isn't an issue for me, personally I love the billowing cloaks/robes, especially the one on the standard bearer which has a distinct batwing vibe to it withouth being a bat wing.

Their poses are far more dynamic and the riders are far more characterful, even the nightmarish jester champion that some don't like.

GDD

Grave Guard
What Banat said. It's sad that they are so small though. I really liked them.

I guess HE dragon princes are the official unofficial blood knight models :tongue:

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
I used to have a unit of the GZ knights. I'd agree with the review, I'd only recommend them to a confident modeller and I did find them fiddly to paint. The Champion's headgear is not to everyone's taste, I was never 100% sure about it. Ranking them up is a right pain though, mine were on a multi-height movement tray to make them work.

No longer with me as they don't fit the concept of my revamped army. I hate the PRICE of the GW models, and they also don't suit, so I am building my new unit from, well, HE Dragon Princes of course.

Or, to save even more money, look in more....Asian places... for like $35 excellent quality Blood Knights...

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Or, to save even more money, look in more....Asian places... for like $35 excellent quality Blood Knights...
Can confirm, bought some resin Blood Knights from an Asian fellow, the quality was more than adequate and the price perfectly reasonable.

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Can confirm, bought some resin Blood Knights from an Asian fellow, the quality was more than adequate and the price perfectly reasonable.
Interesting. I've been looking for someone who has used one of those places and had decent results. Glad it worked out for you.