• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Glossary of Terms

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
I was wondering if there was any intent to implement a glossary of terms here in a manner similar to that used on Dakka? I find it very useful and I'm sure a lot of newcomers would appreciate it also.

The way it works on Dakka is that when you mouse over any term that might be an acronym it provides gaming related suggestions from a pre-formed library of terms.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
My concern with glossaries is always that it makes posts difficult to read. Just typing out abbreviations or acronyms can turn posts into jargon where you have to hover the mouse over multiple terms in the same few sentences or paragraph to understand what they all mean. Lots of abbreviations/acronyms can also be very off putting to new players who won't be familiar with all the terminology. My preference would be actually not to have a glossary, and for members to cut down on abbreviation/acronym usage when it's really not necessary to use it.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
We didn't really see such an extensive use of it in the old forum that posts were turned to nonsense, it was really just for the common ones or phrases used repeatedly in the same paragraph.

My concern with glossaries is always that it makes posts difficult to read. Just typing out abbreviations or acronyms can turn posts into jargon where you have to hover the mouse over multiple terms in the same few sentences or paragraph to understand what they all mean. Lots of abbreviations/acronyms can also be very off putting to new players who won't be familiar with all the terminology. My preference would be actually not to have a glossary, and for members to cut down on abbreviation/acronym usage when it's really not necessary to use it.
I agree it can get out of hand when something as short as like dread knight is being acronymed. I do fear having to type out something like vanhels danse macabre every time I want to refer to it though.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Fearing typing that is a curious way of putting it :D. Are you frightened someone might cast it on you or something if you don't spell it correctly :D?

More seriously, I can imagine that it might be an issue for members who regularly post from their phone, but using a desktop, typing out longer terms isn't a problem at all :).

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I do post as many times per day as you do :tongue:. I should add the caveat though that this is on another forum rather than this one, and doesn't involve typing out the names of spells, so it's not a fair comparison ;).