• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Greenies next for WFB!

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
Well this was unexpected, there's all this talk of 8th Ed & a bit campaign & this just pops out of nowhere:

More Orcs & Goblins coming in May

Orcs & Goblins are the scourge of the Warhammer world, an unending tide of ferocious raiders. For every greenskin Waaagh! defeated on the field of battle, another arises to trample a swathe of destruction across the land. Orcs and Goblins live to fight!

Orcs & Goblins are one of the most popular Warhammer armies and it's not difficult to see why: they can field warriors of all shapes and sizes from tiny Snotlings to Giants, and every shape of Orc and Squig in-between. They have access to a bizarre array of war machines and mounts, and some of the most entertaining special rules of any Warhammer army. And thanks to their inclusion in the great-value Battle for Skull Pass set, are often the first army a hobbyist collects.

So this May we're celebrating the Orcs & Goblins in all their choppa-wielding glory. We're under orders from the Big Boss to keep quiet about exactly what's going on so be sure to check out games-workshop.com in April when all will be revealed and pick up May's issue of White Dwarf for an in-depth look at all things green.
"More" is interesting, it has been a while (4 years) since the last O&G army book so it's likely there's a new one in the works but it isn't the same "All new super shiny WOW!" rhetoric you usually see with such things. Incidentally the email is illustrated with the current cover image, but that doesn't suggest anything as they used an old Blood Angel image with that announcement too.

Zanos

Vampire Count
True Blood
But....my Ogres....dey need update! Ahh well, 'least it isnt another spess mehreen army...

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Yeah I was surprised to hear this as well. There are many other armies that need a overhaul much more like TK & Ogres, Anyone heard what might be coming?

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
I've heard talk of boar boyz (since before the cavalry wave), so I suppose those will be included in the release. But I don't know anything more than this.

Sirihar

Crypt Horror
From Hastings over at Warseer:

Plastic Orc Boar Boys (5 per box)
Plastic River Trolls (3 per box)
Blister pack of snotlings (all repackaged existing sculpts apart from 1)

And Harry has said that Brian Nelson has sculpted the boars.

"More" is interesting, it has been a while (4 years) since the last O&G army book so it's likely there's a new one in the works
It came of a big surprise to see this in my inbox. It does sound like there is an O&G book in the works.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
It makes sense for GW to focus on whatever sells. If people want an army book to be redone, do your part and make it more popular! Popularity = more focus.

I have orcs so I'm excited!

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Meh? I'm tired of GW's policy of ignoring the players, and focusing on 5 or so armies that are more popular. I want TK and Ogres to get a rehash, and honestly, it angers me that people (Like myself) Have invested in those armies and they're nearly impossible to play with in the current meta.

Bah on GW.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
I understand their position; I think that if they're going to do an army, they should do their best to support it. Maybe it would be better with less armies that they updated more often. If they only have the resources to do a couple, they shouldn't have overreached and made all these extra ill supported product lines.

I totally understand blowing money on a GW partially-failed product and being pissed about it. I would be too. Some armies will always have updates; empire, orcs, dwarves, and elves (some kind; unsure if they really need 3 kinds of elves). The JRR Tolkien inspired armies.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I wish they would divert some of their efforts from LOTR to warhammer. LOTR has like 6 diff versions for every concievable character. We are stuck with one very very old nagash.

OK and TK are not being ignored - apparently, the OK book has been pushed back in the schedule in order to get it to fit better with 8th Edition rules (which are likely going to be out late Q2/ early Q3 this year). TK are also on the agenda for a release in the next 12 months.

There is going to be a new O&G book, but no-one is quite sure when. It's being written by Jeremy Vetock (which is good). Avian and Hastings currently have a bet going on whether the book will be out within the next 12 months or not; Avian thinks yes, Hastings thinks no.

All this newsletter is about though is the release of new plastic minis for O&G, not about getting a new book. To be honest, plastic Boar Boyz and Trolls should have been on the cards years ago...

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
True, but they have had plastic boar boys already I thought. I reckon they should just release a boyz kit with the option that you can buy a cheap box with just the boars, and some kewl bits in it, and then make the boar boyz like that.

Beithir Seun said:
It's being written by Jeremy Vetock (which is good).
No. No it is not good.
Have you read the Skaven book?
The worst release for WHFB ever.
Written by none other than the DWARF player Vetock.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
First time I've heard of the Skaven being a bad release... care to extrapolate on that?

When I say it's good that Jeremy Vetock is writing the O&G book, I mean it's good for O&G players.

Still, nobody can really complain. Just be thankful it's not Mat Ward writing it - we all know what happened the last time he got hold of an army book :D

Honestly though, I don't consider Skaven a bad book at all. Sure it has a couple of powerful new toys, but I think it's on the level with Dark Elves and the new Beastmen book. If Daemons are the yardstick then there's still no army that can compete with them for cheese.

What?? Beastmen aren't ruined, they've just been changed. Whether players of the previous book can adapt to that or not is their choice, but they're far from ruined. In fact, if anything Beastmen have been returned to their original form - when they first came out, they were a ranked up army just like any other. It was only their last book that dramatically changed their playstyle.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
I agree with Beithir on this, I also think that the most recent books have been quite good. I for one can't wait to see what they'll do to whatever's next, be it Greenskins, Ogres or Tomb Kings. :)

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
I havn't had a look a the beastmen one but I had a quick skim through the Skaven book, didn't seem bad to me although perhaps I'm missing something.

I personally can't wait for them to do Tomb Kings.

Ghouly

Liche
True Blood
I don't care about them ranking up its the new Monsters and the bows I don't like they should of just kept everything from the old list

Swissdictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
I still want my Chaos Dwarfs to be updated. They need it more than TK or Ogres!

Are you sure it's a new book and not a 2nd wave of minis?

I always have found Skaven were cool and I collected them before the new book. The book is probably equivalent to the Dark Elves. Tier 1, and can be VERY nasty... but like the Dark Elves they can also be very friendly very easily if desired.

Abbysal

Crypt Horror
Are they actually doing an overhaul though? I didn't get that from the announcement just that there would be a load of new miniatures, and the wording more i think refers to the amount of "Direct only" models they have released for orcs and gobbos recently.

I really doubt if its another army book.:zombie1:[hr]
Yeah just checked it is NOT a new army book deffo!!:zombie1:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Ork + Goblin releases- For when I really need to be made to yawn.

Abbysal

Crypt Horror
Sephiroth Von Carstein said:
Very much looking forward to this since my best friend plays O&G and although he is awesome with them - they are an underpowered army.
Sadly they will till be the same underpowered army as they are not getting a new army book just some new boar boys and stuff.:zombie1: