• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Help me make my Wight list competitive

beeblicon

Black Knight
A'llo all

so after some consideration, i wanted to do a VC army with some nifty conversions and an icy blue paint theme (im sure you've seen it)

well, i've decided i wanna do an army led by Wight kings, im imagining an army of darkness type army here, with skeleton lords ruling over them

So my list will be mostly skeletons, grave guard, black knights, and wights, heres my idea for the army

LORD

Lord of the old kings (magic only used to bring back skelies)
Vampire lord (counts as obviously)

Walking Death
Red fury
lord of the dead or avatar of death?

Dread Lane
Flayed Hauberk
cadaverous cuirass
or a frostblade?

possibly on a zombie dragon?

Heroes
Wight king + drakenhoff (for gg)
Wight king + the black axe of krell
Wight king + Sword of kings, and additional hw? or tomb blade?

also considering a helm of command on someone

Core

Skeleton warriors, lots of them, one with tomb blade wight king
Dire wolves converted to be skeletal wolves

Special

Grave guard w/great weapons (drakenhoff goes here)
Black knights

Rare

Cairn wraiths
And possibly some ancient lord counts as blood knights?

Anything i really need to add to this to keep it competitive, anything that im not using that i should make up some form of counts as for?

would be nice to use zombies but they dont fit the theme of this very icy frozen skeleton army

I'd love to help you but you are lacking some important things. Most namely a points value for the total army.

Also, being a little more specific on your troop / special / rares would go a lot further.

IF you are going to give your Vampire lord the dreadlance he has to be mounted. No ifs ands or buts. Then you would probably want to stick him in a unit of blood knights otherwise your BlackKnights will lose their ethereal movement.

One glaring problem is you will have to start with a lot of skeletons because you don't have the casting power necessary to start them off at a low count, and oyu will have a hard time keeping them at sufficient numbers to do any real dmg with a combat lord.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
I'll second tw1386 here, it'll be a lot more easy to help you out with your list if you could whip one up for us to see in its entirety here. I'll advice you to not go too heavy on your character choices if you intend to run such a low magic force - magic heavy armies can get by through virtue of their supportive nature but not so much the fighty ones. :)

tw1386 said:
IF you are going to give your Vampire lord the dreadlance he has to be mounted. No ifs ands or buts. Then you would probably want to stick him in a unit of blood knights otherwise your BlackKnights will lose their ethereal movement.
And Blood Knights is the last place you want to stick your lord. Imagine him running off the board chasing an eagle or some other throwaway unit. Thats one round with no magic - and anti-magic. Besides Blood Knights really doesn't need any character support - and should they need such, then you wouldn't want your characters anywhere near them :tongue:

you should also keep in mind that you have almost no vampires in the army, so you willl have little marching power. If you think about the blood knights chasing an eagle and the lord behind the enemy lines(considering he's on a ZD or hellsteed), well then you can't march at all. I think it will be hard to have 3 wights and keep the list compepetive. Or maybe you should drop the wraiths and get a varghulf, convert him to be made of bone (would be so amazing).

beeblicon

Black Knight
Berkinator said:
Or maybe you should drop the wraiths and get a varghulf, convert him to be made of bone (would be so amazing).
I could do that, actually that sounds like a great idea

Yeah i know its not going to be easy guys, i dont intend to win very much, just wanted to make sure i had a sporting chance ;D

ok heres my 2.5k list, gonna need lots of work im sure

Lord of the old kings (magic only used to bring back skelies)
730 points
Vampire lord (counts as obviously)
walking death, red fury, lord of the dead
dread lance, flayed hauberk, cadaverous cuirass
zombie dragon<-- a must, dont care about the rest

wight king + bsb + drakenhoff -225
wight king + black axe - 125

total in characters - 1080

Special
21 grave guard + champ + standard, great weapons
banner of barrows (deathstar, unfortunately) -342 points

5x blak knights - 120 (war machine hunters)

Core
30 skelies 240
30 skelies 240
30 skelies banner of endless night 273
10 skelies (screen) 80pts
10 skelies (screen) 80pts

Rare
2x bone vargulfs 350 points

Total points = 2485

units i'd consider using not in the list -> anything ehtreal, blood knights count as barrow kings -corpse carts count as bone giant? or something similar

no bats, no wolves, no *cry* zombies

Grish

Liche
True Blood
I find a better setup with a Lord on a dragon is Infinite Hatred. If you have Hatred/Frenzy, so does your mount. So if you give your lord Hatred/Balefire spike, you free up some points, and you have a dragon with rerolls to hit. Also your current Lord is illegal. He has two magical armours on. I'd set him up with RedFury, Infinite Hatred for sure. Other options are: Balefire Spike/sword of might/Blood Drinker (as you won't have enough magic to heal yourself or your dragon), Flayed Hauberk, Crown of the damned, wristbands of black gold, black periapt (to save your magic as dispel dice).

Axe of Krell is cool and fluffy, but inferior to Sword of Kings/mounted/barded w. shield. You do have Regen so you should survive OK, so as long as you're making a fluffy choice and know it, go for it.

I would get Standards/Musicians for your big Skeleton blocks. Possibly magic standards (warbanner would be good).

Unsure what your skeleton screens are for. To screen your skeleton blocks...?

You have little magic defense/offense. If you're getting completely outmagiced you may want to take a pair of corpse carts with Balefire. ASF on your graveguard would be nice as well. Your lord is probably not going to be near your main blocks, so being able to heal skeletons isn't important I don't think; I'd drop it. I think a unit of fellbats would be helpful, but you've said no bats. Vargulfs/Black knights will be important to help your lord get into combat by taking out warmachines and threatening flanks.

In cas you think a Corpse Cart wouldn't fit your theme, Corpse Carts could be bone chariots made of leftover skeletons (although not really a chariot). You could have a platform full of not the dead body things in teh real corpse cart, but a bunch of skeleton things that attack anything that comes near the cart.

Here is a skeletal dragon you can use(if you dont already have one)
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/dragon/latest/02705
Here is a page or 3 full of other skeletal things
http://www.frothersunite.com/files/wk/sc/skel/skel1/undead.html

sorry if these are a little out of place (suggesting minis on an army list thread), I just wanted to help :)

beeblicon

Black Knight
lol no thats great, if i can get cool ideas/mini's to use for things i'll def add them to my list

love the bone catapult, its a shame there arent any warmachines for counts, even tho it talks about lots in the fluff

if your not going magic heavy a hero vamp wouldnt hurt with blooddrinker to keep your graveguard up (or bloodknights if you choose to field them)
also if using the zombie dragon consider the wristbands/dreadlance combo...since the only real threat is ASF units and ranged weps, ASF units you can avoid while cannonballs and the such the ward is handy for, you should break everything you charge in the first round and can pick your targets easy!

also your gonna need to keep those vargulfs near your infantry as you dont have a whole lot of vampires to allow marching, especially with the lord flying all over the map

beeblicon

Black Knight
Spook290 said:
if your not going magic heavy a hero vamp wouldnt hurt with blooddrinker to keep your graveguard up
Yeah, thats a good idea, trying to stick with wights tho

lots of things im going to have to consider/try, hrmm

could even model some 'liche' type models to act as necromancers? they'd look wightey but just add some magic support to the army :D

beeblicon

Black Knight
Spook290 said:
could even model some 'liche' type models to act as necromancers? they'd look wightey but just add some magic support to the army :D
Exactly what i was thinking

Reminds me of an old ssi Advanced dungeons and dragons game, secret of the silver blades. Has a frozen lich, the dreadlord who was encased in a glacier

might use that as my theme

Kalandros

Necromancer
True Blood
I converted a corpse cart to skeletons instead of zombies, recently. I'll be using Harry the Hammer's base inside the cart's cage. Its all skeletons after all :D

I took Harry off the thing and broke it back into 4 pieces - I'll be sticking them inside the cart's cage in pieces and then add other skeleton bits to cover it up.

Just need to take picture of the thing now haha.

Also for a Wight list, I would personally have 2 blocks of Grave Guards ;D

beeblicon

Black Knight
Kalandros said:
I converted a corpse cart to skeletons instead of zombies, recently. I'll be using Harry the Hammer's base inside the cart's cage. Its all skeletons after all :D
My god, that is beautifull! all the death! so beautiful!! MUAH

Kalandros

Necromancer
True Blood
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Unfdall/Cult%20of%20Tzeentch%20-%20Vampire%20Counts/BoneCartassembled.jpg

Finally took a picture of it, its still WIP o;

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Go-Go not-so-subtle recruitment!

If your interested in Wight-lists maybe it could be worth having a look into the Legion of Nagash list Carpe Noctem's been working on, depending on if your opponents are alright with it and obviously you couldn't take it to a GW or a tourney but if its friendly games theres a lot to be said of the Legion list.... Just keep in mind that its still undergoing playtesting so any feedback you could give if you wanted to give it a whirl would be great! Look under The Legion Of Nagash forum thread for more info.