• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Help with 1500 lists! (8th edition, I refuse to let go :D)

Hi everyone!
I need some help of more experienced players to help me with a 1500 list. My 2 usual players are High Elves and Dark Elves (I hate elves....haha)

The DE player usually fields a big unit of witch elves with burning banner and fast calvary units with mages in them...
The HE usually plays a light lvl 4 Archmage with Hoeth...

That said, I have come to think in 2 lists of 1500pts that may be effective, given this setting:

List 1:

Lords:
Master Necro, lvl 4, LoV, Black Periapt and Talisman of Preservation (General). 300pts

Heroes:
Mini Vamp, lvl 1, LoV, Red Fury, Barded Nightmares, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of endurance (1+,5++): 210pts

Core:
Dire Wolves: 40pts
34x Skellies, board and sword, FCG, screamming banner: 225pts
20x Zombies, standard and music: 70pts (Necro goes here)

Special:
10x Black Knights, lance and shieds, FCM: 280pts (Vamp goes here)
5x Hexewraiths: 150pts
Spirit Host: 45pts
3x Vargheist: 138pts

List 2:

Lords:
Kemmler: 350pts (General)

Heroes:
Vamp, lvl1, LoV, red fury, heavy armour, enchanted shield, talisman of endurance (3+,5++): 194pts

Core:
Dire wolves: 40pts
35x Skellies, board and sword, FCG, screamming banner: 230pts (Vamp goes here)
20x Zombies, banner standard and music: 70pts (Kemmler goes here)

Special:
1x Corpes cart, balefire: 105pts
5x Hexwraiths: 150pts
Spirit host: 45pts
3x Vargeist: 138
3x Vargeist: 138

Some thoughts....
List 1 is more combat oriented, trying to get my black nights unit to somewhere, and providing magic suppot with my necro.

List 2 is more magic defens oriented, given that both opponets usually come with heavy magic armies...at least I have +1 dispel, and they have -1 for casting.

I'm more inclined for list 2, but the problem is the vampire...I haven't been able to give him a propper setting...

Any comment will be really appreciated :D

Regards!

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Your opponents' list sounds pretty cheesy, but then again, all elf lists were...

I like the look of the first list better, a heavy hitting combat block sounds lie a good idea.

In the second list I would take Banner of Swiftness on the skeletons instead. Elves are practically immune to all leadership tests anyway and that standard would help you get the skeletons where you need them.

Have you considered Terrorgheists? Unless you opponents bring insane amounts of shooting those could be very useful. With regards to shooting I don't think the vargheists would be overly effective in either lists, those go down pretty easily.

Dragonet

Wight King
For your Vampire I'd definitely consider two hand weapons for more chances at Red Fury over the shield, or Sword of Strife (extra attacks) if you can make space for it.

I find Banshees and Terrorgheists very effective against the cowardly Elves, and anything that gets you ASF (ie the Corpse Cart) or ASL (bats) should put the fear of Nagash into them.

Thanks to both.

I have thought about including a T-bat....but magic scares me....they don't bring too much shooting....for example, the HE player always brings nothing more than 1 or 2 bolt thrower, and sometimes, a block of sea guards...
DE player always brings dark riders (2 units at most...) As for vargeist, they are skirmishers, so they have some protection from shooting...but the T-bat depends only of his defense...and if they bring many magic missiles, there is not much I can do to protect them...
How can I do it? Does he work well against heavy magic lists?

Regards and thanks!

Dragonet

Wight King
No idea personally, nobody's ever tried nukeing my Tbat, normally it just draws a load of fire. That can be an advantage in itself with T6 bouncing normal arrows. I'd get behind a big enemy block on the flank and shout it to death, maybe rear charging if it's a sure thing.

Maybe combining the black knights, the hexwrights and the T-bat for target saturation will be enough? at least one of those units will be able to reach combat xD...

Is 10 black knights enough? or should I try and get 14? (5x3 row....)

Damn elves and their magic....(specially DE and the warlocks...)

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Had all but forgotten about the Warlocks :cautious:
Those were insane.

Still think a T-bat could be quite nice. Their missile is "only" strength 5 so would need 5+ to wound. Does the HE player bring a full light council usually or just the lvl4? If only the lvl4 then Banishment should be that much of an issue.

Only the lvl 4....that's I also play WoC and we have an informal agreement of not being that cheesy xD (Once we played 3k HE v/s WoC and he brought an entire light council and I an entire Flying Circus....it was crazy....cheesest lists I have ever seen D:)

Maybe I'll try the T-bat...with Heinrich and a corpse cart to block magic....let's see how it turns out...(on other comments....RNG loves the DE player...haha)

Ok....so finally the list went like this...

Kemmler: 350pts (General)

Baby vamp: heavy armour, enchanted shield, talisman of pres, Hellsteed, lance, and red fury: 247pts (I know that there will be no cannons...and with his high I, pit should not be a problem...)

Core:
5x Dire wolves: 40
5x Dire wolves: 40
36x Skellies, sword and board, FCG, banner of swift: 225pts (vamp goes here, so I can redirect shooting and magic damage (does it work that way?))
20x Zombies, music and standard: 70pts (Kemmler)

Special:
5x Hexwrigths: 150pts
Spirit host: 45

Rare:
T-bat

Should this be enough? :D

Thx for the help!

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
That looks stronger.

I am pretty sure that in 8th the player controlling the target unit got to choose which models are hit (max 1 per model until all have 1 hit on them) if the target unit contains models of different troop types. Gotten so used to 9th Age that the details of 8th are starting to slip away.

Well, yesterday I played this list with a few modification against a HE army. It was the classic gun line (2 bolthrowers, 10 sisters+character, a block of seaguards, explorers+alith anar and a lvl4 in eagle).

It was a fun game, but sadly I lost....it went like this. With Terror and Hexwrights I chased alith anar because he was his general and having a bolt thrower shooting me from behind, wasn't funny...T-Bat did marvelous things to that unit (2 screechs of 10+6 :D).

The combination of the corps cart+Heinrich didn't work well....he managed to cast phoenix flame 2 times, 1 against my skeleton and 1 against my zombies...and then I learnt a hard lesson.....never leave your general without ward save, even if he is ethereal (Heinrich, I'm looking to you....)

So after some thinking, I think that a good list might be the following:

Master Necro, lvl4, LoV, Black Periapt and Talisman of press (300pts)

Baby vamp, lvl2, LoV, barded nightmare, armour of destiny, red fury and shield, for a 2+ and 4++ (258)

2 units of wolves (40pts each)

1 unit of 20xzombies with musician and standard (70pts)

1 unit of 36xSkellies with sowrd and board, full comand with banner of swift (225pts)

1 spirit host (45pts)

2 units of Vargheist with champion (148pts each)

1 T-Bat (225pts)

That gives me a total of 1499pts

What I have come to realise is that elves players always outmanovier me....so I need fast hard hitting units such as the Vargs and the T-Bat.

Thx for your help!