• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Jun 26, 2021
Hello there. 😊

After a long long time of off and on painting Skaven not very well (lack of thinned paints, too heavy washes, bad colour code decisions, not enough highlights, e.t.c.), I decided to take my time and learn to paint a bit better.
With the Mortal Realms magazine from Hachette offering some cut price ghosties and Sigmarines (and having grown to like the AoS world after a few adventures in the Soulbound rpg), I decided to recut my fangs on some Aeronautica Imperialis, Nighthaunt, and Stormcast, with an eventual hope to move onto some of my more classic Vampire Counts models, Skaven, Dwarfs, and Dread Fleet.

Here's a few pictures of my progress that started Autumn of last year:

The Briar Queen.

My first character model in my modern painting. I motly followed the GW painting guide video with a few alternative choices of paint. I really liked the glazing on her robes which I ended up applying to later Nighthaunt.

Briar Queen 1.jpg

Briar Queen 2.jpg

Myrmourn Banshees with Tomb Banshee:

Through December and January (and either side of my bout of the Covid) I moved onto some banshees. I had been practicing with the Thorns of the Briar Queen and some unpictured Chainrasps to create a black to dark green to pale green shading...which involved many many washes of hexwraith. For the tomb banshee's hair I stole inspiration from a few youtube videos on painting red and blonde hair.

Banshees 1.jpg

Banshees 2.jpg

Because she's worth it.jpg

The finished Thorns of the Briar Queen amidst some gates and walls of a Garden of Morr

Thorns based 4.jpg

Thorns based 2.jpg

Thorn of Briar Queen.jpg

Dreadblade Harrows:

I tried experimenting how far I could blend bone to ghostly green with these ones. I think I managed to get the effect pretty well.

Dreadblades 1.jpg

Dreadblades 2.jpg

Dreadblades 3.jpg

Dreadblades 4.jpg

Test Glaviewraith:

With this one I was playing with cheats to make the flow of black to green a bit easier. I used Caliban green watered down into a wash, which I later improved upon with later Glaivewraiths. The rust effect was an application of Typhus Corrosion and a drybrush of Ryza Rust on some nuln oiled leadbelcher.

Test glaivewraith 1.jpg

Test glaivewraith 3.jpg

More to follow eventually. 😛

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
I decided to recut my fangs on some Aeronautica Imperialis, Nighthaunt, and Stormcast, with an eventual hope to move onto some of my more classic Vampire Counts models, Skaven, Dwarfs, and Dread Fleet.

That is a commendable initiative! 🙂 I always say "I need to practice on something else before I start on my precious VC." and then somehow that happens very slow. 😅
You seem to be gaining steam quite nicely tho. 😁

I especially like the Dreadblade Harrows and the Glaivewraith. The bone to ghastly look transition is smooth and very cool. Great rust all around as well. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Hissk Deadtail
Jun 26, 2021
Thankies for the kind word-things. 🙂

It's helped that over on the Moulder Pitfighters rpg campaign forum i've been doing the old UE Monthly Painting Vows system.
So every month I make a list worked out to points of what I want to try and build/paint/base and try and get through it in the month.
It has helped me churn through a fair bit (although I keep putting off finishing the last half of the Garden of Morr.)

Anyway, here's some pictures of the later Glaivewraiths. I also decided to paint the zombie birb as a ghost instead partly for the theme and also as contrast to my Knight-Azyros conversion I will eventually do, who will have her spirit guardian birb with her (though he'll be in a icy blue.)

glaive 1.jpg Glaive 2.jpg
Glaive 3.jpg Glaive 5.jpg
Glaive 6.jpg Glaive 7.jpg
Glaive 8.jpg Glaive 9.jpg
Glaive 11.jpg Altogether 2.jpg

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Firstly, thanks for sharing. You have some really well-painted models, and the rust effect on the weapons is brilliant. I've always loved the transition effects on ghostly models (we used to have a brilliant article here on CN but for the unlife of me I can't find it 😤) and you've done a cracking job of it. Keep 'em coming!

Reactions: Hissk Deadtail
Jun 26, 2021
Cheers matey! 🙂

Here's a few non-Warhammer/AoS ones that I painted last month.

Rogue Trader Janus Draik:

DSC_0595.jpg
DSC_0598.jpg
DSC_0600.jpg

The GW Model of the Month Sister of Battle that I was dared into painting yellow.
I will not be painting yellow armour again if I can help it now! 😛

DSC_0612.jpg

Kroot Tracker Dahyak Grekh who was the most fun i've had painting a model thus far.
He's got quite a Spaghetti Western vibe to him.

DSC_0622.jpg
DSC_0623.jpg
DSC_0625.jpg
DSC_0626.jpg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu