• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Scalenex

Ghoul
Mar 6, 2012
So, I have been slowly working on creating jungle themed undead.

I planned to make my Grave Guard out of converted Tomb Guard. I figured their helmets would look Mayan with the right paint job. Swap the Egyptian style weapons for Saurus Weapons (probably Temple Guard Halberds). Poof! I have the Elite Maylar Guard to sub in for Tomb Guard or Grave Guard as needed.

Long ago, I decided I would not make major purchases while I had boxes and boxes of unassembled bits. Seemed reasonable at the time.

But now Games Workshop is no longer supporting Tomb Kings and now a box of Tomb Guard costs approximately one kidney.

Any thoughts on how I can complete my Maylar Guard.

Fluff is that long ago the Slann set up a human occupied Temple City administered by Skinks but Chaos subverted the Lizardmen/Human hybrid city. The Maylar Guard were the elite warriors of Khorne (well by the name Maylar). Centuries after their deaths, they were reanimated as elite skeletons.

How should I go about making human skeletons look both badass and Meso-American?

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
You're gunna love this, even if it's not helpful. I remembered answering a thread similar to this a bit back, one where I had linked a bunch of google images and such. I went tromping through 26 pages of Dying To Help because I /knew/ that thread was here somewhere.

It turns out the thread I was gunna link you to was a thread you had started in the first place.

So for old time's sake, and because it's funny as Hell to me:

https://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/mesoamerican-undead.20198/

Scalenex

Ghoul
Mar 6, 2012
Most of the links in the old thread aren't working anymore. The old thread just wants met to shell out $100 bucks per box. I mean did just get my tax refund, but to spend the bulk of it on minis?

Aug 9, 2015
Massachusetts
I'm guessing since in your other thread you mentioned buying pathfinder minis to use as Necros, you don't mind your army being GW tournament legal.

I personally swear by the wargames factory skeletons set. There is a learning curve to building them (the feet come separate from the legs! I'd recommend keeping the bar between the feet until their built and ready to prime.) But their mostly unclothed, and have a wide variety of poses you can do. Also, they usually come at 30 skeletons for about 20-25 dollars. I do not know for sure how well the skeletons measure up next to tomb kings grave guard, but I have seen people proxy tomb kings with them:

http://guardsguardsminiaturewargaming.blogspot.com/2014/05/tomb-king-skeletons.html.

I know they stand about equal height to the current skeletons in the vampire counts army.

The WGF store is currently down, and their new distributor is dragging their feet with the re-releasing the kits, but I'm sure there are re-sellers that could help.

Then, I would suggest buying a load of weapons from the Assaultgroup Aztec/Talaxacalan range. It should be much more affordable then combing ebay for OOP minis.

http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/index.php?p=53

Other than that, I'm sure you don't need me to say green-stuff will be your best friend in this endeavor!

PS: You will definitely want the set labeled “improved.” The old run of figures was made out of really brittle plastic, with poor detail and a lot of breakage. The new set is much better, and you should be able to get 30 models out of it if you play nice while building and storing them.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu