• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

How do you equip you Necromancers

I was just looking at my army book and thinking about how to equip my new necromancer. My plan is the necromancer with extra spell, power stone, and a dispel scroll. This totals 115pts, but i want your opinions on how else i could equip him or what has worked for you in the past.

Thanks

Gregory

Vall

Skeleton
Necromancers? Bah, who needs those? I use a pair of level two vampires to do my magical work.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
My usual set up for a necromancer is 2x power stones and the danse macabre spell. Works as a danse-enforcer when I need it the most, heheh.

Arion

Vampire Lord
True Blood
I usually give them a bound item, to add some extra power to my magic phase, therefore causing dispel worries. The Staff of damnation works well for a necro on a corpse cart, or simply in the middle of your army.

Hummmmmmmmmmm, interesting;

I had not considered giving him a bound item, leaving those for the vampires. How about mounting him on a corpse cart, have any had any terrible failures or great successes with with a who is necromancer mounted.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Book of Arkhan is always good, leaves you're vampire to take more juicy items. Plus know it has been clarified that the CC is counted as the number of models it displaces in a unit, even more reason to have as necro mounted on one in there.

Other than that, the power stone & vahels combo works well.

I'm going to try out a Necro mounted on CC and joined to a unit of 20 ghouls. I believe that brings the US to 28, with a 7 wide rank (5 ghouls and corpse cart per rank). The Necro will be equipped with Staff of Damnation to add a bound spell to the magic phase. I'm thinking with a Ghoulkin vamp in the army this unit should get into combat pretty quickly and be able to use the extra attack from SoD.

I've had good success taking a Necro, giving them the extra spells Raise Dead, and Danse, as well as the Sceptre De Noirot, and mounting them on a Corpse Cart. Occasionally I'll also give them a dispel scroll for good measure.

I usually then have them join a large block of skellies. The unit tends to hang back a little more than the rest of the army for the first few rounds, giving the option to create new units of Zombies, and then to increase their size, or to provide a crucial Danse if needed. As well, it uses Misma for any units ahead of it that become engaged, before itself gets into combat in the latter turns.

I guess I have been lucky so far, but I haven't had an opponent yet that has thought to try to target the Necro once the unit is in combat. I certainly won't give them any reminder or help in that area either ;)

TheBlackBey said:
I'm going to try out a Necro mounted on CC and joined to a unit of 20 ghouls. I believe that brings the US to 28...
It is not. It is US24 = 20 ghouls + W3 Corpsecart + 1 rider.

The displaced models only count for rank purposes.

The Red Scourge said:
TheBlackBey said:
I'm going to try out a Necro mounted on CC and joined to a unit of 20 ghouls. I believe that brings the US to 28...
It is not. It is US24 = 20 ghouls + W3 Corpsecart + 1 rider.

The displaced models only count for rank purposes.
You are correct! I should have said "model count" instead of "US". Thanks for catching that.

Chobber

Grave Guard
I use a Necromancer with a Power Stone, IoN, Vanhels and then mounted on a Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone. Seems, to work fine. I consider to equip him with a Dispel Scroll as well. Sometimes I give him the Book of Arkhan instead..

adrift

Black Knight
Considering necro on a corpse cart vs HE

I was going to stick him in a unit of ghouls. Since the corpse cart/necro combo only has a US of 4, does that mean they (CC and necro) are completely immune to missile fire targeting as long as there are 5 RNF models in the unit?

Plus, what about ranks? How does the CC work in terms of filling out the required 5 models in each rank?

Rules references to confirm are appreciated.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
I'm afraid that I cannot find the rules references to confirm it at this very moment but I've seen them somewhere. Anyway, the corpse cart will take up as much space as 6 ghouls (being on a 50x100mm base) and even though it is only US4, it will count as a full 6 models for the purposes of rank bonus. Hopefully someone else will fill in here with the necessary references, heheh.

And yeah, it should be immune to missile fire as long as there are enough bodies to shield it. I can't really see why you'd want a cart inside a unit intended to reach combat though. The necromancer, being on a 50mm frontage, will be killed immediately. Even regular troopers have a quite decent chance at felling him, which will remove the cart from the unit at the end of the turn and likely smush the rank bonus. I've never actually tried it myself though, perhaps I should..

Edit: Ah, here it is - GW FAQ'2 Feb09

It starts at the bottom of the third page and continues on the fourth, its the first question under Characters & Challenges. :)

Ergo-Sum

Vampire Thrall
True Blood
I've generally run mine with invocation and Van hels, and then either two power stones or power stone and dispel scroll. As has already been said, it frees your vampires up to carry some more juicey items. The power stone version can be really grim, as if you have the black periapt in your list, you can potentially cast 4 Van hels just from him in one turn, although you will need a 7+ on each of them, so it is likely at least one will fail. Still, the potential to do that is pretty powerful.

As to the corpse cart, i'm not convinced its all that useful as a mount. I agree with masterspark, if you get in combat, you'll likely to be killed. T3, 2W and no save will not last long. I think even normal missile fire could take him down if its not well shielded by troops. I'd rather just put him on foot in my bunker unit. That does make for a rather centralised bloock of power dice, but then it increases flexibility in where you can put your cart. I could see the use of the cart as a mount if your not running a bunker i.e. a combat/dragon lord.

Necromancer in a CC with Dance and 2x Power Stone is a highly effective magic support character that will not eat too many points. I like adding a lodestone if I field wraiths. Getting a whole healthy wraith back for 1 casting of IoN is nasty at 50 pts a pop and you can count on your opponent picking on them. otherwise Necros are a cheap scroll caddy

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Go-Go gadget Threadomancy! Still a very relevant topic though so kudo's for doing all the searching instead of just making your own post...

Personally I've had a lot of success recently with making the Necromancer Know Danse as his only spell and giving him a Powerstone and the Black Periapt.He adds a Dispel dice, I can transfer his Power dice when they're not needed and, when the occasion calls he can throw out the Danse! I don't see any point in this guy having Invocation as he can transfer his dice to dispel, then back to Power dice in the next phase for use by one of my Summon Ghouls (or whatever you like to use) vamps.

do many people 'bunker' their CC necro with the staff in a unit of 10 with a caster lord? or does that just become too juicy of a target

N1AK

Vampire Count
True Blood
I often use my Necromancer as a 2x Dispel Scroll caddy. In my current 2250 list he sits in a Skeleton bunker alongside my Helm of Commandment Vampire (my combat lord goes forwards).

The other use I've had success with is VHD and 2-3x Power Stones. In an non-comp enviroment this can give you a couple of really overpowering magic phases.

Generally I don't bother giving the Necromancer additional spells, without powerstones the only thing he ever tries to do is put wounds bank on things, with power stones I'm buying him for VHD. Adding additional spells has little if any value to me.

Swissdictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
I'm not prone to use Necromancers, and I tend to put them in a unit as opposed to cart (at least for now). That's me though.

If they're on foot, keep them cheap. A scroll or two isn't that bad as, unlike Vampires, they're very easily killed by even rank and file. So that way you've used up their items, usually, by the time they die (if they do). I have seen them wield the Sceptre as well.

It depends on what your army is like and most importantly how many magic you have. I used a fairly heavy magic list in recent tournament ( 11PD+ BOA+CC) and I didn't have a scroll yet so my necro had +1 spell and a scroll and a power stone.