• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

How do you guys run your zombies?

I was wondering how you guys run your zombie hordes. I've wanted to run massive blocks of them so bad since last edition, and now that it's finally possible, I don't even care if everybody else is going to do it :thumbsup: My real concern, is how big do you start them as? I'm trying to get a 3000 point list together for a campaign this summmer, and my core is looking like lots of zombies and puppies. If I run a block of 20 for a bunker, and two blocks of 50, would that be a good start? and furthermore, should they be 10 or 5 wide? I'm leaning towards horde, as they are going to get their ranks up pretty fast. Anyway, thanks for any advice all.

I run 50, 5 wide, 10 deep with FC. Most of them time they will get 4+ static CR, unless they get flanked, but I don't really care because it's their job to tie things up.

I'm not a big fan of the core of the new book, that's why I like to go with as much bodies I can fit in the 600 points (I'm playing 2400 points battles). Units of ~ 50 Zombies are okay, after an IoN or two they'll be very difficult to get rid of. Musicians are in, but the banners are only good when you know you might get the Blood & Glory scenario.

I like to field Zombies two or three models wide. Long conga lines are way better than ranked Zombies, because you don't get anything from steadfast, and minimizing the amount of attacking enemies is just better than the three rank bonuses. Also, long Zombie trains can block the possible flanking enemies' way.

One thing could be to take a big huge unit of 200 Zombies. It'd fill the whole core, and they could just go on the other flank and hold the enemy, while your fighting elements deal with the other side. I like to play with ETC comps so I can't use this, but some of you might.

- Cheers, Skarsnik.

Problem with 3 wide though is that most other enemy units, who will still be 5 wide as well, will be able to attack with just as many models as if you had 5 ranks wide, meaning all your doing is losing your rank bonuses.

Not going 5 wide is just absurd! I go with 80 zombies in 1 unit, horde form. Sorry guys but i don't fuck around with units. My zombies have to be able to fight or atleast grind down an enemy unit before the zombies pop. I am not content to watch them do 0 wounds 3 combats in a row and pop.

This isn't the best strat. with IoN spam. But lets face it. If you are IoN spamming to get zombies and think you will win the game because of the shear number of zombies you raise. You are crazy wrong, and relying on magic phase? Posh without MotBA. (u will cry when u roll double 1's on first turn and are way way way behind on ressing zombies :grave: GG) Get your shit straight, don't run units that pop in 2 rounds of combat (1 full turn).

Why try to steal steadfast when your zombies lose combat vs 90% of core units?

The way I run my zombies is:
Make zombies useful by whatever means necessary.

Aeviaan said:
Problem with 3 wide though is that most other enemy units, who will still be 5 wide as well, will be able to attack with just as many models as if you had 5 ranks wide, meaning all your doing is losing your rank bonuses.
Enemy units that are in 5 models wide formations are rarely a problem in our gaming group's meta. The holding units and bunkers go for ranks, the fighting units go for horde to max out their fighting abilities. I said three models wide, as you can't fit 40 Zombies in two models wide formation in your deployment zone. ;) On their second turn they'll swift reform into two models wide formation.

- Cheers, Skarsnik.

Haha I had to laugh at that. It's a sound strategy to protect your flanks, but can imagine conga lines of zombies just getting in the way of everything and can see it really annoying your opponent.

Still, wouldn't employ it myself in a friendly game but I might try it one day to see how well it works.

Conga Line zombies is pretty funny, but I'm not going to want to build multiple carrying bases as my bases will be scenic, and that sounds like a lot of people will give me weird looks when I pull that out. I guess the real question is, do the rank bonuses and reduction of attacks outweigh the extra attacks I get from Horde. I know that Zombies aren't hardcore combat units, but it sounds more fun, and seeing how I won't be playing in any tournaments or hardcore meta games, I don't mind running a less than stellar list. Besides, doesn't Van Hells Bubble? Or is that only the movement part? If I can bubble than and give units re-rolls to hit, they get a lot more. . . competent?

Jacques Dauger De Cavoye said:
Conga Line zombies is pretty funny, but I'm not going to want to build multiple carrying bases as my bases will be scenic, and that sounds like a lot of people will give me weird looks when I pull that out. I guess the real question is, do the rank bonuses and reduction of attacks outweigh the extra attacks I get from Horde. I know that Zombies aren't hardcore combat units, but it sounds more fun, and seeing how I won't be playing in any tournaments or hardcore meta games, I don't mind running a less than stellar list. Besides, doesn't Van Hells Bubble? Or is that only the movement part? If I can bubble than and give units re-rolls to hit, they get a lot more. . . competent?
Yea, VHD for rerolls to hit is most helpful. Lore of Beasts signature spell in theory should help zombies also. Hellish vigour is always helpful too.

I plan on trying out lore of beasts with a 70+ unit of skeletons with spears in horde form. hopefully adding staff of damnation and VHD to this equation will push them into badass mode.

I had the same thoughts, Str4 core with ASF, 2 attacks, and re-rolls to hit and wound in horde formation would be absolutely devastating. It would be your whole magic phase to buff them, but oh would it ever pay off. That being said, I have no qulams doing this to zombies. Some people think it's a waste buffing units when you could be killing things or IoN'ing, but if that's what I have to do to get kills, so be it.

Understandably, Staff of damnation makes every unit it touches, just as much effective. The spell buffs, however, vary in usability depending on what unit you are dealing with.

When deciding which spell buffs are nice, I'm looking at WS10 I10 (heavens or light I dont remember), beast lore signature (wysanns wild form), and the Vampire lore VHD HV.

zombies at ws 1 need the ws10 I10 buff, everything else helps a lot too but overcoming the hitting on 5+ is a priority.

Skeles arent in so much of a need, however they would undoubtedly benefit from ws10 and I10. I am very temped to run horde form+spears with wysanns wild form.

I take ghouls in more of a support role now, and I really like to give them buffs to hold out and win combat to avoid instability casualties. Beasts signature sounds perfect for this, along with various rerolls. (I like running 20 ghouls as a grinder unit to inflict casualties, hopefully with ASF fromm CC, to cut some ranks off some something before I actually have to deal with it)

I don't use crypt horrors, but they would be awesome at T6 str5 with wyssans wild form.

Vargheists usually aren't in range for magic but anything helps them. specially I10 WS10 in combat.

Black Knights need WS 10 I10 if you want to hit on 2+ with barrows. Wysanns wild form for str5 T5 is really solid too, because if you take barding, a 2+ armor save is there to help. rerolls as usual always are helpful, I love my BK but I roll so bad sometimes :(

Varghulf benefits from WS10 I10, especially against units with flaming attacks so that he can attack before they do unless they have ASF. Wysanns wild form helps a lot vs flaming attacks too because the extra toughness is there to pad him.

Coach loves all of these spell buffs.

Mortis, ehh.

GG are our main concern when it comes to buffs, because anything; be it WS10 I10 buff, wysanns wild form, VHD or HV, is extremely valuable on our hardest brick unit.

Hex wraiths, ehh (woot rerolls and buffs for models with only 1 attack + steeds)

Wraiths become very touch with any spell buffs, and are overwhelming if your opponent can't attack them due to them being ethereal.