• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

How many undead do you raise?

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
I have only been able to play Theory Hammer with the new VCs this far, so now I'm asking you guys for help...
As I started assembling my zombie unit, I asked my self: "how many of these do I actually need to play a game?". Thus I quickly consulted the forums.

Now my Question is as follows: How many zombies/skellies do you usually raise during a battle when the point size is either 500, 1000 or 2000 (or any other size of course). It would be nice if you also included magic info (how many PDs and magic lvls you have etc.)

Thanks in advance... The Dark Sheep

I tend to raise only when the first casualties have fallen (unless the unit consists of weak zombies), or when the unit is going to be charged by cavalry or units including melee characters, Grail Knights, dragons, hydras, trolls, and the list goes on.

I always start with units of 25, unless the game's lower than 1000 pts. Then I go with 20 (maybe more with zombies), and raise if the unit's starting to bite the dust too early or if they have been charged, taking many casualties).

Going magic heavy in smaller games (wich might be hard to do in the 7th ed. VC as the Necros can only be lvl1?), you'll have much more choice what to do, and by logic and great wisdom you can figure out what's the best choice at a specific moment. Remember that there are other Necro magics that are lethal aswell, might take some PD on those too. Oh, and if you have a vampire, perhaps it's better to bring him into combat rather than focusing on the casting - he aint got godly stats for nothing!

Remember, before the game ends, make sure as many units as possible have more than half of their original numbers, as your opponent will have victory points for those that don't. It might be easy to forget in the heat of battle! Healing a unit of Skellies to make your opponent loose his victory points for them in the 6th turn is possibly one of the wisest things you can do that turn when it comes to raising.

Just had to point out those basic things - haven't played for a year or more, naither have I played the 7ed VC rules yet.

Kham out

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Short answer: As many as I can.

It depends on how many casters I have and how magic has been going. I had poor magic in my last game. Between 1 lvl 1 and 1 lvl 2 casters spamming IoN on a 3+ I raised about 30-35 skellies. one unit of 14 got wiped out, so the net result was a doubling of one unit.

Assumptions:
-no interference from opponent
-summoning non-zombies
-no relevant 'master' skill
Odds are you'll cast 1/2 times. Odds are also that you will average 3.5 undead per casting. So you'll raise 1.75 undead/casting.

Assumptions:
-no interference from opponent
-summoning non-zombies
-Relevant 'master' skill
Odds are you'll cast 2/3 times. Odds are also that you will average 3.5 undead per casting. So you'll average 2.3 undead/casting

Given one fully employed lvl 2 vamp(4PD) you'll get 7-9 undead per turn.
With a stone cart you can expect 9-10 per turn.

Pick your build and how many dice you want to throw at it.

I haven't dealt with zombies, so someone else will have to fill that in.

I hope this helps.

Tal Rasha

Grave Guard
I own over 100 zombies, but you should have about 40-60 to start with. This allows you to start with one or two units and have extra to raise.

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
Thank you guys, but I might have expressed myself wrong :rolleyes:... What I really want to know (Even though that other stuff you wrote was very relevant) is how many extra models should I bring?

N1AK

Vampire Count
True Blood
I played in a tournament on Monday 2k points, 3 games, won 2 lost 1. I raised 6 Zombies in total (one new unit to hold a table quarter), I added at most 15 Skeletons during any one game.
I tend to use IoN to keep what I have alive not add to my army, I prefer using my magic to boost my troops or attack my enemy.

I would suggest havving 20+ Zombies (enough to raise a full block or a couple of chuck away units), and enough Skeletons/Ghouls to get each unit up to 25 models.

How many extra models? Hmm, I'd always have an extra unit of both Skellys and Zombies (hence 20, 25) in games above 1000. Then again, having more magic equals more summoning. Some people even use to raise 40+ Zombies in a game, but that's not a very effective strategy (IMHO). Remember that those guys die too, so you'll soon have some dead guys to get onto the table again. You don't need to go to a tournament with 40+ of each, I'd say that's the absolute maximum of what you should have - God, I'd never want to paint that many!

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
You can't do either arromanche, Raise Dead does not allow you to raise a command with the unit, likewise, unless you paid for command on the unit, you cannot raise them later with IoN. If you do pay for them however, you MUST raise them back first with IoN if they have been killed.

Yudas

Skeleton
I mostly raise just a few zombies at a time and this is mostly to divert that nasty unit of chaos knights thats bearing down on you.

Crimson

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sadly, you cannot raise Command when using Invocation, however you can re raises the command of units when restoring wounds, Tomb Kings can also do something similar I do believe, or I may be complete off my rock.

I own 60 Zombies and 80 Skellies. If you plan on taking the tar pit approach u will need maybe 100 Zombies. And I start the game with only 10 skellieseach in two units and use my lvl2 LotD Vamps to raise them to about 25 by turn 3. It saves me 135 points in each unit that way...so Ican bring more nasties :-D plus the opponent will have to get me down to 5 skellies to get points for them

I start with units of 10 skellis and raise them up to 20-25, Dont really raise that many zombies exept thin lines to divert charges (this is easy to scavenge out of a box of zombies , with arms coming out of bases to look like they are raising).

You might need a few spirit host bases too for Wind of undeath

i always bring at least another 50 to 60 zombies to a tourney. it takes that many to bog down a combat monster forever, plus you need re-directors etc. They are cheap to make as 1 zombie model can be stretched into about 3-4 if need be, or even make 40mm bases into a diorama with spare models being attacked by zombies to help fill the space. i had 3 spare OK ogres and voila counts as 12 zombies. They are so easy to raise and if a khorne player has no magic defence it is easy to get alot up.

dont forget in the last turn to throw some quarter grabbers/ deniers for a cheap 100 points! my mates thought that zombies are a waste. they are awesome when used correctly. i love zombies.