• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

How to kill a Greater Demon (mainly Khorne)

Arion

Vampire Lord
True Blood
All in the title, how would you kill greater demon for bloodthirster i personally would tarpit it with zombies and keep on raising until i somehow work out what is able to kill it.So how to do it Discuss!

IMHO zombie unit with max. bonus for ranks, standard, musician + a character with the Cursed Book nearby (not in the fight) is a good way to handle even a Bloodthirster. There is a good chance the demon will lose the combat, maybe not on the first turn but eventually...

Another option is to charge it with a couple of vampires, but I think you would need 3 to be quite sure you kill it before it fights back.

Agifem

Skeleton
Arion said:
All in the title, how would you kill greater demon
I think a far more important question is to ask yourselves : How would you catch a greater demon ? The only ones you'll ever see are Khorne and Tzeench, and they're both flying large targets, which means THEY will choose their fights, even though the Khorne demon is frenzied.

Just like a block of 20 ogres, i think trying to kill a greater demon is futile. It's far better, safer and easier to try to take the demon away from the battlefield. It can be relativly easily done with the Khorne demon, thanks to frenzy, but the Tzeench one, that's another story.

Use wolves to divert them, and leave no space between your blocks of troops so that the enemy cannot charge, it should ensure the Khorne demon can do nothing else but charges the doggies, and be laid away from the heart of the battle.

Arion

Vampire Lord
True Blood
hehe thumbs up hand of dust:D

combat res is a good idea..........
must think on catching it maybe hem it in on all sides?(using board edge) but it can just fly over if its tzeentch. just hope tzeentch miscasts(can it?)or makes a mistake:devil:
Thanks for replys

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Hmm... DoW cannon?

Does his attacks count as magical? If not try Spirit Hosts.

Just like a block of 20 ogres, i think trying to kill a greater demon is futile. It's far better, safer and easier to try to take the demon away from the battlefield. It can be relativly easily done with the Khorne demon, thanks to frenzy, but the Tzeench one, that's another story.
Though, doesn't he get 360 degrees vision? With Flying the only reliable thing is to tarpit.... (although I'm not aware if large targets get 360 or 90 degrees vision)

DarkHand6

Grave Guard
Count Guillaume said:
Does his attacks count as magical? If not try Spirit Hosts.
very magical - dont try spirit hosts they'll just die

Though, doesn't he get 360 degrees vision? With Flying the only reliable thing is to tarpit.... (although I'm not aware if large targets get 360 or 90 degrees vision)
no 360 sight - ona large base so only 90 degree vision, a cunning player will just have him facing backwards for the first turn or so though until he can get into position - sneaky but legal ;)

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
lets be honest, a BT is going to be going after one thing, your general, its has 8 s7 killing blow attacks, thanks for moving charges in the order you declare all a chaos player needs do is declare a charge with something else before the BT to stop it being able to charge the doggies (as all models in combat would be engaged).

i dont think tarpiting would work that well, all it needs is backup like flesh hounds to rip through a zombie unit in very short order.

just doing a devil advocate here cos alot of these idea really require the other guy to be in silly potions. just a thought how would you guys deal with a BT exalted daemon tag team?

Agifem

Skeleton
logan054 said:
lets be honest, a BT is going to be going after one thing, your general
I'll play the enemy if you'd like. I have a beast of US 6 (or is it 7 ?) that flies, ignores fear and terror, and tears through even wights like they were made out of toilet paper. Killing blow doesn't affect it, and its attacks are magical.
If i have such a beast against a vampire army, i'll deploy it facing backwards, fly it to a flank of the vampire army on the first turn, and charge on the 2nd. Now, a beast like that cancels ranks bonus. So it's US + Banner against his might killing abilities and his flank bonus. I'll charge the general, yes, but i'll aim for his unit, not just him. I'll tear through the unit from the rear or flank until nothing moves.

Honestly, tarpitting him is a vaine hope. He flies and is a large target. He picks his targets, you don't. Frenzy isn't a handicap on such a monster.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
logan054 said:
thanks for moving charges in the order you declare all a chaos player needs do is declare a charge with something else before the BT to stop it being able to charge the doggies (as all models in combat would be engaged).
If you've got multiple charges on the same unit, you still need to maximise the number of models from both units to get in, which usually means your flying nasty would have to make it into combat too, even if it's just corner to corner while the rest of the units rank up more neatly. So you can't just move up your Doggies and hope to block off the frenzied charge... you'd generally need 6+ to get in the way completely anyway, and who takes 6 Hounds in one unit anyway? ;)

Anyway, Greater Daemons are scary, but they can be taken down like any other enemy using lots of skilled tactics. Keep all your units nice and close to each other, only giving the Bloodthirster one unit's front to land by to charge, then it has to cause 6 wounds to win combat, which it could easily fluff. If you can get a Cursed Book-equipped character nearby, all the better!

Still, not gonna give away all my ideas for destroying a Bloodthirster or other strong Greater Daemons, who knows, I might end up having to face one sooner or later :D

TheAdmiral

Black Knight
Oh dear, I wonder if anyone here has ever killed a Greater Deamon..:|.

THE key is to get as large a Static CR as you can, win the combat and poof! Instability kicks in.

Ghouls are also a nice tool, altought they are not immune to terror, they have poisoned attacks (deadly against T6 monsters).

With OnG, I usually go for a Bloodthirster with Savage Orc Characters and some Boar boyz, another option would be to feed them Gobbos (or Zombies, in case of VC).

Vampire Counts are perfect for destroying these beasties, just make sure that the Bloodthirsters nearest target is ALWAYS a unit zombies/skeletons.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Sorry, nearest target? Let's not confuse the issue here, a Bloodthirster is a frenzied flying large target, so it will not have to charge the nearest unit if there are other choices...

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
EvC said:
logan054 said:
thanks for moving charges in the order you declare all a chaos player needs do is declare a charge with something else before the BT to stop it being able to charge the doggies (as all models in combat would be engaged).
If you've got multiple charges on the same unit, you still need to maximise the number of models from both units to get in, which usually means your flying nasty would have to make it into combat too, even if it's just corner to corner while the rest of the units rank up more neatly. So you can't just move up your Doggies and hope to block off the frenzied charge... you'd generally need 6+ to get in the way completely anyway, and who takes 6 Hounds in one unit anyway? ;)
I guess that means Olaf was doing some cheekyness last night!, still

Still, not gonna give away all my ideas for destroying a Bloodthirster or other strong Greater Daemons, who knows, I might end up having to face one sooner or later :D
I dont have one :tongue: you wont be facing one just yet ;)

TheAdmiral said:
Vampire Counts are perfect for destroying these beasties, just make sure that the Bloodthirsters nearest target is ALWAYS a unit zombies/skeletons.
This is a very mistake with frenzy, it isnt the closest target its any target within charge range and LoC, gives a large target with a 20" range a hell of alot of options, as i said these guys really are going to be going for your general, even with cursed book its got a damn good chance i taking him out, even if he dies all the other guy has to do is sit back and watch your army crumble.

quote=Agifem]
logan054 said:
lets be honest, a BT is going to be going after one thing, your general
I'll play the enemy if you'd like. I have a beast of US 6 (or is it 7 ?) that flies, ignores fear and terror, and tears through even wights like they were made out of toilet paper. Killing blow doesn't affect it, and its attacks are magical.
If i have such a beast against a vampire army, i'll deploy it facing backwards, fly it to a flank of the vampire army on the first turn, and charge on the 2nd. Now, a beast like that cancels ranks bonus. So it's US + Banner against his might killing abilities and his flank bonus. I'll charge the general, yes, but i'll aim for his unit, not just him. I'll tear through the unit from the rear or flank until nothing moves.

Honestly, tarpitting him is a vaine hope. He flies and is a large target. He picks his targets, you don't. Frenzy isn't a handicap on such a monster.
[/quote]

Im glad someone else here sees reason!, i have to say i wouldnt face him backwards, just isnt the done thing, maybe in a tournament..

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
I can't quite work out exactly how he could have been cheeky with it then (If he was charging)...

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
who said anything about him charging? actually, if you notice the example i gave for a BT its my unit charge and you doing one at a time, now, hmm, perhaps when i charged a unit with a spawn and marauders, i never even said what was cheeky but you go making assumptions..

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
It's different with Spawn and Marauders, because you move the Spawn in the cumpolsory movement phase, so if that goes in and then blocks off the Marauders, well, tough luck. Although that might not have been the case- you are pefectly free to say exactly who charged what instead of playing silly buggers and being vague :tongue:

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
this isnt a topic about this, i was trying not to drag it off topic, besides, me playing silly buggers, this coming from the curry man.....

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
More like you wanted to call FatOlaf cheeky but have in fact failed. Gotcha... and thanks for the curry, man! :D

Keep it on topic, guys.

CG had an idea with the DoW cannons, and I thought it was worth mentioning again as it wasn't picked up.

Being able to deal with this beast at range is most preferable, however you would most probably get off just one turn of shooting (2 if lucky) with the cannon before the bloodthirster/furies are munching through the crew.

The Bloodthirster will walk through anything you put in front of it, so don't give it anything worthwhile to walk through. Although this could lead you to fielding a deliberately soft army (no expensive knights, grave guard, etc), the chaos player will be hard pressed to make back their 600+ points.

Once the Bloodthirster hits one of your soft units, cross your fingers that he doesn't rip through it in one turn, then summon skellies/zombies into the unit like there is no tomorrow.

The points about the daemon picking his targets are very valid ones, however. Just be careful, and expect to loose a unit or two before the Bloodthirster looses momentum and becomes bogged down.