• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

How to make dripping blood?

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
I'v got a conversion in mind where a model is holding a bloody skull, with blood dripping off it and onto another model. I want to capture the feeling of the blood dripping, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've got ideas in my head like running PVA down some thread, or melting some plastic with a flame, or just pouring some PVA over something and letting it drip and dry for a while, but nothing really jumps out at me as an easy way to make this work. Any thoughts? Has anyone used a similar effect before?

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood

UHU and tamiya clear (or possibly blood for the blood god)
This is what I've found to be the best looking, PVA looks wierd, sadly. It wouldn't be a drop per se by more like the very first spill of blood as the skull is ripped from the shoulders.. It may very well be you can create a drop that doesn't go from head to body but it will take some practice.!

I would suggest adding a drop of black or purple ink to the tamiya red if you use that method, makes the thicker globs looks a little less transparent and gives it the illusion of depth.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Cheers, I'll be doing some experimenting tomorrow! I don't think we have UHU here in Australia, so I might need to find a replacement. I think I know what sort of glue it is though, so hopefully I'll have some luck :)

Atrophus

Grave Guard
I have heard of people using a hair attached to the blood source and then something like PVA running down it to create a drop at the end, then painting red, very carefully I might add :tongue:
Also blood for the blood God technical paint is excellent in my opinion :suck: