• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Reaper

Wight King
Aug 30, 2011
I have begun a series of how to paint guides much like the showcase of showing off your masterpieces this is to show off how you paint your undead. Do not be bashful feel free to share so we can catalog a good variety and mix of wonderful undead tutorials. Please leave the holy water and stakes at home.

Carpe Noctem's How to paint thread index

Today I would like to share my technique for painting blood effects, bloody organs etc. It is really easy technique and has quite nice results.

Blood and gore technique

Colors: Blood red, Flesh wash, Black ink, Gloss varnish

Brush: Standard brush, Stippling brush (not necessarry), any tough brush (Small drybrush for example)

1 - blood wound/organs/large area of blood

Mix blood red with flesh wash about 50:50. This should create nice looking darker blood and also should be thinner than regular colour. Apply it to the spot. Now washes. It is your call, you can experiment here. I recommend medium wash of flesh wash, and for guts and similar stuff I add soft wash with black ink. If you want you can highlight some spots with blood red, but I usually skip this part.

2 - edges of bloody areas

Again, use the mix of blood red and flesh wash. Now take your stippling brush(you don't need brand new stippling brush - just check my rust effect tut in my signature for inspiration) and dip it in the mixed colour. Instead of wiping the color from the brush like with drybrush technique, just 'stab' onto paper. You don't need to wipe all colour out of the brush, just do it a few times, so the brush leaves about 70% of it's trace. Now use the same 'stabbing' procedure to apply the paint to the edges. It should look like the blood was splashed from the wound.

3 - blood gaps

One more time prepare your colour mix. Then take any tough brush you have and dip it in the colour. Since english is not my native language, I'm not sure how to describe the process, and because one picture is better than thousand words, here follows one showing how to apply the paint xD

(I know I don't have colour here, but it should be sufficient for understanding)
afc09.deviantart.net_fs71_f_2012_131_4_b_how_to_apply_blood_drops_by_wh_reaper_d4zdh2n.jpg

The splash you create using this technique looks really well. But be carefull if you don't want the paint all over the place - maybe use smaller or softer brush.

4 - finish

Now if you want the blood look fresh, apply gloss warnish on the blood spots. You don't have to be extra cautius here. If you accidentally apply the varnish where you don't have the blood(you just shouldn't miss too much), it still looks good(another body fluid perhaps). And if you miss some small blood spot, it looks like the blood dried a bit already.

5 - extra touch

If you want to add some really naturalistic touches to your bloody monsters, you can do the following. Take a hair and cut it to appropriate length. Then glue it to claws, hands or bloody parts. It is a bit tricky, but you should be able to do it. Then cover the whole hair in superglue. Wait for it to dry and paint it in simillar way as you painted the blood.

Here comes the pic of the finished result(notice the zombie eating a hand - I used the extra touch part here):
afc00.deviantart.net_fs70_f_2012_131_6_1_blood_effects_by_wh_reaper_d4zdgvo.jpg

I also used this technique on Necron Flayed ones in WH40k:
afc06.deviantart.net_fs70_i_2012_219_8_c_necron_flayed_ones_by_wh_reaper_d5a4hjo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
I have begun a series of how to paint guides much like the showcase of showing off your masterpieces this is to show off how you paint your undead. Do not be bashful feel free to share so we can catalog a good variety and mix of wonderful undead tutorials. Please leave the holy water and stakes at home.

Carpe Noctem's How to paint thread index

Last edited by a moderator:

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
How I paint blood is really very simple:

Paint Red Gore where you want blood.

After waiting for it to dry, use a Badab Black wash over all the blood.

Again wait to dry, then apply Gloss Varnish to all the blood. It now looks like fresh, sticky, thick dark blood. :thumbsup:

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Sounds good. I sometimes do a variant on that using red gore stippled over by blood red and then washed black.

desfer

Necromancer
Jun 13, 2010
Attiki, Atthens
Nothing new from me. The recipe is well known. The result is very realistic and easy to achieve. Tamiya clear red.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=298

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Alright. I finally got the effect I wanted after some fooling around with everyone else’s ways.

So to start with I bought a tube of Testor’s non-toxic cement for plastic models. I bought the smaller one since literally you only need a few drops.

avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_06_20120617_115257.6ad695875e07bccd374a9d95b3ccc859.jpg

I put a few drops of the glue and a little bit of the Tamiya clear red into a palette. I also added a piece of hair for the glue to clump to. I let it sit a few minutes, stirring it every so often to check the consistency. (I used the whittled down end of a broken brush to do it with)

avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_06_20120617_115616.9d627f85ed504dc0ac25f1b38bffdbab.jpg

Once it clumped well enough I took the hair and laid it across the model where I wanted it.

avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_06_20120617_120118.50b604d8ccad0bc81d6d1aaf6e2acde5.jpg

Another way I do blood is a 50/50 mix of Baal red and the old red ink.

I just paint it or splatter it where I want it.

avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_06_20120617_120406.dc5fd693c825f14ca8355aea11e734b7.jpg

Reaper

Wight King
Aug 30, 2011
Well, I have already written my tutorial on how to paint blood, but in case someone wanted to see it, link is in my signature ;)

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
hehe yes it is Could you repost it here even though I have the link in the painting index please reaper.

I thought of merging the thread but felt I should allow you to post it.

Reaper

Wight King
Aug 30, 2011
Today I would like to share my technique for painting blood effects, bloody organs etc. It is really easy technique and has quite nice results.

Blood and gore technique

Colors: Blood red, Flesh wash, Black ink, Gloss varnish

Brush: Standard brush, Stippling brush (not necessarry), any tough brush (Small drybrush for example)

1 - blood wound/organs/large area of blood

Mix blood red with flesh wash about 50:50. This should create nice looking darker blood and also should be thinner than regular colour. Apply it to the spot. Now washes. It is your call, you can experiment here. I recommend medium wash of flesh wash, and for guts and similar stuff I add soft wash with black ink. If you want you can highlight some spots with blood red, but I usually skip this part.

2 - edges of bloody areas

Again, use the mix of blood red and flesh wash. Now take your stippling brush(you don't need brand new stippling brush - just check my rust effect tut in my signature for inspiration) and dip it in the mixed colour. Instead of wiping the color from the brush like with drybrush technique, just 'stab' onto paper. You don't need to wipe all colour out of the brush, just do it a few times, so the brush leaves about 70% of it's trace. Now use the same 'stabbing' procedure to apply the paint to the edges. It should look like the blood was splashed from the wound.

3 - blood gaps

One more time prepare your colour mix. Then take any tough brush you have and dip it in the colour. Since english is not my native language, I'm not sure how to describe the process, and because one picture is better than thousand words, here follows one showing how to apply the paint xD

(I know I don't have colour here, but it should be sufficient for understanding)
afc09.deviantart.net_fs71_f_2012_131_4_b_how_to_apply_blood_drops_by_wh_reaper_d4zdh2n.jpg

The splash you create using this technique looks really well. But be carefull if you don't want the paint all over the place - maybe use smaller or softer brush.

4 - finish

Now if you want the blood look fresh, apply gloss warnish on the blood spots. You don't have to be extra cautius here. If you accidentally apply the varnish where you don't have the blood(you just shouldn't miss too much), it still looks good(another body fluid perhaps). And if you miss some small blood spot, it looks like the blood dried a bit already.

Here comes the pic of the finished result(click for full view):
afc00.deviantart.net_fs70_f_2012_131_6_1_blood_effects_by_wh_reaper_d4zdgvo.jpg

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Thanks so much reaper it is very much appreciated. I want to let you know how much a asset I feel you are in the P&M section.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Before I started using clear red I used the old GW Red Ink mixed with some black and that worked pretty well but you don't get the thick clotted blood that clear red gives you.

Curiosity of Zhatan

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu