• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

How to paint Skeletal Banners?

The Banners in the skeleton kit just seem to small to put anything on, yet leaving them blank would look off. How do people handle this? I've only been painting a few months max.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Well, you can paint as if it was a bigger banner with a bigger picture on it, but it got torn after battles - painting only a part of the bigger design.

I considered that, though it seems like it would be quite difficult to do, It would look nice. I always thought the banners where just banners the skeletons where holding when they died, I mean why would the Vampires care what their skellies are equipped with? So I may go with a non-VC style, maybe Empire.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
well some reasons a vampire would care about the banners are:
- use them to identify where your forces are on the battlefield, with undead it's very much the vampire playing chess against an army
- use them for intimidation of your foes, if you develop a name for yourself your banners will help strike fear
- use them to inflate your ego and give you a sembalance of not being so far removed from your past- especially for von carstiens this is a big one

there's plenty of space to put smaller icons like and symbols on the skeleton banner if you don't want to go for the partial banner

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Well, the vampires care enough to put bat imaginery on everything they raise xD No need to constrain yourself, but empire is an idea - maybe some additional bits would be helpful to pull it of in its entirety, but choosing colors of a particual province works well too and makes unifying an army/unit easier ;)

I suppose that makes sense, though any old banner will do for identifying where troops are, and for intimidating your enemies, you'd think watching a deadman, possibly your comrade, weild a banner, not of its own design, but one you and your kind carry. A symbol of your army, decrepit and in tatters, being wielded by a deadman, would be quite a terrifying sight, one would think.

Either way, I'll probably go with something simple, as my free-hand sucks. Maybe a stenciled on bat design or a golden trim on a dirty white banner, with half a cross on it.