• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

ftayl5

Skeleton
Feb 13, 2010
I am hijacking this thread as I am starting a how to paint undead series. We have a good start here and I want to continue this.
Santawraith

Carpe Noctem's How to index

Evening everyone.
I'm unsatisfied with the way I currently paint my ethereal things and I want to make them better. They just look like slightly blue statues at the moment.
Does anyone have some spirit hosts or banshees etc. that they have pictures of and remember how they painted them? Or just general advice?
Thanks very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
RE: Painting your ghosts

Spirit hosts
Base coat black
Heavy dry brush shadow grey or the fang
Meduim dry brush fortress grey or Administratum grey
Wash badab black or nuln oil
Light dusting skull white / white scar or fortress grey

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_021412spirithost.jpg

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_021912spirithost1.jpg

MoridinUK

Skeleton
Feb 11, 2012

Santawraith said:
Spirit hosts
Base coat black
Light dusting skull white / white scar or fortress grey

I'm stuck in the middle of a glowing-blue/green-eldrichfire-type etheral or the shadowy-grey-dark-haunting ghost. I must say though, the mortis engine/coventhrone would both look dark, brooding and full of foreboding this way, but also the army suddenly gets very very dark. The dry brushing makes it easier too! I really can't make my mind up what I want to do either. Dark is cool, from a fluff point of view, but white ghostly things are also cool... must go play with some hosts I guess!

MoridinUK

Skeleton
Feb 11, 2012

Santawraith said:
ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_66dfe75f.jpg

My throne ghosts

Seriously awesome.. Think I'll try it out on some spirit hosts but I fear mine will just end up looking like statues! :D

Shadow14_8

Ghoul
Aug 24, 2009

Seriously liking those ghosts Santa. Completely different from the norm which is awesome.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

It's part of my contest entry and I have always veiwed ghosts as shades.

Much like described in the greek myth's shadow people. dark mass, so mine have developed into what you see above. Not all models look as good in it as the coven throne. But I felt since the coven throne is what your looking at then might as well see what I did.

PLease remember that last drybrush is very very light just catching the edges to highlight it.

Statues funny my statues formula is not much diffrent actaully.

desfer

Necromancer
Jun 13, 2010
Attiki, Atthens

I know it has been written many times, but one of the best tutorials for painting ethereals can be found in the latest invocation issue in the P&M articles section. Credits go to SethDrallitoc for making it.

enjoy ;)

https://www.vampirecounts.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=34

woodster17

Skeleton
May 21, 2012
Milton Keynes, UK

Will jump in to this thread. Been struggling to think what scheme to use for the Hexwraiths I picked up the other day. Was thinking maybe Sotek Green (former Hawk Turquoise) with Biel-Tan Green and possibly a green highlight. Might be more sensible to was a darker blue thought but not sure.

Second question, finished a Cairn Wraith today, am quite happy with the outcome. Spent ages washing and stippling the scythe to get a rusted spooky look while washing and highlighting the robes to get a ghostly ethereal thing going on as I try to maintain the dark nature of a wraith (always have the grim reaper in mind). However, after finishing the level of wash has made it look to shiny for my liking. Any recommendations to remedy this? Some sort of varnish over the whole model perhaps?

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

Matt varnish will take the shin off.

Now if your meaning the blue green style like is on the cover of the box

It is a white dwarf article on how to do it. Also I did my own tutorial that is basically the same.

:scared::ghost:

I’ll be following the tutorial in WD384 on painting the Mortis engine/ coven throne.

So: the basecoat of astronomican grey.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_20120317_112328.fde1a0662a73008d48257a1ad3c55d4f.jpg
And now the wash of hawk turquoise and blue thinned with water.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_20120317_114018.1c922760322117c9bde4cb789135aa6f.jpg
Drybrush of astronomican grey.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_20120317_132405.63a2b8fe8deea7b576ffb1c6e06804aa.jpg
Drybrush of 50/50 astronomican grey and skull white. This is fun and pretty easy.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_20120317_153242.6688a0077673fe08a378d1e0386b2651.jpg
Drybrushed skull white. Washed the recesses with the turquoise/blue mix from before.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_20120317_194138.ed7dcce8f59cfc09cb9e3f6b4c821ae7.jpg
A splash of green in the deeper recesses, some white lining. Decided to go with more substantial weapons.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_20120317_213701.5b4b12a0e84d0ea6deeb3293c5726545.jpg
The weapons are finished. Now to paint the base.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_20120318_004518.b39525ba34edce4d46aeca7c5d2a11ac.jpg
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_20120318_004536.e7c5f9d628fd0d30b3ba9d99322d8457.jpg
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_20120318_004551.421980cdbeeb2fa857a0ec22329f95e8.jpg

woodster17

Skeleton
May 21, 2012
Milton Keynes, UK

Outstanding. Great advice cheers. I tend to be wary of following GW schemes but really like that ethereal look. Brilliant painting, will be using this for the Hexwraiths xD

Edit: Since i'm new and you're a mod, how do these 'zombies' work? Find the layout and concepts with this forum excellent.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

Ya can use zombies to buy things like the key for the chat room changing your user title and user name

you get zombies for posting btw. or donations.

I love the layout myself

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Our ethereal effect is inspired by shadow people.

Start with a basecoat of black. We don’t have a picture but it’s pretty self explanatory. Lol

Next is followed by a heavy drybrush of shadow grey, also known as the fang.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_20120422_175343.jpg

After that dries, a medium drybrush of fortress grey, now called administratum grey.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_20120422_175728.jpg

Next step is to wash it badab black, now known as nuln oil.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_20120422_175902.jpg

After the wash is dry, dust (verylightly drybrush) with skull white, now called white scar. Another good one to dust with is the dry praxil white.

avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_20120422_180243.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the bases.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_20120422_180433.jpg

ftayl5

Skeleton
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks for stealing my thread santa :thumbsup:
I like the look of the throne ghosts, so hawk turquoise is the secret, I hope I still have some.

Reaper

Wight King
Aug 30, 2011
Something similar to the 6th edition ethereal effect, but a bit different

Black undercoat(if you have dark blue primer, you can use that instead this and next point)

Mix of Chaos black and Enchanted blue(feel free to experiment, it should be very dark)

Highlight the model adding more Enchanted blue to the mix(The contrast should be quite strong)

Drybrush with skull white

Finished result:
afc05.deviantart.net_fs70_f_2012_142_3_4_banshee_by_wh_reaper_d50ocqw.jpg

Strig

Ghoul
May 1, 2010
Philly
@ Santawraith

I love the throne ghosts! I have been putting off painting the thing because I wanted to do something with the ghosts.

Was the formula you did on the bases how you painted the Throne Ghosts? Would love to know.

Fantastic paint job on everything on the thread by the way, just awesome!

I am a very poor painter and just looking at these awesome mini's makes me wanna paint more and more, Hah!

- Strig

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Sorry I have to ask this but which throne ghosts I did two of them.

I paint the actually base scorched brown

If it is the darker one then its this forumla
Base coat black
Light dusting skull white / white scar or fortress grey or praxil white

Strig

Ghoul
May 1, 2010
Philly
Whoops, my apologies! I meant the darker one, thats such a simple yet concise use of those colors. Thank you for sharing!

Love the wraith models left solid black to, almost like the jailors of the spirits forced to carry the throne, very awesome!

- Strig

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
I just couldn't see the wraiths being the same color as the rest. thanks for enjoying it the full finished throne is in my plog right now if you don't mind nudity that is. last few pages of the plog in my signiture.

woodster17

Skeleton
May 21, 2012
Milton Keynes, UK
Been thinking about the colour scheme on the GW Hexwraith's for my models. The idea of very dark blue robes with a lighter blue/greenish tinge at the base of the robes/horse robes looks excellent to me. Thinking of dark blue:black mix 50:50 with some Drakenhof Nightshade was and then Hawk Turquoise highlights, followed by Ice Blue and a lighter grey with some green wash over those parts. Anyone used this scheme?

Issue that I can't overcome, how do you blend lighter shades in to darker shades without leaving a definitive line? Kind of bugging me. Is it all about the wash? Want a gradual change from blue to ghostly green/grey but don't want to make it too abrupt. Any help would be great. Will post a plog as I go along with VC (just finished my first Cairn Wraith) so can keep track of my progress.

MoridinUK

Skeleton
Feb 11, 2012
woodster17 said:
Been thinking about the colour scheme on the GW Hexwraith's for my models. The idea of very dark blue robes with a lighter blue/greenish tinge at the base of the robes/horse robes looks excellent to me. Thinking of dark blue:black mix 50:50 with some Drakenhof Nightshade was and then Hawk Turquoise highlights, followed by Ice Blue and a lighter grey with some green wash over those parts. Anyone used this scheme?

Issue that I can't overcome, how do you blend lighter shades in to darker shades without leaving a definitive line? Kind of bugging me. Is it all about the wash? Want a gradual change from blue to ghostly green/grey but don't want to make it too abrupt. Any help would be great. Will post a plog as I go along with VC (just finished my first Cairn Wraith) so can keep track of my progress.

I'm no expert in fact I'm an almost total noob! But I think the guide on using glazes could help you with this. Working with Glaze Medium But it looks like a very time consuming process!

woodster17

Skeleton
May 21, 2012
Milton Keynes, UK
That was certainly an interesting tutorial. If Vallejo do a glaze that's similar in colour to any light blue from the citadel paints then it would get the look i'm going for over a basecoat. Cheers Moridin, will take a look.

MoridinUK

Skeleton
Feb 11, 2012
woodster17 said:
That was certainly an interesting tutorial. If Vallejo do a glaze that's similar in colour to any light blue from the citadel paints then it would get the look i'm going for over a basecoat. Cheers Moridin, will take a look.

I think you could use any colour and make the glaze using the medium. 1 part colour to twelve parts glaze. May make a bit much if you are playing with a single model but I thought that was the idea.

In the tutorial he starts with a glaze that is mostly the base coat and moves up, doing several layers until the last glaze is just the highlight colour.

Then he made up a 1:12 wash of the base colour and washed the model to smooth out any banding...

A bit paint by numbers but a similar thing should work!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu