• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hey guys,

I’m playing a rather tough opponent tomorrow and I’m looking for some advice. This guy is good and he’s even so confident that he’s going to win that he’s letting me see his list a night before. I have yet to beat this guy for the past three times I’ve played with him, suffering two losses and a draw to him.
How would you beat him with a WOC list of 2250? I’ve tried my lists but have thrown them out. I’m just looking for a bit of guidance.
Thanks!

2250 Pts - High Elves Roster
Archmage (Level 4 Upgrade; Hand Weapon)
1 Feedback Scroll

Prince (General; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon)
1 Bow of the Seafarer
1 Armour of Caledor

Noble (Battle Standard Bearer) ( Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Longbow; Dragon Armour; Battle Standard Bearer)
1 Razor Standard

49 Lothern Sea Guard, (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Bow; Spear; Light Armour; Shield)
1 Sea Master (Hand Weapon; Bow; Spear; Light Armour; Shield)
1 Banner of Eternal Flame

16 Sword Masters of Hoeth, (Always Strikes Last; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Bladelord (Always Strikes Last; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Wailing Banner

1 Lion Chariot of Chrace, (Swift Stride; Chariot)
2 Crew (Always Strikes Last; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon)
2 War Lions (Causes Fear)

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower, (Repeater Bolt Thrower)
2 Crew (Hand Weapon; Light Armour)

Total Roster Cost: 2236

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
i would say,
dodge the 49 lortearn seaguard,
outcharge the lion chariots and most off all, try and assassinate the lvl4 mage turn 2 or so.

this way he has no kind of magic left, making that scary part no threat anymore.

what i would use.
lvl4 mage (offcourse)
1 hellcannon
a boatload of hounds to keep his big unit buzy. (4*5 hounds or something)

alos, try looking for spells that hurt big blocks of troops, like curse of years or something.

maybe go slaanesh, the 6th spell is good as wel is the "i make you move my way"-spell....

thats all i got.. hope it helped.
when you played, please let me know what happened :)

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
I’m a bit frustrated at the moment with my beloved Warriors of Chaos. I just can’t seem to win with them. I primarily play against a very good High Elf player. He’s always fun to play with and is incredibly helpful, but is very good. He has a tendency to tear through my Warriors like there is no tomorrow with his Elves. His shooting kills me.

His most recent list consisted of this:
2250 Pts - High Elves Roster
Archmage (Level 4 Upgrade; Hand Weapon)
1 Feedback Scroll

Prince (General; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon)
1 Bow of the Seafarer
1 Armour of Caledor

Noble (Battle Standard Bearer) ( Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Longbow; Dragon Armour; Battle Standard Bearer)
1 Razor Standard

49 Lothern Sea Guard, (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Bow; Spear; Light Armour; Shield)
1 Sea Master (Hand Weapon; Bow; Spear; Light Armour; Shield)
1 Banner of Eternal Flame

16 Sword Masters of Hoeth, (Always Strikes Last; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Bladelord (Always Strikes Last; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Wailing Banner

I went with this list:
2250 Pts - Warriors of Chaos Roster

1 Wulfrik the Wanderer, (General; Hand Weapon; Shield)

1 Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch, (Mark of Tzeentch; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon)
1 Disc of Tzeentch (Flaming Attacks; Causes Fear; Flyer)
1 Armour of Morrslieb
1 Third Eye of Tzeentch

17 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch, (Mark of Tzeentch; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield)
1 Champion of Tzeentch (Mark of Tzeentch; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield)

17 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch, (Mark of Tzeentch; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield)

17 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch (Mark of Tzeentch; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield)

45 Chaos Marauders of Khorne, (Always Strikes Last; Mark of Khorne; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Frenzy) – Wulfrik will join this unit.

5 Marauder Horsemen, (Hand Weapon; Fast Cavalry)
5 Marauder Horsemen, (Hand Weapon; Fast Cavalry)

1 Hellcannon, (Causes Terror; Large Target; Unbreakable)
3 Crew (Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour)

1 Chaos Chariot,
1 Chaos Chariot,

Overall, his shooting tore me up. Now I know that as Chaos we can take the cannon and use that to our advantage, but playing against him, I always have to deal with his superior shooting and his magic always takes me out. Perhaps it’s just because I’m playing him all the time and that he has a tendency to sit back and just wait for me, but I’m not sure. I’m getting tired of losing all the time, but I’m still having fun, I’d just like things to work out once in a while.

I’ve tried march blocking, being aggressive with magic and so forth. Should I work on augmenting my troops more? Go with knights?

Any ideas? I have over 5,000 points of Warriors of Chaos sitting here and I hate the idea of looking at going back to High Elves. I miss having a well-rounded army, but I love Chaos. I know that I’m a relatively “new” player, but something has to give. Any advice would be well appreciated.

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
So I did some looking around and then talked to some people after the game and found out a few things:

First of all, he stated that he was using the Razor Banner. Good and all, but he was using it for shooting when in reality it's only for close combat. This whittled down my warriors quite substantially.

Secondly, and this nearly wiped out a whole unit of warriors and a half, he was using Bow of the Seafarer as if it was a Repeater Bolt Thrower. Here he was taking four shots (he was counting the prince's four attacks as four big shots from his souped up bow, each as a penetrating RBT shot), each with the ability to pierce my ranks.

No wonder why I was getting so frustrated... I was not only facing a Deathstar but a Cheddar Deathstar! Now I know that my guys would have taken some heat on the way in, but he nearly cleared out twenty warriors by the second turn with that stupid Bow of the Seafarer.

Oh, and this may sound incredibly stupid, but can chariots completely spin a 360 and then charge? When I popped my marauders behind him, he claimed they could flip a 360 and then charge.

Jake

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
ghehe 360degrees charging is still straight forward! :P

O well, seems he 'misread' some stuff, i wonder if its on purpose. I had a friend one time who did this, but it was a mistake (the +d3 CR banner for dark elves, it stated it was only on charging turn, he did it every round)

If he intentionally did this, i would smack him acros the face with the BRB. That should teach him!

good to know you solved some problems though :)

Mesayah

Ghoul
Feb 13, 2011
Sunderland
Glad to see that some of the issues with his list have been worked over.

Now when shooting is your problem, hide behind something! No buildings on wheels? Mark of nurgle is your friend! Comes with free fly swarm making it harder to hit you in combat AND when shooting at!

Those 3's to hit become 4's and all of a sudden your opponent buys new dice to see if you cursed them... :tongue:

As for the chariots... unless I'm mistaken they charge like anything else, you see it you charge it... unless it has a rule like the doomwheel and other silly things (Pivot then roll some dice to see how far it goes, hit a unit = charge)

I would love to see a war shrine in there somewhere... High Elves don't ever seem to like it when warriors are at toughness 5... must be something to do with their poncy arms. ;)

Here's hoping Grandfather Nurgle will be of assistance! :)

Edit: { Oi shibidday I didn't think this forum was so dead, I've been absent for a while so it showed as a new thread to me... Time for a spank for me :( }

Lynks

Lord of RAW
True Blood
Dec 29, 2010
Sydney
Mesayah, you should note the time when the last post was made before posting to avoid threasurrection in the future, as you can see, this is rather old, 2 months since last activity to be a little more precise ;P

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu