• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Is 40k getting a rework too? tell me not!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/C/corbax.pdf

Just read a random thing saying that 40k might get the age of shitmar experience sometime soon.

Looking on FW i see this guy so look at the special rules....it mentions something called 'Age of darkness' Now please dear god dont tell me the rumour was true and that theyre gona dumb down 40 even more :/

I dont play apocalypse or any of the fancy stuff like planetstrike etc, we play standard games, so im hoping you guys can tell me its already something in one of these games and not the beginning of the end.

Thanks

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
From what we know for certain:
-Plastic 30K, sprue pics already leaked
-This will be a seperate game next to 40K in 'AoS' style(skirmish probably not an exact copy) as a gateway product.
-40K Codexii will go the way of the dodo-bird. Rules will be packaged with the boxes

A strange mix of all these rumors have unleashed a '40K will be AoS-ed' storm of fearmongering. Just closely read the rumors on Whineseer by Harry and Hastings. They've been right about everything so far and keep desperately trying to stop people from yelling stuff like this.

Age of Darkness is a term Forge World keeps referring to in their books and it's commonly thought to be the new gateway 30K.
If they'd kill or greatly change 40K GW will die and the planet would explode due to the accumulated nerdrage.

From what we know for certain:
-Plastic 30K, sprue pics already leaked
-This will be a seperate game next to 40K in 'AoS' style(skirmish probably not an exact copy) as a gateway product.
-40K Codexii will go the way of the dodo-bird. Rules will be packaged with the boxes

A strange mix of all these rumors have unleashed a '40K will be AoS-ed' storm of fearmongering. Just closely read the rumors on Whineseer by Harry and Hastings. They've been right about everything so far and keep desperately trying to stop people from yelling stuff like this.

Age of Darkness is a term Forge World keeps referring to in their books and it's commonly thought to be the new gateway 30K.
If they'd kill or greatly change 40K GW will die and the planet would explode due to the accumulated nerdrage.
Thank you for clearing it up, i really do pray they dont turn it into the same style of game.

I mean yea they want money but why not have it as a separate game system, theyll still sell the models that can be used in both games anyway both fantasy and AoS. I just hate the fact theyve made it into a game it literally make money attracting kids but having no thought for the long term fantasy players. I moved onto fantasy many a year ago because of the strategic aspect of it all. Not saying 40k doesnt have its moments but its a far cry from fantasy in terms of mechanics i think.

Iv already converted my ogres into 40k orks :( just hope theyre not making me regret even bothering with that aswell.

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I certainly hope not! It's still unclear but for the foreseeable future it will not happen as they are too busy with AoS and gateway 30K. Also, 40K is about 70% of their revenue.
GW has been out of their minds lately though. Really cannot grasp what the hell they are thinking.

I'm happily playing 30K and though it costs me a kidney the rules are so worth it. I'm a bit afraid of the future of FW myself...

I certainly hope not! It's still unclear but for the foreseeable future it will not happen as they are too busy with AoS and gateway 30K. Also, 40K is about 70% of their revenue.
GW has been out of their minds lately though. Really cannot grasp what the hell they are thinking.

I'm happily playing 30K and though it costs me a kidney the rules are so worth it. I'm a bit afraid of the future of FW myself...
Yea i agree, im thinking 40k is most of the money they pull it so it would be incredibly daring to throw 40k out the window aswell.

The problem is with rumours ever more present i find myself not wanting to invest a penny more into gw, but then it kinda limits my armies i have atm, id rather i never heard the rumour tbh. Ignorence is bliss as they say

Quinten

Grave Guard
If Age of Sigmar turns into a huge success then you never know what might happen. Companies are legally obliged to make as much money as possible for their shareholders.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
One thing I will throw out there. An Age of Sigmar like system for 40k wouldn't necessarily hurt it. If you were too strip away the cumbersome parts of 40k now, you would have a system very similar to Age of Sigmar. The main issue I see is summoning greater daemons and loss of points to balance games. You might need something that works similar to armor penetration for vehicles, but everything else would likely function the same but more streamlined. Vehicles could have damage tables that cause their functions to weaken like monsters do. All the key wargear options for characters and units could easily be baked into their rosters (which is how most of the army books are now).

If 40k keeps objectives like they have, it could even work better for balancing non-balanced armies.

My guess is that AoS is a test run to see a) what sort of market loss/gain fantasy suffers from such a radical change and b) if they can get a live testing of a future system for 40k. Thus, keep what works and change what doesn't.

I know I've been saying try AoS, but all Age of "Shitmar" type feelings aside. Play a couple small games of it and then imagine that engine being used in 40k. I think it could make 40k really smooth playing if they tweak it right.

Quinten

Grave Guard
It isn't like 40k's point values really mean much now. The game's balance is far worse than WFB ever was and that's saying something. A lot of the streamlining that would take place is moving all the universal special rules to the armybooks. I feel this wouldn't be the best solution as the armybooks are already over-cluttered. Do I think that 40k could be streamlined a bit. Yes. Do I think that it should be cut down to what Age of Sigmar is. No.

*Edit*
I used Armybooks should have put codexes sorry.:redface:

One thing I will throw out there. An Age of Sigmar like system for 40k wouldn't necessarily hurt it. If you were too strip away the cumbersome parts of 40k now, you would have a system very similar to Age of Sigmar. The main issue I see is summoning greater daemons and loss of points to balance games. You might need something that works similar to armor penetration for vehicles, but everything else would likely function the same but more streamlined. Vehicles could have damage tables that cause their functions to weaken like monsters do. All the key wargear options for characters and units could easily be baked into their rosters (which is how most of the army books are now).

If 40k keeps objectives like they have, it could even work better for balancing non-balanced armies.

My guess is that AoS is a test run to see a) what sort of market loss/gain fantasy suffers from such a radical change and b) if they can get a live testing of a future system for 40k. Thus, keep what works and change what doesn't.

I know I've been saying try AoS, but all Age of "Shitmar" type feelings aside. Play a couple small games of it and then imagine that engine being used in 40k. I think it could make 40k really smooth playing if they tweak it right.
I see your point, from the rules iv heard it certainly seems more along the lines of 40k as it is now with standard things like bs to hit rolls how they dont change for example. But its mostly that the difference to fantasy was so substantial i just couldnt bare it as a new game system, the ridiculous chilidish rules like re rolls for having a drink in your hand, or for no laughing and all that spaff.

As long as they dont change too much in 40k i wouldnt be so totally miffed off i guess, its more a beer n pretzel game to me as it is anyway we dont play hardcore tourney stuff.

But i really dont like it if they were to do away with item/wargear customizations as i find thats a huge part of the tactics involved to it and making characters how you feel you want them to be, i dont want all the characters to have the exact same stuff thats boring as hell.

I guess its a wait and see what happens kinda thing

It isn't like 40k's point values really mean much now. The game's balance is far worse than WFB ever was and that's saying something. A lot of the streamlining that would take place is moving all the universal special rules to the armybooks. I feel this wouldn't be the best solution as the armybooks are already over-cluttered. Do I think that 40k could be streamlined a bit. Yes. Do I think that it should be cut down to what Age of Sigmar is. No.

*Edit*
I used Armybooks should have put codexes sorry.:redface:
i second this motion :tongue: