• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

I've got 99 Problems and Chaos is all of them...

Fair tidings, monarchs of the dead.

I King Geiseric, have been struggling against a friendly opponent and longtime friend named Andrew the Henderson.

Andrew is a ruthless and mighty opponent and he has been making cunning use of Skullcrushers of Khorne and absolutely devastating use of the Purple Sun through his wizard. This has resulted in multiple defeats. Also, he happens to possess about a 40 something strong band of Chaos Warriors, a formidable anvil to be sure.

My issue however most often however has been his canny instincts and tactical acumen which has been, sadly, greater than mine. In particular because his style of combat is so cut and dry in terms of speed vs efficiency. One recent example is my launching an attack on his flank (3 army game) with my 60 skeletons and 20 ghouls supported by 2 of my 3 necromancers. He arranged his Warriors in a 7 rank wide formation 3 lines deep with the sorcerer hiding just behind them. He correctly estimated my charge distance and the cumbersome nature of such a huge block and he threw every dice he had into casting the dreaded Purple Sun. He killed the Master Necromancer in the block and his fellow hiding in the niche between them and the ghouls. The rest of my army was quickly ripped to pieces through Unstable and the following ill fated combat.

My enemy is canny and bearded. This cannot stand, I must overcome him.

And so I ask thee monarchs to impart on me whatever wisdom you would be kind enough to pass along. At my current disposal I possess:

20 Ghouls
60 Skeletons
30 Graveguard
10 Hexwraiths (which have earned his respect)
6 Crypt Horrors
3 Necromancers
6 Spirit Hosts
1 Wight King (me)
1 Vampire Lord

First Among the Dead of Winterburg

-King Geiseric

Last edited:

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
The best bet against WoC is multiple single Spirit Host bases and a couple Terrorgheists. Also, bump those ghouls up to at least 40. Getting a big unit of Ghouls and a big unit of Horrors into infantry is bad news for them if you can be sure to have Danse cast on them. Rerolls To Hit is tasty when you're looking for 6's for Poisoned Attacks anyway. Not the best tool against high armor, but that combo has served me well.

It means making some purchases, but that's how I deal with WoC. good luck!

The best bet against WoC is multiple single Spirit Host bases and a couple Terrorgheists. Also, bump those ghouls up to at least 40. Getting a big unit of Ghouls and a big unit of Horrors into infantry is bad news for them if you can be sure to have Danse cast on them. Rerolls To Hit is tasty when you're looking for 6's for Poisoned Attacks anyway. Not the best tool against high armor, but that combo has served me well.

It means making some purchases, but that's how I deal with WoC. good luck!
Ghouls? I will look into this. I ask thee, Poisoned +6 means that an automatic wound is dealt upon a six being rolled yes?

What is your opinion on fodder such as zombies or skeletons against Chaos? Are they worth bringing?

Also, how best to deal with the likes of Skullcrushers? The poison is still effective against a 1+ armor save?

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Yep, that's how Poison works. Works a treat on high Toughness low Armor enemies like monsters.

Chaos is gunna chew through Zombos super fast, so if you use them bring a ton and have plenty of Invocation lying around.

Tbats make Crushers cry. You can scream a whole unit off in one Turn with a single Terrorgheist. Bring two in case your opponent has Skullcannons.

Hail to you, King Geiseric!
I am a modest necromancer who have encountered fell Warriors of Chaos numerous times. I feel your pain! Maybe my expirience will help you.
Fist of all - listen to Adam the Sleepless Knight, for his words are full of wisdom. Indeed, Terrorgheist's shrieks are the most effective way to kill Skullcrushers. Units of single Spirit Hosts, as Adam suggested, are great at tarpiting/roadblocking mortals with no magic weapons.
Speaking of skeletons, I used a unit of 40 with spears against unit of twelve Chaos Warriors in several battles, and each time skeletons crumble before the heavy blows of halberds. The only way to even the odds is to enchant your bone warriors with BOTH Vanhel's Dance Macabre and Hellish Vigour. However, it is not an easy task if enemy army icludes a level 4 wizard. Zombies, I suppose, gone down even fater.
Speaking of magic, try to use the dreaded Cursed book - it served me well so far. The curse is random, but usually nasty for your opponent. I have seen cursed Chaos Warriors with their strength redused to the level where a Snotling could overpower them! Needless to say, they were not able to even scratch my minions until the curse was lifted.
Your can also try to use Lore of Death, wich any necromancer can learn. It wil possibly allow you to cast your own Purple Sun! And Doom and Darkness can significantly improve the effectiveness of Terrorgheist's shrieks.
If you fail to find a monstrous bat corpse to reanimate, try to add a Banshee or two to your undead infantry. Their shrieks are weaker, but they may help you anyway.
By the way, Vampires sometimes have a Bloodline power that reduce leadership and willpower of nearby enemies, which also makes shrieks more deadly.
You can also add Cairn Wraith heroes to your units, so they can reap Chaos Warriors with their Scythes even if the unit itself deals little damage to your foe.
You can also try to use a combination of a Grave Guards with two-handed weapons, Bat Swarms and a Corpse cart (which can allow your Grave Guard to srike first nearly any enemy), but the combination is tricky to pull out.
I hope this will be helpful and wish you numerous victories over the foolish servants of the Dark Gods.

Yep, that's how Poison works. Works a treat on high Toughness low Armor enemies like monsters.

Chaos is gunna chew through Zombos super fast, so if you use them bring a ton and have plenty of Invocation lying around.

Tbats make Crushers cry. You can scream a whole unit off in one Turn with a single Terrorgheist. Bring two in case your opponent has Skullcannons.
I thank you kindly Sleepless Knight. I shall go to my local grave-sites and see if I cannot dig up a Terrorgheist and lure a pack of ghouls back home to my castle. Your sagacious advice is well appreciated.

Hail to you, King Geiseric!
I am a modest necromancer who have encountered fell Warriors of Chaos numerous times. I feel your pain! Maybe my expirience will help you.
Fist of all - listen to Adam the Sleepless Knight, for his words are full of wisdom. Indeed, Terrorgheist's shrieks are the most effective way to kill Skullcrushers. Units of single Spirit Hosts, as Adam suggested, are great at tarpiting/roadblocking mortals with no magic weapons.
Speaking of skeletons, I used a unit of 40 with spears against unit of twelve Chaos Warriors in several battles, and each time skeletons crumble before the heavy blows of halberds. The only way to even the odds is to enchant your bone warriors with BOTH Vanhel's Dance Macabre and Hellish Vigour. However, it is not an easy task if enemy army icludes a level 4 wizard. Zombies, I suppose, gone down even fater.
Speaking of magic, try to use the dreaded Cursed book - it served me well so far. The curse is random, but usually nasty for your opponent. I have seen cursed Chaos Warriors with their strength redused to the level where a Snotling could overpower them! Needless to say, they were not able to even scratch my minions until the curse was lifted.
Your can also try to use Lore of Death, wich any necromancer can learn. It wil possibly allow you to cast your own Purple Sun! And Doom and Darkness can significantly improve the effectiveness of Terrorgheist's shrieks.
If you fail to find a monstrous bat corpse to reanimate, try to add a Banshee or two to your undead infantry. Their shrieks are weaker, but they may help you anyway.
By the way, Vampires sometimes have a Bloodline power that reduce leadership and willpower of nearby enemies, which also makes shrieks more deadly.
You can also add Cairn Wraith heroes to your units, so they can reap Chaos Warriors with their Scythes even if the unit itself deals little damage to your foe.
You can also try to use a combination of a Grave Guards with two-handed weapons, Bat Swarms and a Corpse cart (which can allow your Grave Guard to srike first nearly any enemy), but the combination is tricky to pull out.
I hope this will be helpful and wish you numerous victories over the foolish servants of the Dark Gods.
A modest necromancer indeed! Your advice is sound as are your own battlefield recollections. Ethereal and shrieking monsters seem to be the theme in your and Sleepless Knight's advice. This is certainly something to look into, I shall go acquire a Terrorgheist in one of my local grave-sites this very week. I shall take to heart your good advice and report on it this Sunday after the battle. Speaking of which I believe I shall start another forum discussion on my other usual opponent: The High Elves.

The way I go about beating chaos is to deny points. If you run a bus of black knights with double terrorgheists you will be able to absolutely melt one of his flanks, where his units cost far more than the units you will be leaving behind. Wolves, spirit hosts and zombie blocks are great for tying up units for multiple turns, which let you run around with your lord claiming points. If you want even more staying power consider throwing a couple of cairn wraiths into units of large units of ghouls. Equally, you can run the double mortis engine list (credit to the Sun King for that one I think). Two mortis engines coupled with GG and CH create two beefy anvil/hammer units. Throw a unit of zombies behind the mortis engines with 2-3 lvl one necromancers and you can dominate your magic phase. Finally, raise dead is the absolute worst thing you can do to a chaos player. Every turn that you throw zombies in front of their warrior block/bloodcrushers is a turn that they aren't getting any victory points.
TL;DR chaff them up and go for the units you know you can kill.:thumbsup:

I totally agree with the points denial. I would a suggest a Level 4 caster to help dispel purple sun and big blocks of zombies to tie up his skullcrushers. Here is a list that won't guarantee victory but has defeated Chaos before. Put the Wight King in the Grave Guard Block. Put the Skeleton Bunker behind the Grave Guard with your Lord and wizards. Have the bunker flanked by the corpse cart and the Mortis Engine. Have the zombies flank the whole thing. If you don't want to use this list, I hope it will give you ideas and help you in the future.

Lords 534
Heroes 370
Core 625
Special 728
Rare 240
Total 2497

Vampire Lord 220
Level 4 Vampires 105
Heavy Armor 6
Shield 3
Master of the Black Arts 75
Dark Acolyte 25