• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Killing Blow

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Paksos said:
Bishop said:
Yes, you could use a Lance on a chariot...since you count as "mounted" (ie.spears are +1 str, as are GWs)
Personally I would disagree but then as a medieval history graduate I'm unable to shake the thought that you need stirrups to counterweight you on the charge as a lance essentially just turns therider into a highly specific battering ram. On a chariot, although he's mounted, the rider has nothing to push back against - as he would have on horseback with stirrups - and, on impact, he'd be thrown off the back of the chariot and undoubtedly do himself a mischief... :|
Well, I agree with you... it's really odd, and would probably result in many broken bones (by the wielder). Knights using Lances sometimes would get thrown off by the impact...

But, under the current rules set it's allowed (however weird it may seem)... this is a rules discussion thread after all :D

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Allowed indeed, but very rare. The "lance" you're most likely to see is the Stegadon Warspear, which sounds more like a spear really ;)

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
Actually, I was thinking about giving a hero (not VC) a lance and putting him on a chariot.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Then there's really nothing stopping you from doing it Harland - realistic or not, Lances do apparently work that way in the fantastical world of Warhammer. :)

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
xD
I was also wondering... Am I right in saying Monster and Handlers count as skirmishers in every way?

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
A monster and its handlers will normally move like skirmishers would. Check page 67 of the Warhammer Rule Book for the rules about this in their entirety~

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Harland said:
xD
I was also wondering... Am I right in saying Monster and Handlers count as skirmishers in every way?
No not entirely, I believe you use the monsters arc for vision/ charging pupposes and flank etc...There might be some others so i'd give the BRB a read.

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
I checked... And here's the really evil bit...
It doesn't say anywhere about characters not being able to join a M&H unit.
And Hellcannon's count as M&H... :devil2:...

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Hellcannons are also unbreakable, so you aint joining that with any characters any time soon ;)

Although I think you'd just follow the usual monster rules which say they can't be joined to other units...

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
It does say that it is only unbreakable while the hellcannon is still alive, so technically the chaos dwarves themselves aren't actually unbreakable... So if I join them and use my awzum skeels aht langwidges, I should be able to convince my oponent.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
I think it's probably okay to join a character to the handlers, yeah. It can only be a US1 geezer on foot mind you, but if you want, do it. Not like there's any other way of getting skirmishers in a WoC list :D

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
His main point is to keep the Hellcannon firing. My friend has so far only thought of to ways to kill the Hellcannon:
  1. To kill all the crew (having a hero there will make it MUCH more difficult!)
  2. To use Pit of Shades on its I1 (and that is where the gift/item which gives MR (2) comes into play!)

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Well, you wouldn't be able to join the character to the unit while the Hellcannon is alive... as together they're unbreakable, as noted. You don't need the handlers (they aint crew) for it to keep firing, but make sure the general is nearby to reduce the chances of it rampaging if the crew do die. At least with Pit of Shades even if the spell works it only has a 50% chance of hitting the Hellcannon seeing as its base size is so much bigger than the template :)

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
It doesn't technically have a base... So it would ALWAYS hit on a 4+!
And as noted before I has awzum skeels aht langwidges!

Harland said:
It doesn't technically have a base... So it would ALWAYS hit on a 4+!
And as noted before I has awzum skeels aht langwidges!
But I suspect common sense (and the spirit of the game) would suggest that if the Hell Cannon were wholly covered by the template then it's an auto... ;)

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
I doubt it would be totally covered by a 3" circle... Although that's only speculation as I've never actually seen the model...

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
If someone converted up a teeny-tiny Hellcannon and didn't give it a base (E.g. they took an old cannon and put a Daemon head on it) then sure if it covered the whole model that'd get it... but with Hellcannons, the bigger and gnarlier the better, grrrr!!!

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
That reminds me.
I was going to put it in 'Dying to help...', but I may as well put it here.
Now although I think the GW Hellcannon is great, I just can't see myself forking over £30 for it.
Do you have any ideas for a 'big, gnarly' conversion?

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
I myself used a massive cannon from an old game "crossbows and catapults", chaos-ified, of course! A friend has made his out of Tyranid parts, think it might be a Carnifex, with a non-organic cannon added to the back. The Tyranid artillery is also quite popular, if small.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
*Looks at thread title and first post*

Ok, waaaaaaay off topic now. If you want to discuss something different to Killing Blow then start another thread please.

:siren:Back on topic:siren:

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
Whoa. How did that happen?

So...
um...
Yeah. Killing Blow should affect things with a unit strength of 3+.

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
Oh yeah!
I don't like the bit about 2D6 power dice - it just makes magic (which VC often are heavily reliant on) too unpredictable.