• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Kitbash Idea - Advice on Parts used

So I am thinking about making the proto-death god for my dudes underworld in Shysh using a few different pieces, acting as a count as for a Mortarch. The parts I am thinking of using, sourced from ebay, bits sellers etc are as follows;

- Alarielle the Everqueen As the body (no beetle)

- A beastman skull for a head like one of the ones here

- With either Morghast or Vargheist wings

- While standing on one of the mausoleum buildings

- Some spirit hosts for flavor/ take up base space

She would be painted like a vampire, silver and black for metal and clothing with an ethereal look over her bark arm and the tree bits coming off her while standing on top of the mausoleum. The idea is to look a bit like the norse pagen gods as displayed in popular media, like in the film The Ritual or like Hirricane in TeS to act as a God of the Hunt in my dudes underworld.

How do you think this works as an idea appearance wise and if on the apporpiate base size would you be fine playing against this on the table? I am currently in the planning stage and it takes time to source the right bits, so I am wondering what peoples thoughts on this are.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
It's an interesting conversion. It will certainly need something like the Morghast wings, spirits etc as otherwise, I don't think it will look deathly enough. But with all those bits, plus a suitable paint job should look good.

As for playing it, as long as it is the same base size as the Mortarch (which one are you thinking), and you ask permission, I'd be surprised if people have issues

Aye, need to achieve the look of a deathly pale hunter surrounded by her minions and look different enough from the base model too, the head swap and ethereal paint job, along with either skeletal or bat-like wings will do the job nicely.

As for base, I plan on using the 120x92mm oval base, the exact same as the model the rules I plan on using, whenever I do a conversion I try to match or be as close as possible.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Your idea really interested me - so I decided to try it out in photoshop to visualize it a bit better, in both wing variants:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.com%2Fa%2Fimg921%2F1608%2FoGAbVE.jpg&hash=329c9985e5c559c0e01f8ffacd38d225

I don't know are the sizes of those parts, so take it with a grain of salt - but you can see the rough idea here.

After seeing it, I think this idea is really, really awesome! It is very promising and will be certainly plenty impressive! Out of those both versions I definitely like the Morghast-wings better, as they bind the character together with the spirit hosts much better. I am now wondering, do you really have to take Alarielle? Her body, in particular, doesn't seem to be that important here - you can probably take another woman and change her hand for a dryad hand - that would seem both easier and cheaper to get. But if you can get her from somewhere, then disregard my comment, that body would fit quite well. Well, maybe a bit weird when a pagan-god-inspired goat-skull-headed death-monstrosity sports such killer thighs! But just a bit ;)

As for fielding it on the battlefield as a mortarch - as DoN said, I think that as long as the general height and the base size is similar, to avoid the accusation of 'modelling for advantage', then there should be no problem. You would have to check how big that mausoleum really is, but it looks similar enough.

Ah cheers, seeing that really cements my desire to build this kit now. I agree on the Morghast wings, they are much better than the Vargheist wings and tie the whole theme together better, so like @Eternal Salvation I will have to scour ebay and hope I am as lucky as him (also cheers to you mate for helping give me this idea).

As for the height its about right, I have been told that Alarielle is about twice the height of the dark elf sorceress and I know the size of the mausoleum pieces as my local game store has the set for the Age of Sigmar table. Combining these and playing against the store owners mortarch, I can easily spitball the height and width. I did the same with my Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon conversion.

Hey, no problem, @Citrov! That's why we share here, no?
Your idea seems really solid! I think she's going to look great, though compared to the photo that @Borgnine put up, I suspect she is noticeably larger, and will have a different composition.
Another thing to consider is how the wings look from the back, but yes, I think the Morghast wings look much better.

If you do go the Varg-wing route, I think that you can tie the skin on each together to make it more cohesive, unlike B's mockup.

If you go the Morg-wing route, a nice bonus might be that the wings are weight bearing and you might be able to affix the to the roof. Then you could reposition the feet so they were hanging neutral, showing her to be floating.

Aye I do agree about the varghest wings can be used to match the skin tone while the morghast wings can be used with their weight bearing. The only difficulty will be sourcing them for a reasonable price, only one on ebay is $20 for the pair, something I imagine you are very familiar with.

Aye its just finding the right site, since I live in Australia it can make postage a fun experience.