• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Konrad Von Carstein's Sanity Rule

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I've read the description for Konrad Von Carstein's One Bat Short of a Belfry rule several times now, because I can't believe that it really means what it means. Is that really the rule? If so, I can't any way in which anyone would choose to have him talk back to you, especially during a critical point of the game. Am I missing something?

I've read the description for Konrad Von Carstein's One Bat Short of a Belfry rule several times now, because I can't believe that it really means what it means. Is that really the rule? If so, I can't any way in which anyone would choose to have him talk back to you, especially during a critical point of the game. Am I missing something?
This is one of the fun rules that are being slowly replaced. For example, Mannfred's Mortarch of the Night rule used to give him bonuses if there were no sun rays in the room where the game is going (i. e. playing in the basement, or at the evening). In the Grand Alliance, the ability was changed, now it gives the same bonuses if he successfuly casts a spell. I think that such fun rules will be gone completely soon, with some named heroes (who usually have such abilities) turning into generic heroes (like Kemmler and Krell), and in other cases the ability itself being changed.

There are several ways to play such abilities:

1) Actually do what it says
2) Roll a die, on a 4+ it works
3) Consider it working all the time

Discuss with your opponent which way he likes most, as always.

P.S. Back when AoS started, some people suggested inserting a sound device into the model base (like a small USB player possibly?), so you can actually push a button and force the model to say something.

Last edited:

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I have noticed that they are slowly removing these rules over time and that named characters are being phased out in a lot of cases. I think that this will resolve the problem, but in the meantime the dice roll seems like a sensible way to resolve the issue.