• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

God of War

Skeleton
Mar 14, 2011
hello guys!

next week I have a last tournament with the 'old' VC book before the new one gets out!

I'm going to take one thing I haven't tried out yet and that's the dethstar grave guard unit with the regen banner ( I know:redface: )

The unit will be flanked by 2 units of 30 ghouls and behind it a small bunker unit of 10. The tournament is 2000 pts.

The thing I'm doubting about is whether to take a combat, caster of hybrid lord. And which vampire thrall to side him. The sure thing I want to take is the staff of damnation, as I'm expecting a lot of daemon players and with the staff I can diminish their number before the actual combat.

So all-in-all, I'm stuck on the choice of the lord and the thrall and which function to give them.

-Do I take a full-combat lord, with the thrall behind it to give WS 6, or is that overkill for the unit. And what is a good set-up for the lord.

-Do I take 2 casters, giving the lord WS 10 and the helm, +2 dice and the forbidden lore, and the thrall in support with another lore (but which one?)

-Do I take a hybrid, with MoTB and red fury. But what as aquipment? Also, then the thrall should have dark acolyte (to let the lord choose vanhel's reliably) and the helm. In doing so, I would have to take a necro to take the staff...

A lot of brainstorming, I know ( and sorry for that!). I'm keeping in mind to face a bloodthirster!

Anyone have some good tips or tricks?

Greetz, and thx in advance!

Jan 12, 2010
Choices choices, choices, life is tough, you cannot have it all... and man, your struggle does sound familiar!

I think you have already set the main bulk of your army:
This is what you have on your whish list:

- Lord (Cster/ Combat / Hybrid)
- support vampire
x on the above characters a Helm (possibly in combination with fencer blades)
x on the above characters a Staff of Damnation
- Regenhoff BSB
- 2*30 gouls + ghast, 10 ghouls bunker
- GG deathstar
- anti Bloodthirster thingy

I assume the following: You want to equip your Lord in such way that he has a propper ward save? If the answer is yes, you need to include a Thrall or necro to carry the staff of Damnation. The only way to have a ward, staff and helm on your lord is when you go for the wristbands. But this ward save is only vs ranged attacks and is this what you want? The answer could be 'yes' as you combine all supporting strengths (helm staff, L4) in a single model in your bunker. You cannot (points-wise) combine the fencer blades, Staff and Helm on a single model.

1a) Caster Lord
If you combine these items on your Caster lord, together with Summon Ghouls, Acolyte, MoBA and +1 level, the lord summs up to 450 points. I don't really see the direct need for an additional thrall in a 2k battle when you take the above caster lord, unless you want to have a better shot at VDM. But you could also take a necro with periapt/scroll instead and he's cheaper. Don't get me wrong, in a caster list I like to have a thrall baby-sitting met GG death star, mainly for the vampire rule, but in smaller points battles, not everything will fit in... and your demands are tough, and points value is limited.

1b Caster lord)
If you do take a proper ward on your lord, this means moving the helm or staff to a thrall, or move the staff to a necromancer. If you move the staff to your thrall, you could combine it with Avatar of Death (sh) and dragon helm. This is a nice model to go along with your GG and still have a decent save (3+) and special save (4+ regen or 2+ vs flaming). If you decide to load you bunker with this thrall, you could get Forbidden Lore (light!) instead and not get the armour (avatar).

If you decide to go for a Hybrid Lord / Combat Lord, you need to have the staff (necro) and Helm (thrall) on two other heroes. Together with the BSB you have then spent 47% off your army on 4 characters... leaving room for the 3 units of ghouls (2*30+10) and the Deathstar, but nothing more/else... is this what you want?

The hybrid Lord would look like:
2a) Lord, +1lvl, SomGh (in order to increase bunker), Acolyte, Red Fury, Blood Drinker, Cuirass/Hauberk, Preservation/Crown of the damned

or alternatively, when you use the regen in the GG:
2b) Lord, +1lvl, Avatar of Death (sh), Acolyte, Red Fury, Blood Drinker, Dragon Helm, Staff (or Other trickster + Scroll if you already have a necromancer)

The combat lord would take the Hatred and +2/+3 attacks(as alternative for Blood Drinker) + potion of strength
3) Lord, +1lvl, Avatar of Death (sh), Hatred, Red Fury, Strife/Blooddrinker, Dragon Helm, potion of strength, Gem of Lahmia

Without answering the question on your lord we could do some quick math.

Caster list 1a:
Caster Lord - 450 p
Support thrall – 170 p
Regenhoff BSB –225p
30 ghouls + ghast – 248 p
10 ghouls + ghast – 88p
29 GG GW FC Barrows – 452p
not enought points to add a coach or terrorgeist (both are anti daemons), only 120ish left

Caster list 1b:
Lord - 450 p (staff, wristband and helm)
Scroll necro – 80 p
Regenhoff BSB –225p
10 ghouls + ghast – 88p
Enought points to add aeither a coach or terrorgeist

Hybrid list 2a:
Lord - 450 p
Support thrall – 170 p
Staff necro – 95 p
Regenhoff BSB –225p
10 ghouls + ghast – 88p
not enought points to add either a coach or terrorgeist (about 24ish)

Hybrid list 2a:
Lord - 450 p (with staff)
Support thrall – 165 p (helm + Forbidden lore)
Regenhoff BSB –225p
10 ghouls + ghast – 88p
not enought points to add either a coach or terrorgeist but enough points to increase bunker

I would go for the 'safe' 1b choise, as it fullfills your main criteria (no thrall but indeed the helm and staff included and you have a rare unit) being the following:

Lord (+1lvl, Sum Gh, Acolyte, MotBA, Preserv, Helm, scroll) - 450
1 Necro (VDM), Staff - 95
Regenhoff BSB –225p
29 ghouls + ghast – 240 p
10 ghouls + ghast – 88p
1 black Coach

Don't you think that starting with a bunker unit of only 10 ghouls, it might be too small vs daemons? Taking flamers and thirsters into account, he could keep that size on about 10 and threaten it with a thirster whn he flies over your battleline

God of War

Skeleton
Mar 14, 2011
Thx man, your reply is...awesome! I want to thank you for the time you took to consider and reply on my post. It's great to know that someone really engages himself on a forum like this! Again, thx!

I already sent my list to the officials, but I can always take another one:)

This is how it currently looks. I took a hybrid, with 2 characters in support and the regen banner:

1) L3 Lord with
-red fury
-MoTBA
-Sword of strife
-cadaverous cuirass
-dragonbane gem
-black periapt
-potion of toughness

He's meant to mince infantry, therefore I took the +2 attacks, as I felt that my tooled up magic phase could handle the lack of the blood drinker. Red fury to add to this and MoTBA to ensure that I get through what I want. Also, with the black periapt, I'll normally have PD left to get the staff through, which is pivotal to handle large big hitter blocks like bloodletters. Or a pr-emptive strike on characters! I took potion of toughness over strength, because there's enough str in the unit (6 on the GG) and when I feel that relying on the regen is a bit risky that turn, I can boost him to T8. This can effectively screw the bloodthirster by static CR and survive the enemies' turn in which I cannot raise back wounds.

2) Vampire thrall:

-L2 and summon ghouls
-helm of commandment
-dark acolyte

Giving the unit WS 6 is still great. dark acolyte is there to give the lord a good chance to have vanhel's and spam with his 2 extra dice.

3) Necro:

-Staff of damnation
-Vanhel's

4) 2 times 30 ghouls with ghast

5) 10 ghouls as bunker unit

6)32 GG with great weapons, full command and banner of the barrow accompagnied by the wight king BsB with regen banner.

What do you think of it? I think the set-up of the lord and heroes is perhaps a bit onorthodox, but I like to play a bit different:perv:

Greetz, Bjorn

God of War

Skeleton
Mar 14, 2011
Thx!

That"s always the trick with these sort of lists:)

But if they want the points of that unit, they 'll have to do something!

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
Why not go out with a bang and chuck your lord on top of a monster? :happy:

... that probably wasn't very tactical, but damn it looks cool. Send the old book out in style, no?

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
God of War said:
Too late to paint a terrorgheist or zombie dragon:(

Spray black. Drybrush grey on skin. Dybrush bones bleached bone. Spray devlan mud wash. Apply liberal amounts of blood to conceal any other features.

Done. xD You can always go over it after. :tongue:

Jan 12, 2010
Count Darvaleth said:
Why not go out with a bang and chuck your lord on top of a monster? :happy:

... that probably wasn't very tactical, but damn it looks cool. Send the old book out in style, no?

Lol, that was my plan, 'sort of'.
I'm gonna do that next week :-) lol

God of War

Skeleton
Mar 14, 2011
Well, I'm giving him all the casting and fighting abilities he can take, so let's see how he copes! And hopefully he lives to see the new book:lol:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu