• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Legion of Sacrament Survivors

Grave Tacticus

Skeleton
From page 16 of the new battletome:

"When Arkhan the Black butchered his retinue of Necromancers, the Black Disciples, to create a cabal of powerful Ossiarch Mortisans, the vampire [Mannfred] gladly offered patronage to the scattered survivors, ensuring that he would possess a host of talented Deathmages – and, more importantly, the knowledge of those who studied under his rival Mortarch – to keep his armies marching."

Personally, I really enjoyed the lore behind the Legion of Sacrament, and was sad to see them transformed into Ossiarchs. As ruthless as Mannfred is tactically, it's nice to see him looking at the big picture and acting as an internal foil to Nagash's grand plan.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
So what's happened to Arkhan now then? Is he still a Mortach in command of his own legions?

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Arkhan got killed - but he will be back. Or at least Mannfred thinks he will. There is a nice flavor text on page 31 in Gravelords battletome. It follows Mannfred and he contemplates: "Arkhan, meanwhile, would not be saying anything for some time, having been hurled from the rim of Hysh by the Lumineth. The Liche would return, of course; that was rather the point of him. Still, Mannfred would take great pleasure in reminding him of that inglorious episode."

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Oh no, so Arkhan is currently no more? Not in any Battletomes? 😭 I know they wanted shiny special characters but it would have been great for him to still be part of the Bonereapers.

Belladonna Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
His rules will remain in there as he gives legitimacy to the faction beyond it just being an immense extension of Katakros will. Arkhan will likely remain in the OBR book with his personal legion, the null myriad and he'll make a comeback when it suits the great revenge on Teclis.

Gederas

Zombie
Oh no, so Arkhan is currently no more? Not in any Battletomes? 😭 I know they wanted shiny special characters but it would have been great for him to still be part of the Bonereapers.
He's in the Ossiarch Bonereapers Battletome. I'm going to assume he'll pull himself back together by the time of their 3.0 Battletome :lol: As Voltaire said, he adds something to the Bonereapers outside of just being Katakros' lads.

The thing I'm most interested about is in Broken Realms: Teclis, they bring attention to the mounts of Arkhan, Mannfred and Neferata being destroyed. Which is.... Curious, as they're all made from the same kit, and it's a "recent" kit by GW standards.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
His rules will remain in there as he gives legitimacy to the faction beyond it just being an immense extension of Katakros will. Arkhan will likely remain in the OBR book with his personal legion, the null myriad and he'll make a comeback when it suits the great revenge on Teclis.
Ah, that's one I don't think I have which is why I missed it. Well at least he is still there even if gone in the fluff for now...although you're right. GW undead characters never stay down for long! Wouldn't be surprised if Settra pops up at some point!
they bring attention to the mounts of Arkhan, Mannfred and Neferata being destroyed
Honestly, I hope they are. Never like the mounts, always felt like they were just an excuse to make a big similar multi-part kit

Belladonna Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Wouldn't be surprised if Settra pops up at some point!
He already has - probably - they're is Settrus of the Stormcast chamber 'The imperishables'.

And Arkhan just represents the most delicate and versatile tool in Nagashs arsenal. He'll be back exactly when needed and I think it'll be in secret.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
He's in the Ossiarch Bonereapers Battletome. I'm going to assume he'll pull himself back together by the time of their 3.0 Battletome :lol: As Voltaire said, he adds something to the Bonereapers outside of just being Katakros' lads.

The thing I'm most interested about is in Broken Realms: Teclis, they bring attention to the mounts of Arkhan, Mannfred and Neferata being destroyed. Which is.... Curious, as they're all made from the same kit, and it's a "recent" kit by GW standards.
This is an interesting point. I wonder if GW will make new even more epic sculpts for the three of them. They are obviously all three still REALLY important in the lore so they aren't going away - and with the lore in the Gravelords book it seems that they all have a part to play in the events to come... GW has also been very keen on releasing named characters in huge scale the last couple of years, so it would fit with their current love for centerpiece models.

Gederas

Zombie
This is an interesting point. I wonder if GW will make new even more epic sculpts for the three of them. They are obviously all three still REALLY important in the lore so they aren't going away - and with the lore in the Gravelords book it seems that they all have a part to play in the events to come... GW has also been very keen on releasing named characters in huge scale the last couple of years, so it would fit with their current love for centerpiece models.
Yeah, this is one of those weird cases because the Arkhan/Mannfred/Neferata Mortarch kit is new by GW standards, being released for The End Times, which was... 2014 to 2015.

So 7 to 6 years old, which is basically "brand new" by GW standards -looks at the armies still using models older than I am-

So there's a chance that they had their mounts (and Arkhan's body) destroyed for a future new kit for each but....

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
He already has - probably - they're is Settrus of the Stormcast chamber 'The imperishables'.

No way?! That's great, does he have rules. Considering his awesome death in the End Times he definitely earned his place as a mighty warrior.

@The Sun King @Gederas - please PLEASE on updated models, especially for Neferata. When you have the stunning new models like Vai (you know what I'm on about 😏 ) why doesn't Neferata look like the most stunning vampire like she is meant to be in lore?

Gederas

Zombie
No way?! That's great, does he have rules. Considering his awesome death in the End Times he definitely earned his place as a mighty warrior.
Well, the thing is "Lord-Celestant Settrus" was perma-killed off in one of the novels because apparently Black Library's Editors (or GW) told the author "no, you can't have a Stormcast that's obviously Settra" or something along those lines.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Yeah, I'm with you in that DoN! Otherwise I will have to make a conversion I think - maybe from Vai?

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
I think we need a new thread for this one Sunny! 😁

@Gederas - I'm a bit gutted on that. It would make absolute sense to pit Settra against Nagash, and then you could have a whole storyline where he regains more of his memories and refuses to serve under Sigmar - SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE! - and become the first one to rebel and go off on his own somehow.

Dammit, if no one else does it, maybe I have to...

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
It was suggested in one novel that Settra had become a stormcast named Settrus. It was later retconned that no, 'Settrus' was not actually Settra, and instead was some other guy.

Arkhan ground up his old armies to make more ossiarchs, especially for the Null Myriad Legion, which Katakros assigned to his service. They were repelled and defeated by a Lumineth army led by the Light of Eltharion during the events of Broken Realms: Teclis, and Arkhan was pushed off the perimeter of the realm, utterly destroying him. Nobody expects it to stick for long. Even if it does, his rules will almost certainly remain playable (Much as Nagash's have, despite the temporary destruction of his own mortal form by Teclis at the climax of that same campaign), but while he's not going anywhere in the game, Arkhan might be out of action in the lore for a while.

The fate of the Null Myriad is unclear. They suffered a defeat in Hysh, but probably still exist. That said, there's no way of knowing for sure until the next OBR book. Hopefully it's not too far away. If the Myriad do stick around, then hopefully their rules get tweaked to make them a bit more of a strong magic faction and not just a strong anti-magic faction. There are surprisingly few strong magic focused subfactions available to Death armies in general given how closely the necromantic magic of Shyish is tied to the concept of undeath within age of sigmar. The loss of the Legion of Sacrament with no clear successor for that role in the new Sblight Glords books. Vyrkos vampires get a bit of a casting boost, but the vamp lore itself is so bad that it doesn't count for all that much. LoNight picked up the survivors of LoSacrament in the lore, and has a good artefact for necromancers, but apart from that one artefact there's really no mechanical support. Warscroll Battalions aren't allowed in matched play in 3e, but even in narrative games where they are allowed none of ours grant any casting bonuses or even include necromancers in them.

I'm working on a homebrew update of the Legion of Sacrament subfaction to make it work with the Soulblight Gravelords battletome, whether for historical games or just as an alternative subfaction focusing more on necromancers than vampires, but I find most opponents aren't interested in playing against homebrew rules, and events of course almost never allow them.

EDIT: Malign Portents: Teclis? Ugh, my brain these days....

Last edited:

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Cheers for the update @Sception - I wonder why GW retconned it. It would have made a brilliant storyline.

It is disappointing that we're lacking in a magical-focused approach when historically you could always do that with vampire counts, especially with Necrarchs.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing your homebrew of the Legion of Sacrament 👍

Gederas

Zombie
Cheers for the update @Sception - I wonder why GW retconned it. It would have made a brilliant storyline.

It is disappointing that we're lacking in a magical-focused approach when historically you could always do that with vampire counts, especially with Necrarchs.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing your homebrew of the Legion of Sacrament 👍
Probably because GW may have plans for Settra's return.

And in regards to a magically oriented Gravelords, there's an off-hand mention of a group of Vampires who are in Hysh (those unlucky bastards) who are "withered and magically powerful", which sounds like Necrarchs to me. So it's probably a case of GW is leaving gaps for them to fill in later.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Probably because GW may have plans for Settra's return.
I doubt it. More likely they either just don't want to rule out the possibility that they might come up with something later, or they just didn't want to kick former tomb kings players while they were down.

For arcane gravelords, Vyrkos has solid subfaction abilities and a good special character for /vampire/ casters, but are held back from being a solid spellcasting faction by the rank badness of the vampire spell lore. What's missing is more a necromancer subfaction specifically. I tried my hand at a homebrew subfaction, the current draft of which is up in its own thread.