• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Legions of Nagash list testing

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
I'll try my best to get pictures and batreps up for all of these lists which will be HERE, but this thread is just for list ideas. I'd love for input on these or other ideas that someone else might have. If you have a list idea and can't test it out, for one reason or another, and you'd like to see how it performs, just let me and I'll see if I can try it out. My FLGS is working on getting a podcast up and running games for 40k and AOS. The only rule is that the armies have to be fully painted and I am one of two people locally that has a fully painted AOS army, the other being the one running the podcast. My 40k collection is dwarfed by my AOS collection, so I'll be sticking with that. Hopefully, though, I can get some videos up soon.

Last edited:

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
I have two lists ready to go and I hope to get them each playtested within the next month.

1. The First Cohort:
(Grand Host of Nagash)
The First Cohort battalion
Nagash
spells:Decrepify, Soulpike, Soul Harvest
Morghast Archai with Halberds
40 skeletons, swords
20 skeletons, spears
20 skeletons, spears
Necromancer
artefact: Gravesand Timeglass
spell:Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer
artefact: Ossific Diadem
spell:Fading Vigour
2000 points

Notes: part of the reason I'm running some spears is that's how my skellies are modeled. The other part is having 4 ranks of attacks on a target(s) with the front 2 ranks being swords. Granted, this would usually require that I be charged, but if I'm within 6" or so, I can just make a whole when the front skellies die and charge the supporting unit in.

2. The Walking Dread
(Legion of Blood)
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon
ancient shield, deathlance
artefact: Ring of Dominion
command trait: Walking Death
spell: spirit gale
Bloodseeker Palanquin
artefact: Oubliette Arcana
spell: Amaranthine Orb
Necromancer
spell: Overwhelming Dread
Bat Swarms x2
Deathmarch battalion
Wight King with Black Axe
Black Knights x5
Grave Guard x5 with swords
Skeletons x 40 with swords
Skeletons x 20 with spears
Skeletons x 20 with spears
1980 points

Notes: Despite its name, this should be a fairly fast list and has a lot of debuffs. Just about everything should hit REALLY hard, especially the vamp lord. The vamp lord should have +2 attacks for all of its weapons (mount included) in almost every battle round. +1 attack comes from the Legion of Blood trait (permanent) and the other +1 would come from the Palanquin. Running them near each other, behind the skeletons, should keep a hero slain fairly often. The palanquin would also have +1 attack perpetually, with the probable +2.The extra attacks, compounded by the 1/3 chance of swinging your opponent's weapon (with +1 or 2 attacks also) and dealing mortal wounds on 6+ to hit will be pretty epic. Even if they manage to bring down the vampires, they'll still have to deal with a giant horde of skellies.

Demian

Vampire Count
Hi! I do like both lists, I'm still trying to figure out what comboes-Units-Spells work best.

Fielding Batallions seems the way to go, and I'll try to get a list around Prince Vhordrai sometime.

Also, in a Soulblight army, I'd like to see the use of Mist Form, as I believe is quite a powerful tool that no other Allegiance has so far, kind of like the Necrosphinx mauling stuff.

Last, if you can, what do you think would be a good list for a Nighthaunt-Knight of Shrouds list? I'll try some ideas, but would like to see your perspective! I believe at lower points it should be powerful enough

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I think Soul Harvest is less than ideal on nagash. On arkhan it's good, but the difference between a 9" soul harvest and a 3" soul harvest is just too much. A lot of the time people avoid engaging Nagash with much for fear of his melee abilities and hand of dust, so you'll almost always be better off with Vile Transference as a healing spell for the increased range and the option to heal your archai instead if Nagash is undamaged.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Hi! I do like both lists, I'm still trying to figure out what comboes-Units-Spells work best.

Fielding Batallions seems the way to go, and I'll try to get a list around Prince Vhordrai sometime.

Also, in a Soulblight army, I'd like to see the use of Mist Form, as I believe is quite a powerful tool that no other Allegiance has so far, kind of like the Necrosphinx mauling stuff.

Last, if you can, what do you think would be a good list for a Nighthaunt-Knight of Shrouds list? I'll try some ideas, but would like to see your perspective! I believe at lower points it should be powerful enough
At 1000 points Nighthaunt:
Knight of shrouds
Tomb Banshee
-artefact
Tomb Banshee
Mourngul (app says it's 350 points now)
3x3 spirit hosts.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
I got to test out the Grand Host list today. The scenario prevented a thorough testing and my was Everchosen Varanguard with Archaon at the helm, so a lot of my spells got negated by the 4+ ability. However, Spectral grasp proved to be quite the effective countermeasure as it targets terrain. The 40 block of skeletons backed by the necromancer with the diadem lasted 3 rounds against varanguard and two rounds against Archaon, and deleting a unit of varanguard and getting 9 wounds through on Archaon. The time-glass got 4 wounds through on the gaunt summoner and as soon as it got in range, I blasted it with an arcane bolt, killing it. Nagash and Archaon never fought as the scenario kept them on opposite sides of the board.

I staggered abilities on units, i.e. soul pike on one and fading vigour on another which really annoyed my opponent. Soul pike just killed a Varanguard when he rolled a 10 to charge and spectral grasp with fading vigour just kept the other unit too far away to charge. I ended up winning by one point because when I killed the gaunt summoner, the only unit he had left to hold objectives was Archaon and I left a necromancer all alone harassing him with spells, so he hopped off the objective to kill him. It was fun but when 14 skeletons fell in a round of combat and 12 got raised with my 5D3 resurrection I could instantly see the salt in my opponent's tears start to form. I thought no this has the potential to cause a lot of pain in tournaments.