• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Leithel's Night Stalkers

Love the use of the Tyranids... I picked up a load to use as daemons. Also, that tutorial on swamp basing is excellent, thank you so much for that.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
They came out very interesting, the contrast of purple and green is pleasing :thumbsup: I've never heard about Night Stalkers for Kings of War - are they a stand in for something found in WFB, or is it something new? Also, great work on the bases :)

Leithel

Grave Guard
Thanks @mousekiller and @Borgnine , much appreciated. Night Stalkers are a new army, they don't really exist in WHFB. They are shadows and nightmares that take on the shape of their enemies greatest fears. They're really fun to paint and are helping me try out some new techniques.

Speaking of which, here is my next unit.

The Shadow Hulk

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.squarespace.com%2Fstatic%2F54c98e3ee4b052377d6e1961%2F570a4561746fb9dec4a20bbb%2F570a457b4d088e29f6f47065%2F1460290986030%2FIMG_4637.JPG%3Fformat%3D750w&hash=abf141cdf51e651d8d1bebf52b80307d

I've got three of these guys to do, but I'm pretty pleased with the first one. More details on my blog site and HEAPS more pictures, I don't want to post them all here.

Next up are the needle-fangs, a unit of swarms that I'm going to use old warhammer quest spiders to represent.

Leithel

Grave Guard
Thanks @mousekiller . It's black base coat primer, it's a little shiny so it looks blacker than a mat black, which helps. I use a light purple thinned and spray it on with the airbrush over the slits. I fill the slits with white paint, then ink them purple and touch up.

That's it, nothing special and no camera tricks though the contrast does turn out a little higher on the camera shots helping it along a little. I don't have the specific colours I use on hand, they're all Vallejo. I'll post them when I get home.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Great looking minis and I really like the bases :thumbsup: I could see them working very nicely for a swap themed VC army.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Some brilliant job on this one! Blending on the carapace looks great and interesting and the glowy purple spots are really terrific. With this scheme, almost any model can be used in this army xD You're getting very quickly better and better at this painting business :thumbsup:

Leithel

Grave Guard
Thanks @Borgnine , really appreciate the good feedback. I'm working on a doppelganger unit for this army, it's basically a unit that morphs into the same unit type as it's enemy and I'm using heaps of old warhammer quest models to represent the unit using the same (or close to it) painting scheme so I imagine I'm about to test out that theory.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
You certainly don't take the easy way with the basing on this army xD The purple glow effect is awesome! You managed to make these cute old spiders into something creepy (and still a bit cute) :thumbsup: The one on the left looks a little akward, kinda hovering above that patch of grass - repositioning the legs could help - but I understand that on such small models it can be too much of a hassle for a small effect.

This truly is an amazing looking army! And the use of dark colors really makes it pop! Much more my choice of colors... dark and brooding! You are really doing them justice. And you could definitely use them in a fantasy or future army to equal degree.

Leithel

Grave Guard
The one on the left looks a little akward,.
Yeah I noticed that too, but after they're painted, re-positioning them is hard. I might give it another crack.

Believe it or not, the basing isn't all that hard and while it does take a little longer (and to be honest most of the time is making the plants and sanding the edges straight (ish)) the models themselves take hardly any time at all. I found a good recipe with the airbrush to cut the plant making time in half yesterday though, I'll share it at some point.

Thanks very much for your feedback also @mousekiller . I don't play any scify but the multibasing might make it hard to use them i many other systems.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Leithel Your work here is pretty top notch. The colour choices, basing and just generally the execution of everything from start to finish is fantastic. Keep up the great work!