• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hey all,

I finallt got my computer up and running again- I'd certainy hope so as this is my third hard drive and I'm getting sick of contacting HP to tell them to send me another one.

In my abscence, I've had the chance to get a few games going and had the chance to get a good look at some armies out there that have been painted and boy did they look nice. Now, I have the painting bug, but I want to share it with you all. There's nothing like having a fully painted army to play with.

So, whats to get one done? Who wants to be legendary and paint an entire army with me? Let's have our very own Tale of Painters. I know I have 132 models to paint in the list I want to run...

I'm looking for feedback on this and I think it'd be a great way of getting to know everyone in the process. I know we're all dying after that long winter, but here's our chance to stretch a bit and get some painting done.

Here are my thoughts:

*2,250 points of pure bliss

*Any army

*3.5 months/ 10 weeks

*Must post list before you begin- remember, no point values allowed for the invidual parts.

*You can already have them primed/prepared before we begin, but no complete units!

*Judging at the end.

*And a bonus if you create a backstory to your army!

I'm looking for ideas for a proposed date on this- the sooner the better so we can get rolling on this. There are a lot of summer tournies out there, wouldn't you want to go into one with a finely painted army all ready to go?

Let's hear it guys, our I'll start calling out names!

All the best,

Jake

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Oh god Redarmy, why, seriously why must you torment me? This sounds awefully like it will involve effort.

Sure, I will give it a shot.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Sanai said:
Oh god Redarmy, why, seriously why must you torment me? This sounds awefully like it will involve effort.

Sure, I will give it a shot.

Good! We can both suffer together, but both have great looking armies in the end!

Jake

Gaeth

Zombie
Nov 28, 2010
Can we do this if we so far have only a couple models painted?

Like, I've got about seven models painted, but so far no units complete. 'Cuz I'd love to do this, but I'm not about to go buy more models for it.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
I figure I'll just keep painting as is, except, when redarmy says "go" I will start counting the points value of what I paint from that point onwards, and ensure that number reaches 2500 by the end of the allocated time.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Jul 3, 2010
I would so do this if I wasn't painting all my Tomb Kings! I started to paint my (mostly unpainted) TK army 6 weeks or so ago, and I'm close to victory (wich don't involve my whole army, but most major units), and I really don't want to get sidetracked with another project :p

Plus when I'm done, I'll probably just wait for the new TK models and will be having fun with those (and my 4pts Skeletons :love: )!

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Yes, you can be in it if you only have a few models done , but not entire units. I know I have one or two done myself as I iron out the color schemes and such.

Mi, how many models do you have painted? I'd love to
include you in this!

Jake

Cuzzy

Varghulf
Jan 7, 2011
the Netherlands
I would also like to join but to be honest, I don´t have the money to buy around 2500 pts of models.
If it was more around 1500 ish I might be able to join in :)

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Whether I can do this depends on two things
1# When it starts, as I am painting every day and the later it starts the more models I will have to buy (models which I will buy anyway but the matter is of when)
2# If it all has to be the same army/system. May want to paint some of my guard as well as VC.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Jul 3, 2010
Redarmy27 said:
Yes, you can be in it if you only have a few models done , but not entire units. I know I have one or two done myself as I iron out the color schemes and such.

Mi, how many models do you have painted? I'd love to
include you in this!

Jake

What do you mean how many painted, you mean in my TK army ?

As for different categories, how about you start with say, a goal of 1k pts for the first month/6 weeks or so, then add 500pts each 2/3 weeks, so people with smaller forces can join the party, and paint what they have up to their limit. Also each step could be anything you fancy, not necessarily a working forces of 1k, you could do only core troops, or a bunch of characters, or a ginormous deathstar of Blood Knights, etc.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Sadly due to time and to commissions I currently have I can't join. But I will cheer you all on. And I can help imspire with my dozen of plogs of my own mini's.

veiled

Black Knight
Oct 10, 2010
Birmingham
Good god this sounds amazingly hard! Saying that count me and my Lizards I've only just started building them, i think i have probably around 2.5k points when everything arrives, however my army book hasn't arrived so i cannot confirm exact points but 3 Stegadons and a Slann is a good 1000points i would guess

So thats me in, although theres a very good chance ill crash and burn along the way

Malochai

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 4, 2010
England
In fact, I may have been telling a fib there ... Are we allowed to have units from different armies? (so, say VC stuff and HE stuff and Dwarf stuff, etc) And if there are different points categories I may be interested. Oh, and I assume there won't be a penalty on the forum if anyone has to drop out/cannot finish? Because I would like to take part but I have GCSEs and stuff to consider as well, so whilst I'd like to do it, I may have to drop out if I even start.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Yes, we will have different point values for different "time marks", ie. 1k points in the first 4 weeks. Yes it does sound a bit hard, but trust me in that once you get rolling you won't want to stop.

You are allowed to have units from different armies, heck even do a different army. I just want you guys to have fun painting your armies! If people can't finish or they have to drop, there won't be any penalty at all- this is all for fun.

So sound off if you can/ think you can do this and then we'll have a consensus for a time period.

State if you want to, what kind of army you're doing, point value and preffered overall time that you'd like to have it done in. I'm looking at 10 weeks/ 3.5 months.

Jake

Malochai

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 4, 2010
England
Yeah, I'm in with VC, a unit of HE and and Dwarfs. I'm gonna be struggling for 2,500 points right now unless I can get Thorgrim on Monda, so maybe 1,500/2,000

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
This is a rough draft of what I will attempt to paint. The tau are of an indeterminate amount, as some of the fire warriors, one battlesuit and the devilfish are already painted in the standard tau colour scheme. They are my little brother's tau and I will be doing some test fire warriors in different colour schemes and then he will choose what scheme he wants his force done in. The hammerhead I may or may not paint, depending if I feel like painting a vehicle or not.

10 grave guard w/full command/great weapons- 160 pts
1 Combat Vamp (Hero level)- approx 200 pts
1 corpse cart -100 pts
VC total- 460 pts

Shas'o Battlesuit
16-25 fire warriors
16 kroot carnivores
0-1 Tau devilfish
0-1 Tau Battlesuit
Tau Ethereal/Aun'shi
0-1 hammerhead

the rest of the points would be filled with imperial guard.

Abbysal

Crypt Horror
Feb 16, 2010
Beijing
Is there any way I can jump in half way through as I have 1000pts of Eldar that I want to finish but they are already base coated with their three colours?

I would be painting.

10x Guardians
10x Avengers
1x Wave serpent
2x Vipers
1x Wraithlord
and 1x Farseer

Bright yellow and blue. They all still need to be touched up then highlights, shading, weapons and then details and free hand.

I could also finish my block of Ghouls, 40 skellies and 2 CCs:zombie:

Malochai

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 4, 2010
England
I'll post up later what I would be attempting to paint, because for the life of me I can't remember right now.

Oh, just wondering, could I have Grombrindal, The White Dwarf (Grombrindal, Gotrek and Bugman) as part of it, for the points value he was quoted at in White Dwarf?

Cuzzy

Varghulf
Jan 7, 2011
the Netherlands
I will enter my beastmen (they have a lot of mini with low point values so that will make up for it).

I need:
2 wargor
1 bray shaman
2 gor regiments of 25 (including fillers) (12 done so far)
40 Ungor
10 warhounds
a tuskgor chariot
a converted razorgor chariot
25 Bestigor

wich comes down to 1385 points
hmm I'll include my vlad von carstein model as well then :D

I want them to be finished before the end of Juli (A long period but I need time to study for my exams).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu