• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Around this time last year I stood back from my hobby desk and thought to myself, "Hot damn! I think I own all the models I need for my Vampire Counts army finally." I had just dropped the last 300 bones or so on the rest of my Ghouls, the Terrorgheist, some odds and ends, and I was sitting high on a pile of Undead that had me happy with the options I could choose to field in games from there on.

Then, rumors started to float around that VC were getting an 8th edition book in the near future.

Great News! Or, wait, was it Awful News!? My short lived completed (purchased, not painted of course--to think anybody actually finishes /painting/ a WH army) force would need some serious upgrading. And months later, here I am. I'm down to one more Mortis Engine (seriously guys. Field. Two. Engines.) and a couple bits here and there for conversions before I've got all the Vampire Counts models I intend to have this edition.

So my question for all of you is:
How close is your army to where you want it? Are you getting near the end of your apprenticeship with Ol' Nagash, almost ready to take up arms? Starting to feel good about being able to field all the tools you need to spread the pallid wave across the Warhammer world? Do any of you already have all your goodies? Where does everybody stand?

But Heavens, don't get me started on what still needs painting..

Lynks

Lord of RAW
True Blood
Dec 29, 2010
Sydney
I have all the models I really want (some more zombies, ghouls and skeletons wouldn't go astray but they aren't needed) but as you can tell from my plog, I don't get up to a lot of painting :P

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jan 17, 2012
Omnipresent
I only really need 20 more ghouls and 40 more zombies. Oh and a second terrorgheist. And some more grave guard. Then I'll probably pick up some vargheists. And then by this point of course I'll need more core again

Yeah it's going to be a long road...

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I've added some Hexwraiths, and a few Ghouls, but apart from that this is all I can add, owing to financial constraints, and lack of time spent playing the game. I have lots of models dating back many years to use in my army though, so I don't lack options. My army is, therefore, more or less where I want it.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
I want a large force so not including characters on what I already have:

I need:

- 160 Skellies
- 5 Blood knights
- 2 terrorghiest
- 3 Varghiest
- 18 Crypt Horrors
- 1 WK
- 1 Mortis Engine
- 1 Coven throne
- 30 Black Knights
- 80 Grave Guard
- 600 Zombies

Then I think I will be done.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Duke Danse Macabre said:

I need:

- 160 Skellies
- 5 Blood knights
- 2 terrorghiest
- 3 Varghiest
- 18 Crypt Horrors
- 1 WK
- 1 Mortis Engine
- 1 Coven throne
- 30 Black Knights
- 80 Grave Guard
- 600 Zombies

600 Zombies? Saints preserve you!

von Rosentod

Zombie
Apr 4, 2012
I just started my Vampire Counts, so there is still quite a way to go before this army is finished. Previously I have a Skaven and a High Elf army, not mentioning my SpOrks. Lately I have been thinking in the same lines as you. Where does it end, really?

I have had a feeling my Skaven are finished for a while, then I added a few extra war machines. Now I think about some more Plague Monks, or potentially some more Clanrats so I could field two units as hordes. And, then slaves are needed... (I'm now at at 5000 pts legal.)

The same is going on with my elves. I am currently adding some models to my core, to finish of some projects from 7th Ed (actually I am turning some finished 7th ed projects into plausible 8th eds) before the new army book comes out and throwing my current plastic core boxes to oblivion. Then there's quite a big risk that I'll add some plastic special units. (I'm now at 6000 pts legal.)

My Sporks are even worse. But that is because my gaming group plays a few apocalypse games every year. This makes it so much easier to field insane amounts of your <3-units. And with Orks, the just-for-fun modeling projects are endless. "I could loot one of those..."

Getting to field at one singular time all your n-thousand points worth of models, painted, is just too bloody beautiful for one to stop at a couple of hundred more zombies.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Adam_Barrow said:
Duke Danse Macabre said:

I need:

- 160 Skellies
- 5 Blood knights
- 2 terrorghiest
- 3 Varghiest
- 18 Crypt Horrors
- 1 WK
- 1 Mortis Engine
- 1 Coven throne
- 30 Black Knights
- 80 Grave Guard
- 600 Zombies

600 Zombies? Saints preserve you!

I want a summoning list. :P
I have over 400 models as it is so its not wish listing, just allot of work to do. :innocent:

Unfortunately I have recently put about £600 into my blood angels to get them started back up.
Reminds me there should be some good picks of them this Sunday on my plog when I do the GB pictures as well. :thumbsup:

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
For my VC when I go to 2K:
- 6 Vargheists
- 20 skeletons
- 10 Black Knights
- maybe an extra T.gheist

DE(these are actually done and I have tons of models but just for switching/adding to bigger block options):
- 5 Cold One Knights
- 1 Hydra
- 20 Black Guard(waiting for rumored plastics, end of next year probably)

Skaven:
I don't think so, got all I want for my Skryre madness, well maybe a Screaming Bell just for painting purposes.

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
Jun 14, 2012
Minneapolis, MN area
My tastes are always changing. I ran MN led infantry blocks to great success, now I'm running Blood Knights with VL, just won a $50 voucher at LGC for winning campaign and picked a box of vargheists, played them, now I want more. After using skelly's and wolves in my core, I've really taken to zombies, so I need more of them. I don't think I'll truly be done until I'm certain I can field any list I want at 2500- 3000 points. To think I bought my first Blood Bowl team 7 years ago... I now live in an ocean of plastic army guys.
Oh, I just started collecting Beastmen too. xD

The_Peacemaker

Skeleton
Jan 21, 2012
I started Vamp Counts in January when the 8th edition codex was released. I had intended for a small vamp counts lists based mostly around Bretonian Undead Knights. My main army is Empire so I was planning on finishing that army off when its new codex came out. Well their codex came out and to my dismay the army doesn't feel the same play wise, and model wise they didn't even release new knight models. So I've gone full steam into vampire counts.

My small bretonnian undead has grown to a roaming vampire lord who an undead army from many different races and regions. This is partly because the bretonnian models are older and converting them just doesn't compare to the awesome new vampire count models.
My just bought a terrorgiest and coven throne a couple weeks ago. And then 1 week ago my LGS decides to cut fantasy and has a 50% off sale!!! I got a second coven throne and the big vargiests. Also picked up Empire Demigryphs and Griffon(I'll eventually get back into Empire). And a couple of the big terrain pieces. What sucks is that my LGS stock had dwindled by the time the sale happend. I wanted to pick up more stuff but it just wasn't there on the shelf. There was a box of Black knights, grave guard, and more vargiests. I currently have Zero grave guard so I am considering getting some but not sure if I want too.

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
Mar 3, 2011
Boston, MA
I have one more box of ghouls to buy for the 2000 point army I'm working on now. I intend to have that army fully painted before I buy more VC stuff, which would include a corpse cart, a terrorgheist, a mortis engine, black knights, at least four boxes of GW zombies (and possibly some Empire sets to kitbash with said zombies), and maybe some Tomb Kings horsemen to greenstuff into hexwraiths. Oh, and I may need to get another box of skeletons, for parts. So I need a lot yet.

I'm planning on taking a break from painting/modeling Vampires soon to work on a different project.

hornywingythingy

Skeleton
Feb 3, 2012
Wales
All I really need is more zombies, only have 100, a third of the number of skellies I can field, I'd be happier with 200 or 300 zombies, but can't justify the £ to buy the models, especially with getting back into 40k for 6th, and needing to update my 40k armies (and possibly considering adding a new army dark eldar, my inner tyranid player feels soiled) I'm actually reducing the number of armies I have, already having got shot of my Tk, and planning on getting shot of my ogres and lizardmen. Should hopefully generate sufficient funds, if I don't have to spend it on something sensible.......

AcasualDream

Zombie
Aug 20, 2012
I just started raising the dead last weekend, so I have a long long long way to go. I am obsessive about having models painted, and adding individual model flare, so I am really hoping that VC will help break me of this (there is just no need to personalize 100 zombies)

Posted by hornywingythingy
"All I really need is more zombies, only have 100, a third of the number of skellies I can field, I'd be happier with 200 or 300 zombies, but can't justify the £ to buy the models"

Check out Mantic models. I don't have any so I can't speak to the quality, but they look like a par / cheaper mass product. I am thinking about doing 2 rows worth of GW detailed models, then filling in the back of the horde with Mantic stuff

hornywingythingy

Skeleton
Feb 3, 2012
Wales
I have some of the mantic undead, I'm not keen on how they look alongside other gw undead, though I don't have any of the zombies.....

Good luck with the new army, I started vamps back in 1998!

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 30, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I dont think ill ever be quite finished with my Vampire Counts

I still want, Isabella, Krull, Kemmler, Grave Guard with great weapons, skeleton spearman, terrogiest, mortis engine, varghiests, hexwraiths, more black knights, more ghouls and some more zombies wont come in wrong oh and another corpse cart

Bounce

Varghulf
May 3, 2012
I always want more.
Fortunately having tournaments at a set size prevents my armies from expanding infinitely as I can't use those miniatures anyway.
Still its always tempting to buy just a few more guys.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu