• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

LoN 8th Edition review - Magic Items: Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Going pretty good on this at the moment, so lets keep it going. Onto the magic standards.

As before, changes only permitted due to upgrading to the 8th edition.

[hr]

Standard of Lifelessness - 125pts
This standard hungers for the life essence of its enemies. Urged by the dead that march under it, it consumes the will and souls of those nearby.
For every rank consisting of at least 5 models the owning unit has, enemies within 6" get -1 Ld for the purpose of breaking. For example for 3 ranks, enemy units would suffer -3 to their Ld. This modifier effects Ld based tests and attacks.

The Hunger Stone - 70pts
Atop this standard sits a massive black diamond that thrums with the power of of the Dark Lord himself. Under its influence the dead are driven relentlessly forwards with a hunger for living flesh
Bound Spell. Power Level 5
If successfully cast 3 friendly undead units within 18" may march move or charge as per the BRB

Banner of the Ages - 50 points
One Use Only
This ancient standard is infused with the power of the ages that have gone by since the very beginning of the ragged flag's existence. Enemies attempting to approach the bearer find their movement sluggish as though time itself conspires to keep them at bay.
Declare you are using this banner during the enemy's Declare Charges phase, after charges have been declared but before charge distances are measured. This banner may only be used if the bearer or his unit chooses Hold as their charge reaction. For this turn, any units charging the bearer or his unit reduce their maximum charge distance by D6+3 inches. Models with the Ethereal special rule are immune to the effects of this banner.

The Crystal of Geheiminsnacht - 40pts
The baleful glare of this cursed crystal scorches the eyes of those who look upon it.
When a magic missile, or missile weapon including war machines are targeted at the bearer, and/or the unit he is in, the bearer may use this item. The unit attempting to shoot must take a leadership test, which they cannot use their generals Ld. If this is failed, they must target something else.

Swarm Banner - 40pts
This grotesque banner is made from the skins of slain enemies and has a permanent cloud of stinking flies surrounding it. These insects have diseased and rotting bodies that can infect and even kill men..
At the end of every turn roll D6 for every enemy model in btb contact with this unit. On a roll of 6, the model suffers one wound with no armour saves allowed.

Doomrider Banner - 40pts
The coldness that exudes from this banner temporarily freezes all who come in contact with it, allowing the rampaging dead to cut them down without mercy
One Use Only. Cavalry Only. At any point during the battle the bearer of this banner may activate its power. Providing the unit charges that turn, all their attacks automatically hit in the following combat phase. This includes the mounts attacks but does not any characters or their mounts that have joined the unit.

Warp Banner - 35pts
This standard covered with dreaded spells and warp stones can manipulate the winds of magic to it's owner's advantage
While bearer is not fleeing, add +1 dispel dice during opponent's magic phase. In addition the bearer and unit he is with receive a Magic Resistance of (1)
If there is a friendly caster in BtB contact with the bearer, at any point during the magic phase they may choose to use the banner's warpstone. The caster gains +2PD for that magic phase only, however the banner looses its powers for the rest of the battle.

The Pennant of Eternal Death - 35pts
This banner warps the air, creating an illusion of legions of dead that will never die
The unit bearing this banner always count as outnumbering enemy units they charge, or are involved in combat with, regardless of actual unit strengths. This banner may not be taken by the BSB

W'sorans shroud - 25pts
This tattered cloth was enchanted by Nagash to imprison W'soran and his acolytes while they were tortured, after there failure to overthrow Nehekara. It still echoes with their screams, which no creature can hear and not be afraid.
All units that are within 6" and are not undead suffer -1 to their Ld. This also affects units with the Nagashi rule.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Ok, my first impressions are:

Hunger Stone: Is it still worth the 70pts due to the change in casting Bound Spells?

Crystal of Geheiminsnacht: It specifies not using the General's Leadership, I think this should include BSB re-rolls as well.

Warp Banner: The additional +2PD that can be gained, I think it should be noted that this does not have be used at the start, but can be used at anytime during the phase, although it is still subject to the 12PD max.

The Pennant of Eternal Death: Needs to change. I would suggest units cannot claim steadfast against a unit bearing this banner, and I would possibly even look at negating if the enemy is Stubborn as well.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Hunger Stone - 70pts? Yeah.. moving THREE units is still huge. Might be able to slightly reduce, but it's still going to be around that level (55-75).

Crystal - I'm okay with this either way.

Warp Banner - Yeah, that's fine. It's basically a power stone with other powers that are lost once it is used.

The Pennant of Eternal Death - I'd say it just negates Steadfast. Which is basically is what outnumbering got replaced with, so that fine. I think stubborn should still apply. It's a different rule all together.

and the one that stood out for me, which you missed :D

One Use Only
Declare you are using this banner during the enemy's Declare Charges phase, after charges have been declared but before charge distances are measured rolled. This banner may only be used if the bearer or his unit chooses Hold as their charge reaction. For this turn, any units charging the bearer or his unit reduce their maximum charge distance by D6+3 inches the highest die rolled for its charge distance. Models with the Ethereal special rule are immune to the effects of this banner

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Hunger Stone- I think it should drop to 60 points as it now requires you to pull at least 1 PD from your pool instead of being self-powered like before. It's still powerful though, hence the minor drop.

Banner of the Ages - I think Bishop's idea's good.

Crystal - I second DoN's proposal.

Warp Banner - I second DoN's proposal.

Pennant of Eternal Death - I second DoN's proposal.

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
I agree with all of the changes you guys have proposed so far, and I think I'm leaning towards keeping the 70 pt. Hunger Stone. Any 3 units within 18" is a HUGE benefit. I do, however, have one question about its use.

The rule description states that it can march move or charge as per the BRB. Does this mean that it can be march-blocked by another unit if it fails its leadership test? And when it charges, does it function as a VDM-ish charge (declare charge, move the fixed distance) or as a BRB charge (declare charge, roll 2D6 + movement speed, move unit)? In the previous edition, it seems that it was intended to function much like a powered-up Vanhel's Danse, but the charging rules have changed, so I figured I should bring this up.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Ok, looking at the feedback and comments so far, here are my proposed changes:

The Hunger Stone - 70 60pts
Atop this standard sits a massive black diamond that thrums with the power of of the Dark Lord himself. Under its influence the dead are driven relentlessly forwards with a hunger for living flesh
Bound Spell. Power Level 5
If successfully cast 3 friendly undead units within 18" may march move or charge as per the BRB. If a unit is charging it must be declared before the unit is moved, before then rolling for the charge distance as normal. Movement made by this item cannot be march blocked.

One Use Only
This ancient standard is infused with the power of the ages that have gone by since the very beginning of the ragged flag's existence. Enemies attempting to approach the bearer find their movement sluggish as though time itself conspires to keep them at bay.
Declare you are using this banner during the enemy's Declare Charges phase, after charges have been declared but before charge distances are measured rolled. This banner may only be used if the bearer or his unit chooses Hold as their charge reaction. For this turn, any units charging the bearer or his unit reduce their maximum charge distance by D6+3 inches the highest die rolled for its charge distance. Models with the Ethereal special rule are immune to the effects of this banner

The Crystal of Geheiminsnacht - 40pts
The baleful glare of this cursed crystal scorches the eyes of those who look upon it.
When a magic missile, or missile weapon including war machines are targeted at the bearer, and/or the unit he is in, the bearer may use this item. The unit attempting to shoot must take a leadership test, which they cannot use their generals Ld nor may they benefit from the BSB's ability to re-roll failed leadership tests in this instance. If this is failed, they must target something else.

Warp Banner - 35pts
This standard covered with dreaded spells and warp stones can manipulate the winds of magic to it's owner's advantage
While bearer is not fleeing, add +1 dispel dice during opponent's magic phase. In addition the bearer and unit he is with receive a Magic Resistance of (1)
If there is a friendly caster in BtB contact with the bearer, at any point during the magic phase they may choose to use the banner's warpstone. The caster gains +2PD for that magic phase only, however the banner looses its powers for the rest of the battle. Note the two extra PD are generated only when the caster decides to use them, not at the start of the magic phase, however the max 12PD cap at any one time still applies.

The Pennant of Eternal Death - 35 20pts
This banner warps the air, creating an illusion of legions of dead that will never die
The unit bearing this banner always count as outnumbering enemy units they charge, or are involved in combat with, regardless of actual unit strengths. This banner may not be taken by the BSB

Any enemy units in close combat (note this is the same close combat, not necessarily base contact) cannot claim steadfast even if they have more ranks.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The Pennant of Eternal Death - I'd say why not just have it negate Steadfast and then reduce it down to be the cheapest banner. Like 15-20 pts.

I think that the list could use a few cheap items anyways.

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
From a rules standpoint, I would say it's perfectly adapted to the 8th edition. Although, there is something to be said for Bishop's suggestion. But other than that, I like it! :)

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Ok so we have two options then:

1 - 35pts Any enemy units in close combat (note this is the same close combat, not necessarily base contact) cannot claim steadfast even if they have more ranks. In addition, any enemy units in the same close combat which are stubborn for any other reason, must roll 3D6 when rolling for Break Tests, discarding the lowest rolling dice and using the remaining dice for the test.

or

2 - 20pts Any enemy units in close combat (note this is the same close combat, not necessarily base contact) cannot claim steadfast even if they have more ranks.

What do you all prefer?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Personally, I'd prefer to see the cheaper option. I find that the list in general already has a lot of special/unique items. It'd be nice to see something that's a) cheaper, and b) simple. Might even be able to get away with 15 pts, it's pretty situational.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Bishop said:
Personally, I'd prefer to see the cheaper option. I find that the list in general already has a lot of special/unique items. It'd be nice to see something that's a) cheaper, and b) simple. Might even be able to get away with 15 pts, it's pretty situational.
Seconded. We have come up with too many expensive things with all kinds of fancy rules and effects in the LoN list, so something cheap and simple would be a nice change.

I think it should be 20-25 points though. It's not that situational; I can see this item will be useful very often as Steadfast is something that frequently comes up.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
OK, amended into my post a little further up.

If we are happy with that then as per the Bloodline Armies thread I think instead of voting now, we should just put it into the list, playtest when complete, then when we review and finalise, put those to the vote.

If anyone has any objections please say so in the next 24 hours, otherwise I will add it to the main list.

In the meantime, onto the next thread!

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
As the vast majority of the changes that we are making are due to 8th rules changes, I'm okay with not voting so long as the changes are minimal and required. If we total change something, create new items/powers.. then those should go to a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.