• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Thought we may as well follow on with these as the characters will still be fresh in our minds xd

Here is the current list:

Ancient Bone Dragon - 370pts

For many years the dragons have travelled to the Plains of Bones when they knew their lives were nearing the end. At the centre of this place of death, carcasses the size of hills can be found, the remains of the fathers of the drakes. Only the acolytes of Nagash have the power to summon these giants back once more, but to do so gives them a servant that is nigh on indestructible.

M 6 / WS 3 / BS 0 / S 7 / T 6 / W 7 / I 2 / A 6 / Ld 5

Special Rules

Monster
Undead
Fly
Terror
Large Target

Bones of the Earth
Muscles and skin have long wasted away on these creatures, but the bones they leave behind are held together by a magic so strong that they are almost impossible to break.
The Dragon has a 3+ Scaly Skin save

Father of the Dragons
These beasts are the ancestors of the lesser drakes, and they are a stark reminder that they are not as immortal as some would believe. The sight of the long distant kin used in such a way can deter even the most determined of dragons
An Ancient Dragon causes fear in all other dragons with the exception of Dragons who are ItP.

Violated
To some extent the dragon's spirit clings to its bones, enraged beyond belief at the desecration of its long dead body. At times it grows strong enough to manifest with a roar of pure hate and terror.
One use only. This attack can only be used in the shooting phase, and may be used when the dragon is in combat. Roll 1D6+3. Any units within this range must take an immediate Panic check at -2 Ld. Violated has no effect on units which are ItP.

Dragon Shade - 300pts

Not content with summon the bodies of the ancient dragons, Nagash sought supremacy over their noble spirits as well. In time the most devious of his magics managed to corrupt their souls, chaining them to his command forever

M 6 / WS 6 / BS 0 / S 5 / T 5 / W 5 / I 5 / A 6 / Ld 8

Special Rules

Monster
Undead
Fly
Terror
Ethereal
Large Target

Cradle of Shadows
Whilst its ethereal form does not allow any to ride this dangerous creature, its magical nature allows it to takes it master inside itself, delivering them safely to wherever they are commanded
This rule overrides the normal ethereal rule and allows corporeal characters to use the Dragon Shades as mount if the option is available to them.

Essence of Decay
The merest touch from this dragon leeches vitality from its victims. Those who are not slain outright by its claws find themselves ageing rapidly unto decay as the years rush forth to claim them and even their equipment.
At the end of every combat phase every enemy model in BtB contact with the Dragon Shade must take a toughness test. If failed the model suffers a wound, no armour saves allowed.

Will of the Master
Dragons are noble creatures, and though dominated by another's will, an Inkling of their former personality shines through.
If the rider is killed, then the dragon starts is slain outright, no saves are possible against this.

Fellbeast - 185pts

In the air above Nagashizzar, many terrible creatures swirl and glide around the spires and towers of the fortress. They are an unholy amalgamation of animals, twisted by the warpstone they are exposed to on that fell peak. The opposite of the noble Hippogryphs, they often have a sinuous snake-like body, with the wings of a bat and the head and front limbs of a dragon. However, whatever there varied may be appearance, there is no doubt that these creatures are deadly, capable of ripping a man in half with their claws, or devouring a horse in a bite.

M 5 / WS 4 / BS 0 / S 5 / T 5 / W 4 / I 4 / A 4 / Ld 6

Special Rules

Monster
Fly
Terror
Large Target
Scaly Skin (save of 4+)

Greater Carrion - 30pts

The Land of the Dead lies to the south of Nagashizzar, and in its great expanse the armies of the Tomb Kings can often be seen. Like giant fleshless birds circling above, the Carrion are hideous creatures attracted to the scent of blood and battle. Nagash makes use of these creatures in his forces, and bestows the Carrion upon his generals. this is a great boon, letting them soar above the enemy, and as a steed the Carrion are as vicious as any creature in the desert lands.

M 2 / WS 3 / BS 0 / S 4 / T 4 / W 1 / I 2 / A 2 / Ld 3

Special Rules

Flying Cavalry
Undead
Fly

Arabian Warsteed Hero Mount +12pts / Lord Mount +18pts

In the deserts of Araby, to the south of the Land of the dead, the armies of the Sultans ride to war on great Warsteeds, large noble beasts with a fiery temperament. Nagash breeds many of these spirited horses for use in his armies, and those living followers of his will often be seen riding to battle atop one of them, ready to charge down his enemies in a mass of Man and Horse all but impossible to stop.

M 8 / WS 3 / BS 0 / S 3 / T 3 / W 1 / I 3 A 1 / Ld 5

Dead Horse - Hero Mount +12pts / Lord Mount +18pts

Not content with living steeds, the Great Necromancer and his generals choose the fittest, most bloodthirsty Arabian warsteeds and flay the flesh from their bones with their dark powers. Their lively spirit remains bound to the bones now capable of carrying a man or undead tirelessly over league after league no matter what the terrain. These Skeletal Steeds are given to Nagash's elite, to spurn them on ever faster to greater acts of service to their lord.

M 8 / WS 2 / BS 0 / S3 / T3 / W 1 / I 2 / A 1 / Ld 5

Special Rules
Undead

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Ok, first thing to note for those that are uncertain - the previously much discussed Ethereal characters cannot ride the large mounts (only the Reaper can ride the Dead Horse), so no worries about OP combo's that way! xd

The only query I have looking at the list is the Ancient Bone Dragon's Violated rule. This was meant to replace the dragon's breath attack, which now in the 8th edition is one use. Do we want to keep this rule as is, or amend to be one use?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The Arabian Warhorse is just for the "Alive" characters, right? It could probably be reduced in PV to match what The Empire characters pay.

---------------------

Yeah, I'd say if it's the "Breath Weapon" attack, then it should be once per game. Although, maybe it could be increased in power slightly, given that it's only once per game (and all the BSB rerolling, etc).

Suggestion:

Violated
To some extent the dragon's spirit clings to its bones, enraged beyond belief at the desecration of its long dead body. At times it grows strong enough to manifest with a roar of pure hate and terror.
Breath Weapon, Flame Template. Any enemy units touched by the template must take an immediate Panic check at -2 Ld. Violated has no effect on units which are ItP.

Maybe we should Increase the modifier?
- up to -3
- or something like Hydras do, where the effectiveness is based on the remaining wounds of the model
(half the dragons remaining wounds, rounded up... so -4 for a completely healthy dragon)

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah the Arabian Warhorse is indeed just for alive characters.

In regards to the roar, I wouldn't use a template. I would simply have it as one use only and have it so one per battle every enemy unit within D6 inches must take a panic check at -2. The fact it can affect multiple units should balance the fact it is only one use.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm okay with that... though I'd increase the range slightly. Rolling a 1" would suck lots! Most Breath Weapons have a range of 8".. so, I'd say d6+2"... maybe d6+3"

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah I think D6+3 would work the best then, so we are looking at:

Violated
One use only. This attack can only be used in the shooting phase, and may be used when the dragon is in combat. Roll 1D6+3. Any units within this range must take an immediate Panic check at -2 Ld. Violated has no effect on units which are ItP.

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
Jul 26, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
I like the changes to Violated. -2 LD is pretty powerful, but this is a 370 point dragon we're talking about here.

Also, do you guys want to put in troop types for these things? I imagine most of them would simply be monsters, but for things like the greater carrion it really should be laid out on paper. Whether or not it's a monstrous cavalry or a normal cavalry with the flying rule will dictate whether or not it gets a stomp.

Montesque

Ghoul
Nov 17, 2010
Great state of Texas
I'd second adding in troop types. Even if it seems fairly obvious, that's become such an important part of, well, EVERYTHING in 8th edition that it will clear up a lot of confusion down the line.

And should the Dead Horses have a barding option? I can definitely see why we would avoid giving the Arabian horses barding, that being kind of against the entire point of Arabian style cavalry, but I see no reason they wouldn't want to armor up the undead horses a little.

Everything else looks dandy.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well, they are mostly obvious.

The Dragons are Monsters, the Carrion should be Flying Calvary, the horses are Calvary.

The only one that is debatable is the Fellbeast... Is this meant to be:
  • Pegasus-like, which would make it Monstrous Calvary, or
    Manticore-like, then it should be a Monster

Either is fine by me.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Yes I see the Fellbeast as a monster myself as well.

As for the Dead Horse having barding, that would be an option by character, not by this entry.

I will also edit in the changes for the violated rule unless anyone has any objections?

Montesque

Ghoul
Nov 17, 2010
Great state of Texas
Glad there's agreement on the Fel Beast.

Sorry, wasn't sure where the barding would be mentioned, so ignore that comment.

And I haven't seen any objections so far to Violated, so I'd vote go for it.

Oh, and Woohoo! 100th post!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Right then, have amended the first post. Far as I can tell everything is good.

Any more comments or are we good to go with this?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu