• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

LoN 8th Edition review - Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Ok, so here are the Special Choices we need to review:

Pinnacle Guard

As Nagash sits on his throne atop Cripple peak, he is guarded by his most powerful servants. These mighty warriors are the Pinnacle Guard; undead champions of ancient human tribes raised to guard a new master. Armed with fell blades and clad in nigh-impenetrable armour they are a foe to be feared; never tiring, never fleeing, they strike down their enemies with deadly efficiency.

Pinnacle Guard - 14pts/model
Pinnacle Guard M 4 / WS 4 / BS 0 / S 4 / T 4 / W 1 / I 2 / A 1 / L6
Gate Captain M 4 / WS 4 / BS 0 / S 4 / T 4 / W 1 / I 2 / A 2 / L6

Unit size: 10+
Weapons and Armour: Hand Weapons and Heavy Armour

May choose one of the following equipment upgrades (costs are per model):

GW + 3pts
Extra HW +2pts
Halberds +2pts
Spears +2pts

May also purchase the following upgrade (costs are per model)

Shield +1pt

One Pinnacle Guard may be upgraded to a Musician for +6 pts
One Pinnacle Guard may be upgraded to Gate Captain for +12 pts
One Pinnacle Guard may be upgraded to a Standard Bearer for +12 pts
May have a magic standard worth up to 65pts

Special Rules:
Undead
Wight Blades
Will of the Master

Will of the Master
Created to protect the masters of Nagash's Legion, these warriors stand firm against any odds.
If the unit is joined by the Body or Spirit of Nagash, or a Disciple of Nagash, the character may be placed in the middle of the unit (or as close as possible) but may still cast any spells that do not require LOS. Also the unit does not count as having flanks or a rear when working out CR. Lastly, the unit may use the 'Look out sir' rule even if only one soldier remains.

[hr]

Wraithwisps - 85pts per base - 0-2 units per army -

These dreaded creatures are amongst the most frightening under Nagash’s control. Unlike the paltry swarms of mewling spirits that the follow the armies of necromancers and vampires, these are truly the shades of death. They are the souls of killers, torturers and rapists plucked from the deepest levels of hell, and they return to attack the living with unrivalled hate.

M 6 / WS 3 / BS 0 / S 4 / T 3 / W 4 / I 3 / A 4 / Ld 6

Equipment
Hand Weapons

Special Rules
Undead
Ethereal
Terror

Tortured Souls
Just as they were in life, these shades are full of rage and anger. They hate the living even more so and exact their revenge in an unending orgy of bloodshed.
The Wraithwisps have the Frenzy and Hatred special rules. Such is their anger they may re-roll to hit in every round of combat, plus they can never loose their Frenzy or Hatred.

[hr]

Pinnacle Knights - 22pts

The macabre knights of Nagashizzar are bound by the same fell sorceries that animate the Pinnacle Guard and are armed with the finest weapons crafted in the dire forges of the Great Necromancer's mighty fortress. Like an unholy tide they storm across the battlefield, a silent host of rotten cavalry, terrifying to behold. They fear neither death nor pain, seeking only to bring them to those who would oppose their lord. Few mortals can look upon the Pinnacle Knights without despairing, and fewer still can resist their ferocious assault.

Pinnacle Knight - M 4 / WS 4 / BS 0 / S 4 / T 4 / W 1 / I 2 / A 1 / L6
Gate Marshal - M 4 / WS 4 / BS 0 / S 4 / T 4 / W 1 / I 2 / A 2 / L6
Dead Horse - M 8 / WS 2 / BS 0 / S3 / T3 / W 1 / I 2 / A 1 / Ld 5

Unit size: 5+
Weapons and Armour: Hand Weapon, Full Plate.

May choose the following equipment upgrades (costs are per model):
May take one of the following: Barding (+3pts), Scythed Barding (+5pts)
May take one of the following: GW (+3 pts), Flail (+3pts), Additional Hand Weapon (+3pts)

One Pinnacle Knight may be upgraded to a Musician for +8 pts
One Pinnacle Knight may be upgraded to Gate Captain for +16 pts
One Pinnacle Knight may be upgraded to a Standard Bearer for +16 pts
May have a magic standard worth up to 65pts

Special Rules
Undead
Wight Blades

Deathly Skill
The Pinnacle Knights are the Deathly outriders of Nagash's host. Their steeds are little more than an extension of their will, and move with but a thought. This leaves the knights free to wield their weapons with both hands, swinging great flails or carving throught the enemy with wicked blades in each hand.
Pinnacle Knights may fight with an additional hand weapon as if they were on foot, this means they gain the +1A if an additional hand weapon is chosen.

Scythed Barding
Barding. When equipped with this Skeletal Steeds gain +1 strength on the charge as if they were armed with spears.

[hr]

0-1 Locust Swarm - 35pts per base
Unit size 3+
In the desert of Nehekhara, despite the unforgiving sun, some creatures cling to life. Occasionally, when the rains come down and bring life to the river, vast swarms of Locusts emerge from the ground, drawn by the moisture in the air. These insects are voracious and hungry, and spend their short lives hunting for food along the river, devastating swathes of land. However, unlike in other parts of the Old world, these insects do not die. Foul necromancy from Nagashizzar spreads across the land and infuses these insects with unholy vigour. Flying in front of Nagash’s legions, these swarms spread death and disease, devouring anything they come across.

M 1 / WS 2 / BS 0 / S 2 / T 2 / W 3 / I 2 / A 3 / Ld 10

Special Rules
Swarm
Fly
Poison

Droning Horror

Fused with the dark magic of the Supreme Lord of Undeath, the drone of the swarm takes on a horrifying sound that cannot be ignored. It grates on their senses, setting their nerves on edge and even the stoutest warrior hesitates as the swarm bears down on him
Any enemy unit within 6” of a Locus Swarm must pass a Ld test if they wish to fire a missile weapon, or in the case of wizards, if they wish to cast a spell. If failed they cannot ignore the drone of the swarm and suffer a -2 to any to hit roles. In the case of warmachines that fail and do not roll to hit, the player controlling the swarm can choose to make the warmachine player re-roll the artillery dice. This rule also applies to stand and shoot if the swarm charges a unit, however in this case there is no range limitation. Any wizards that fail the test will miscast on double if they roll a double ‘2’ in addition to the normal double ‘1’.
This rule does not affect units that are Immune to Psychology.

[hr]

Necrophytes - 20pts per model

Necrophyte.................M 4 / WS 2 / BS 0 / S 3 / T 3 / W 1 / I 2 / A 1 / Ld 7

Unit size: 5-10 Necrophytes

Unit restrictions: 0-1 unit per 2,000 points

Weapons: Hand Weapon

Armour: None

Special rules:
Skirmisher
Nagashi
Thrall magic
Shrouded

Thrall Magic
Although not having mastered the black arts yet, necrophytes are still able to channel a moderate amount of dark magic. Unable to create or control thier own undead...yet, they help channel thier masters power through his unliving minions. In battle neophytes embolster and empower the link between the undead and thier master, working together to channel his dark reach into the outer edges of a battlefield. It is in this way that necrophytes first learn to control the undead.
Before using this power you must select one model to be the "Locus" for that turn. The Locus can change from turn to turn.
Roll on the following table at the start of every Legion turn:
1-5 Necrophytes still alive: 1D6+1
6-10 Necrophytes still alive: 2D6+2

The total is the range from the Locus in which any Undeads unit may march move for that turn only. Only units that are in this range at the start of the Legion turn may march as per the BRB.

In addition any Undead unit that is within this range and suffer from crumbling at any point until the start of the next Legion phase (check distance at the time when the crumbling would occur), they suffer one less wound than normal.

The benefits described in Thrall Magic are not usable while the Necrophytes are fleeing.

Shrouded
The Necrophytes of Nagash are not warriors, and only take to the battlefield to further their training in necromantic lore. As such they shroud themselves in the darkest of shadows and avoid the enemy at all cost
The Necrophytes may not willingly charge the enemy. Any enemy attempting to shoot or cast at the Necrophytes suffer -1 to hit or -1 casting roll. This is in addition to the normal -1 to hit for being skirmishers.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Right then:

Pinnacle Guard - They look ok to me....but wasn't they supposed to have access to Full Plate?

Wraithwisps - I think they are ok as well, though I am unsure about the points cost. 8th edition hordes are going to reduce their effectiveness a little, especially as they will rely on wounding for their CR.

Pinnacle Knights - Their rules look ok, but again their points costs? 8th really has effected cav, so not sure if their points value is still correct?

Locust Swarm - Just think the droning horror needs changing for the new miscast rules. I would suggest that a wizard miscasts on a 5 as well as a 6, however they do not get the IF spell on the 5?

Necrophytes seem fine as well.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Disciple of Nagash said:
Right then:

Pinnacle Guard - They look ok to me....but wasn't they supposed to have access to Full Plate?
Seems like a reasonable option. I'd say change drop it in with the Shield options. And say ONE OF: Shield +1 pts, Full plate + x pts.

Wraithwisps - I think they are ok as well, though I am unsure about the points cost. 8th edition hordes are going to reduce their effectiveness a little, especially as they will rely on wounding for their CR.
Well, they are still Ethereal. Horde doesn't change much. The real change is Steadfast, making them unlikely to break anything at all...

Pinnacle Knights - Their rules look ok, but again their points costs? 8th really has effected cav, so not sure if their points value is still correct?
Have any 8th armies with heavy Calvary been redone yet. That's give an idea of the direction they intend to go. I'd say probably leave it.

Locust Swarm - Just think the droning horror needs changing for the new miscast rules. I would suggest that a wizard miscasts on a 5 as well as a 6, however they do not get the IF spell on the 5?
I'd say causes a miscast on double 1s.

Necrophytes seem fine as well.
:thumbsup:

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Pinnacle Guard: I think they should just have Full Plate as standard, exactly the same as their mounted counterparts. They should then have access to a shield, but make it costly to balance out the access to a 3+ armour save for foot. Maybe at +2/3pts per model.

Wraithwisps: Very true. Same problem that Spirit Hosts have. I would say we knock them down to 75pts per base.

Pinnacle Knights: I'm not sure on that to be honest. Perhaps it would be best to keep them as they are, and so how they hold up under playtesting

Locust Swarm: So a rewrite of their rule would be:

Droning Horror
Fused with the dark magic of the Supreme Lord of Undeath, the drone of the swarm takes on a horrifying sound that cannot be ignored. It grates on their senses, setting their nerves on edge and even the stoutest warrior hesitates as the swarm bears down on him
Any enemy unit within 6" of a Locus Swarm must pass a Ld test if they wish to fire a missile weapon, or in the case of wizards, if they wish to cast a spell. If failed they cannot ignore the drone of the swarm and suffer a -2 to any to hit roles. In the case of warmachines that fail and do not roll to hit, the player controlling the swarm can choose to make the warmachine player re-roll the artillery dice. This rule also applies to stand and shoot if the swarm charges a unit, however in this case there is no range limitation. Any wizards that fail the test will miscast on a roll of double 1 in addition to the normal double 6, however the spell is not cast with Irresistible Force.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Disciple of Nagash said:
Pinnacle Guard: I think they should just have Full Plate as standard, exactly the same as their mounted counterparts. They should then have access to a shield, but make it costly to balance out the access to a 3+ armour save for foot. Maybe at +2/3pts per model.
I'm okay with Full plate as standard. Shields at +2 might be better..

Wraithwisps: Very true. Same problem that Spirit Hosts have. I would say we knock them down to 75pts per base.
I'm okay with that.. I think that they are still probably going to be pretty weak given the 8th rules changes. Playtesting will be required.

Pinnacle Knights: I'm not sure on that to be honest. Perhaps it would be best to keep them as they are, and so how they hold up under playtesting
Yep, let's leave these alone.

Locust Swarm: So a rewrite of their rule would be:

Droning Horror
Any enemy unit within 6" of a Locus Swarm must pass a Ld test if they wish to fire a missile weapon, or in the case of wizards, if they wish to cast a spell. If failed they cannot ignore the drone of the swarm and suffer a -2 to any to hit rolls. In the case of warmachines that fail and do not roll to hit, the player controlling the swarm can choose to make the warmachine player re-roll the artillery dice. This rule also applies to stand and shoot if the swarm charges a unit, however in this case there is no range limitation. Any wizards that fail the test will miscast (without IF) on a roll of double 1 in addition to the normal double 6, however the spell is not cast with Irresistible Force.
Looks good to me! :thumbsup:

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Great, looks like we are in agreement......then again it is not hard considering there is only us two working on it xD Ah well, if we get it done then we can take all the glory xD

If there are no further comments on this by tomorrow, I'll edit in the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.