• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

LoN 8th Edition - Storm of Magic Spells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
After reading the SoM book, I realised the LoN doesn't have any uber spells!

I think we should come up with at least 2, if not 3. However unlike the book I don't want to make these insta-kill spells, or go over the top.

A nice one I was thinking, which I don't think is too OP:

The Walking Dead 15+
Presence
As the power of the fulcrum invigorates that of the long dead liche, so in turn this is passed onto those around him. With terrible lurch the dead creep towards their foes faster and faster......
During the next Legion of Nagash movement phase, all Nagashi Undead on the board may make march moves as normal, following the marching rules in the rulebook.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I haven't seen any of the SoM spells yet. Though, from what I've heard a lot of them are pretty powerful.

I don't see a problem with that being in the list.

The Dead Shall Rise 28+
Dominance
As the fulcrum's energies flow across the field of battle the liche's, imitating their master, channel the energy into the corpses of their foes, flaying flesh from bone and raising their remains up to fight for their rightful lord.

Select one of your opponents destroyed units. Summon 1 Pinnacle Guard unit within 12" of the caster of a size equal to the total wounds of the selected unit. If the destroyed unit had command models, the raised Pinnacle Guard unit will also have these models. If possible, the raised unit will also be equipped in the same way as the destroyed unit. If this is not possible, they will be equipped with hand weapons & heavy armour.

Also, the selected destroyed unit cannot afterwards be the target of the (insert name here - Lore of Life Cataclysm spell that can revive a destroyed unit).

Perhaps a scaled down version of Nagash's final incantation would be appropriate?

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Oooh I quite like that....even better if they can keep the units magical items as well? So if the champ or the stand bearer had magic items they Pinnacle Guard could be raised with them?

Is two enough or do we want a third?

Grish

Liche
True Blood
It's fluffy, but at what point of the game would you be reviving a destroyed unit? Surely it would likely be mid-late game when units blow up?

Grish said:
It's fluffy, but at what point of the game would you be reviving a destroyed unit? Surely it would likely be mid-late game when units blow up?
True, but that also depends on when you expect to have the opportunity to gain dominance.

Take a look at most of the uber destructo spells - useable in the first turn with a cheeky Wizard Duel, using a DoN, for instance, vs a placeholder caster (something like a Necro).

The above spell just means that you need to have a strong army to do the work before you have a chance to cast the spell & finish off your opponent.

ooooo, just had the idea of the caster finishing the summoning spell & commanding the PG to attack with the words "FINISH THEM!!!" (Mortal Kombat style :devil2: ).

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Disciple of Nagash said:
Oooh I quite like that....even better if they can keep the units magical items as well? So if the champ or the stand bearer had magic items they Pinnacle Guard could be raised with them?

Is two enough or do we want a third?
I'd say no to using enemy magical items/standards.

I think that there should be 3, keeping in line with the rest of the SoM lists...

After there are 3-4 ideas then we can look at and tweak them

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Hmm, trying to think of another one....that keeps away from being stupidly overpowered.

Ok, I have two suggestions:

The Dark Mists 20+
Equilibrium - Remains in Play
Fluff
All friendly undead units with 12" of the caster gain the Ethereal special rule. The units may still use any equipment (mundane or otherwise) they are equipped with.

Usurper 20+
Equilibrium
Fluff
The wizard must select one model in base to base combat. Both players roll D6 and their leadership. If the casting wizard exceeds the opponents roll, he inflicts a number of wounds equal to the amount he beat the opponents roll. These wounds cannot be save in any fashion. If the wizard does not exceed the enemies roll, nothing happens.
In addition, any models that are killed in this way are immediately turned into Undead. The retain all stats, rules, items they had, however they now also have the Undead special rule. If the model was a mount previously the wizard may choose to immediately mount the model (providing he does not have an existing mount).
In all instances place the model within a 6" radius of the wizard, this may be in contact with an enemy unit in which case the new model counts as charging in the next combat phase. If you cannot place the model due to limitations of size or rules (such as the model may not join the unit), then you may exceed the 6" radius by the least amount possible to place the model.

I quite like the last one. It would be quite fitting to have some huge gribbly fly in to take out the wizard, only for the wizard to blast it to death and then raise it for his own mount xD

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Usurper seems workable...

Dark Mists seems like it could be too powerful... LoN already has quite a few Ethereals.

I'll have to see if I can locate me a SoM book to read through...

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Ok, so how about the following three for the LoN then:

The Walking Dead 15+
Presence
As the power of the fulcrum invigorates that of the long dead liche, so in turn this is passed onto those around him. With terrible lurch the dead creep towards their foes faster and faster......
During the next Legion of Nagash movement phase, all Nagashi Undead on the board may make march moves as normal, following the marching rules in the rulebook.

Usurper 20+
Equilibrium
Fluff
The wizard must select one model in base to base combat. Both players roll D6 and their leadership. If the casting wizard exceeds the opponents roll, he inflicts a number of wounds equal to the amount he beat the opponents roll. These wounds cannot be save in any fashion. If the wizard does not exceed the enemies roll, nothing happens.
In addition, any models that are killed in this way are immediately turned into Undead. The retain all stats, rules, items they had, however they now also have the Undead special rule. If the model was a mount previously the wizard may choose to immediately mount the model (providing he does not have an existing mount).
In all instances place the model within a 6" radius of the wizard, this may be in contact with an enemy unit in which case the new model counts as charging in the next combat phase. If you cannot place the model due to limitations of size or rules (such as the model may not join the unit), then you may exceed the 6" radius by the least amount possible to place the model.

The Dead Shall Rise 28+
Dominance
As the fulcrum's energies flow across the field of battle the liche's, imitating their master, channel the energy into the corpses of their foes, flaying flesh from bone and raising their remains up to fight for their rightful lord.

Select one of your opponents destroyed units. Summon 1 Pinnacle Guard unit within 12" of the caster of a size equal to the total wounds of the selected unit. If the destroyed unit had command models, the raised Pinnacle Guard unit will also have these models. If one or more characters died with the unit, then a Zenith Prince will also be raised, although his three wounds will be deducted from the number of wounds used to raise the unit. If possible, the raised unit will also be equipped in the same way as the destroyed unit. If this is not possible, they will be equipped with hand weapons & heavy armour.

Also, the selected destroyed unit cannot afterwards be the target of the (insert name here - Lore of Life Cataclysm spell that can revive a destroyed unit).

I added in the extra bit about the Zenith Prince. I think those three spells work really well.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Disciple of Nagash said:
No comments? Is that because the selection is OK?
No, it's cuz I haven't really had much time to look over them, and I haven't managed to borrow/find SoM rules to compare them to.

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
I quite like all these spells, but I do have one question:

Usurper says that it targets a model in base contact with the wizard, doesn't it? Well, aren't wizards in SoM usually going to sit around on top of Magic Fulcrums? It just seems like you won't get much use out of it unless someone charges in and tries to assassinate your wizard, in which case they will probably succeed (because you won't be able to cast Usurper until your turn comes around). It has a really awesome effect, but I just think it'll be hard to find a situation where you can pull it off. Maybe if you gave it a really short range, like 6" or so, rather than making it in BtB contact.

Just my 2 cents.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Unholy Cataclysm - casts on 30+ Remains in Play
Dominance
As the Necromantic energy sweeps over the battlefield, the spirits of the long-dead join together to form a great congregation of death. As the caster gives the blood-sacrifice, the spirits run wild and sweep over the land, taking with them more souls to join their unholy cataclysm...
Once this spell has been successfully cast, it cannot be cast again, or dispelled in following magic phases. Roll a D6 for every enemy unit on the board. On a 4+, this unit takes a wound with no armour saves allowed. Make a tally of the number of wounds caused this way. In each subsequent magic phase, roll one D6 for each enemy unit PLUS the number of wounds already caused by the spell, split up as evenly as possible; a roll of a 4+ will cause a wound with no armour saves, as detailed previously. Continue to keep a tally of the number of wounds caused each magic phase, adding to the previous total each time the Unholy Cataclysm causes a wound, and adding that many dice to next magic phase's Unholy Cataclysm.

(Eg: Unholy Cataclysm is cast and causes three wounds. Next magic phase, a D6 is rolled for each enemy unit, PLUS an additional 3 D6 rolls split up as evenly as possible between each enemy unit. This causes a further four wounds, meaning next magic phase one D6 is rolled for each enemy unit PLUS an additional seven D6 split up between the enemy units (the initial three and then the next four wounds caused adding together) and so on and so on.)

Essentially Wind of Undeath on steroids. xD

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Bravo - Yes I can see your point there, I agree with putting in a 6" range.

Darvy - I like the idea of an uber WoU, but I think the rules are too much work. Keeping track each round etc, with the amount of dice rolled getting higher and higher - I think it is too much personally.

Bishop - have you got hold of the book yet?

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
I think that there should be a way to dispel 'Unhoy Cataclysm'. It should be harder to dispel than most spells, but there should be a way;it could represent a wizard banishing the dead souls back to the underworld or something like that.Maybe it can only be dispelled on 35+, to represent how hard it is to deal with the restless dead. But you should still be able to dispel; this isn't some overpowered, glitchy Skaven spell, it should be a 'fair' spell.
Second of all, Usurper does not clearly state that when you resurrect a model that you kill via this spell, it becomes under your control. I think that a model trageted by Usurper should not have to be in combat with the wizard but within a 24" range of the wizard (like Fate of Bjuna and Caress of Laniph). I think that 'The Walking Dead' should be cast on 20+ as it is not 'all friendly undead within a specific range' but 'all undead on the board. Here are my suggestions for these three spells:

The Walking Dead 20+
Presence

Usurper 20+
Equilibrium
Fluff
In addition, any models that are killed in this way are immediately turned into Undead. The model is now under your control. They retain all stats, rules, items they had, however they now also have the Undead special rule. If the model was a mount previously the wizard may choose to immediately mount the model (providing he does not have an existing mount).

The Dead Shall Rise 28+
Dominance

Select one of your opponents destroyed units. Summon 1 Pinnacle Guard unit within 12" of the caster of a size equal to the total wounds of the selected unit. If the destroyed unit had command models, the raised Pinnacle Guard unit will also have these models. If one or more characters died with the unit, then a Zenith Prince will also be raised, although his three wounds will be deducted from the number of wounds used to raise the unit. If possible, the raised unit will also be equipped in the same way as the destroyed unit. If this is not possible, they will be equipped with hand weapons & heavy armour.

Unholy Cataclysm - casts on 30+ Remains in Play
Dominance
As the Necromantic energy sweeps over the battlefield, the spirits of the long-dead join together to form a great congregation of death. As the caster gives the blood-sacrifice, the spirits run wild and sweep over the land, taking with them more souls to join their unholy cataclysm...
Once this spell has been successfully cast, it cannot be cast again, or dispelled in following magic phases. Roll a D6 for every enemy unit on the board. On a 4+, this unit takes a wound with no armour saves allowed. Make a tally of the number of wounds caused this way. In each subsequent magic phase, roll one D6 for each enemy unit PLUS the number of wounds already caused by the spell, split up as evenly as possible; a roll of a 4+ will cause a wound with no armour saves, as detailed previously. Continue to keep a tally of the number of wounds caused each magic phase, adding to the previous total each time the Unholy Cataclysm causes a wound, and adding that many dice to next magic phase's Unholy Cataclysm.

(Eg: Unholy Cataclysm is cast and causes three wounds. Next magic phase, a D6 is rolled for each enemy unit, PLUS an additional 3 D6 rolls split up as evenly as possible between each enemy unit. This causes a further four wounds, meaning next magic phase one D6 is rolled for each enemy unit PLUS an additional seven D6 split up between the enemy units (the initial three and then the next four wounds caused adding together) and so on and so on.)

Like them all. You could have four spells (not usually allowed, but oh well) or three, but at the moment, I can't decide between 'Unholy Cataclysm' and 'The Dead Shall Rise'. I like the idea of loads of guys being resurrected but I like spirits dragging souls away too. Maybe you could have some super-combination of both as the third spell. But it's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.