• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim Von Carstein

Vargheist
Sep 13, 2007
With the Normal Vampire Counts army list compared to the Army of Sylvania list it allows you to field necromancers, no for example if my character choices were a Count level 2 a Thrall used for mainly combat and two level 2
Necromancers, would you think it would be a good idea to stay all necromancy or combine it with lore of death for one of my wizards, what do you guys think of the lore? I have only used it twice with average results i think.

- Maxim

darknesseternal

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
Melbourne
I've tried taking the lore of death a couple of times on one of my two necros, and it has always just gotten me into trouble..

Alot of the lore of death spells require line of sight, which becomes troublesome when you are trying to keep your necro safe in a bunker or behind your main line in a unit. It causes you to expose your necro more than you should, whereas lore of necromancy, the only spell with line of sight is gaze.

Main thing I found though is that Invoke is just such a powerful and important spell.. in one of the games I was playing where I gave one necro lore of death and the other lore of necromancy, the one with lore of necromancy got targeted and taken out by turn 3 or 4 and I was screwed.. a smart opponent will see that weakness if you go with two different lores and will exploit it.

So for myself, I don't consider the lore of death option anymore.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
The mistake is to take on your necromancers. The only time I consider it on a necrarch lord. I believe I´ve already said alot about this before but here we go.

Master of dark arts is devistating. It really makes all the difference, plain and simple. Drain life in particular. In such a list I go with thrall with dark acolyte as a battery for the lord and he also have book of arhkan. Then a necro with necromancy.
Basicly what you get a lord who can dish out a ton of damage, believe me can and unlike fragile necros you really dont need to worry about him getting killed easily.

Some cases its better to go with necromancy though but that is really something you need to figure out yourself, basicly what works for you.

I believe this thread doesnt belong in rules section but tactics instead.

Cheers

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
If I'm running a force with three spellcasters in it, and am facing an enemy with lots of pesky Skirmishers/ Daemons/ Fast Cavalry and I've not rolled up Gaze of Nagash on either of the first two spellcasters, then I'll take Lore of Death just so I can have a simple magic missile to put the hurt on the enemy. But as stated above, it puts an even bigger target on the Necromantic spellcaster's head... having only one Wizard who can raise the dead is a bad thing.

Maxim Von Carstein

Vargheist
Sep 13, 2007
Well maybe in my regular non-AoS list i might take it on my Vampire Count because i have 2 level 2 necromancers in that list.

- Maxim

The Inspector

Vargheist
Aug 25, 2007
1800's England
I'm with FatOlaf on this one.
Death offers a nice alternative in terms of shootiness, but when compared to the fantastic lore that is Necromancy; a lore that is so integral to our army's tactics and ability to win, it's kinda a null point to consider anything else as a permanent lore on a caster.

By all means, if you know that your opponent is bringing a nasty Wood Elf army with lots of skirmishers - the lore of death can be a viable choice. But otherwise, out of those certain situations, Necromancy is the clear winner.

Jerak

Zombie
Sep 16, 2007
Hi there
I used to take lore of death on my vamp lord when facing wood elves and it does work really well as long as u have two spellcasters to use necromancy. otherwise tho its a better option to use necromancy on all the spellcasters.

Jerak

Redna Xela

Skeleton
Aug 23, 2007
Utrecht
Well, the Death Lore can be devistating when a Necrarch lord with Master of Black Arts is using it. And not only against Wood Elves but against almost all elves and against heavy knight armies like Bretonnia. because the drain life spell get's an 18'' radius, can be used in CC and it doesn't allow armour saves! I mean EVERY enemy unit within 18'' needs to take D6 strength 3 hits and without the armour save it's bye bye small knight units. Just use 2 necromancers for necromancy and you'll end up with a devastating army magic wise.

Veland

Ghoul
Sep 3, 2007
Cracow
My advice goes in the same direction, generally.
1. Use necromancy on all spellcasters unless your general is a Necrarch Count or Lord. Then consider the Lore of Death.
2. The necrarch powers allow to know 6 spells for the Lord or 5 for the Count and add 6" to any spell range. Only then you may assume you'll roll for the drain life, and IMHO it is the only spell worth taking from the LoD.
3. If you go for it, maximize on spellcasters who should be your all hero choices.

Lord Asuryan

Skeleton
Aug 20, 2007
I use the lore of death on my blood dragon count... it's only one power dice I waste if I don't cast, and that can be stored in the black periapt. Lore of death can be fun, shooty spells are goos, drain life can be awesome-I ended the life of an arch lector which was reeking havoc on my GG. Doom ad darkness=good against high ld armies- ld6 dwarves! and walking death can be the answer to dragon ogres and other fear causers. only spell which I don't use very much is the lvl 6 spell-It's good, but too high a casting cost, and I mostly play against empire anyways.

manaknight

Ghoul
Jan 23, 2008
Palma
As other vampires have commented, I just consider it for heavily magical necrarch lists, and I choose it for the count. The +1 when casting spells allows you to use only one dice for the first spell and still have a 50% chance. Those magic shots are really useful against skirmish armies (Lizardmen, Elves), and I find that two or three necros can raise enough skellies on their own.

Otherwise forget it. Necromancy is far more convenient.

Gunslinger

Zombie
Dec 10, 2007
I love Doom and Darkness - especially when combined with Banshees. A classic example being the student nationals last year when I used it on a unit of Minotaurs....LD2 + Banshee is not a good combination it seems!

B

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 26, 2007
manaknight, go easy with the thread necromancy. This isn't the first dead thread you've stirred lately.

If someone wants to start a new thread about Forbidden Lore tactics and possibilities, feel free to do so. This thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu