• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
I'm not sure. Having gone over the leaked pages...

The ugly:
  • How does this army deal damage?
  • No, but seriously, almost all of the mortal wound output is gone, most of what's left is single damage melee attacks with maybe a pip of rend

Yep, that's one of my issues as well.
I suppose you are going to work around the delivery of LOTS of attacks at -1 rend, hoping to exploit the 8 roll on the charge to impose a -1 on saves.
I still need to wrap my head around the possible combos.
It's an army mostly built around durability, imposing maluses to hit, to wound, to damage...

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
I'll refrain from going into a longwinded theorycrafting debate based on rules none of us have played with yet - but to sum up why the new Battletome seems strong to me:
1. Extremely durable with unmodifiable saves and and army wide 6++ that with the use of a command point can turn into 5++.
2. Extremely fast. 8" Fly on almost everything is probably the best mobility of any army in the game.
3. Serious and consistent debuffs with the Wave of Terror and support Hero abilities.

Suffice it to say that I am stoked about this army 🤩

PS. Sen2 try this link
Cheers,
Sunny

Last edited:
Reactions: Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
1. Extremely durable with unmodifiable saves and and army wide 6++ that with the use of a command point can turn into 5++.

3. Serious and consistent debuffs with the Wave of Terror and support Hero abilities.

each, Nighthaunts was not an army with strong damage output, not it seems the same (if not even lower? we must see), however it seems we are even more durable.

That said, i've noticed that our hanes to raise the dead have been weakened a lot.

We can count on just 4 raise:
- a weak artefact (beacon of Nagashizzar), 1/ battle
- a strong ability by Lady Olinder (but again 1/battle)
- the spell from the Guardian of Soul (but with no bonuses to casting it can be easily dispelled by a good chunk of armies)
- the very useful ability by the Spirit Torment

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
I agree that the raising capabilities seems to have been somewhat diminished but I dont think we need much raising as the Wave of Terror debuffs will make more than up for it. I'm unsure about the Damage output. Seems to me that Nighthaunts have high rend compared to for instance SBG. Also, their base troops like Chainrasps and Harridans have a truckload of attacks which pairs well with the army rule Frightful Touch.

Last edited:

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
I agree that the raising capabilities seems to have been somewhat diminished but I dont think we need much raising as the Wave of Terror debuffs will make more than up for it. I'm unsure about the Damage output. Seems to me that Nighthaunts have high rend compared to for instance SBG. Also, their base troops like Chainrasps and Harridans have a truckload of attacks which pairs well with the army rule Frightened Touch.

in the next few days i'll wrap my head around some lists, so i will be able to test the army as soon as it will be possible.

Reactions: The Sun King

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
By the way I think the Emerald Hosts looks strong. Good for bracketing monsters and taking out support heroes. On average you'll be able to pick three units (and I think the good choices would be heroes and monsters) which on average will suffer 8-10 mortal wounds over the course of 5 Battle rounds. The great thing here is that the opponent cannot interact with this effect, they can only pray that whatever Ward they have will save them or try to heal up.

Oppenheimer

Vargheist
May 26, 2013
Looks good to me! I'm so glad we got a replacement command ability for All Out Defence. Unfortunately the command ability Finest Hour still doesn't fully work for us.

Reactions: The Sun King

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Looks good to me! I'm so glad we got a replacement command ability for All Out Defence. Unfortunately the command ability Finest Hour still doesn't fully work for us.
True but I think we got more than enough to compensate if you consider the debuffing in Wave of Terror :)

The more I think about it the more I love the change to Spirit Hosts. They make it really hard to bring down the support heroes of the army.

Oppenheimer

Vargheist
May 26, 2013
The spirit hosts have a totally different role. Instead of mortal wound factories they are bodyguards. Still very useful but so strange to have their roll change so dramatically. I think having them bodyguard Kurdos would be great. His 6 attacks -3 Rend 3 damage is super gross.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Kurdoss hits pretty hard, but is a bit dull otherwise, and I'm not a huge fan of the model (mostly because of the connection between the throne & the ground, which feels lazy). Hopefully he won't turn into an obligatory take due to lack of damage output elsewhere in the army.

Ideally I'd like to run some spirit hosts, hexwraiths, myrnmourn, a gos, a non-mounted knight of shrouds, maybe the briar queen, maybe a mournghul (since I have them already), plus some bladewraiths, a torment, a couple chainghasts, maybe reikenor and/or the drowner (the units I like the look of most out of the stuff I don't have), and call that a day.

/Maybe/ Olynder for collection reasons (she's the only mortarch model not currently represented in my pile of shame) - possibly dropping the myrnmourns from the list to use their models as substitute attendants on her base, since I don't much care for her attendants and feel like her model needs more anchor points attached to the base, which a couple banshee models could provide. I suppose one of the spared could be run as a tomb banshee, but I'm not sure I see a point to that with their new rules, and I'm already looking at 4 to 6 heroes...

Hopefully I can find a list that makes that work without dropping too much of the stuff I already have or adding too much that I don't like the look of.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu