• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
I'm in favour of dice rolling too, and I'd be fine if the majority (or entirety) of rolls were handled by the GM, after all, to my knowledge, the GM's there to build the story and run the game, not to kill off players... (ie. I trust you Grish! ;) lol)

I also liked the idea of having a few roles pre-set as a "just in case something happens". When I used to play DnD our DM used to randomly roll dice all the time and have us roll at random too, just so we never knew when something was going on.

A similar result could be worked in where we each roll up, say 3 scores at the beginning of each day/ phase/ whatever which the GM can use at any stage (presumably in order) throughout the day, keeps things flowing and enmeshed, your not sure where the rolls come into play...

I'm not sure if this equates to your game system at all, but thought I'd throw it in there ;)

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Haha, my main job is making the story as interesting and engaging as possible. Killing off people at random is generally not interesting. However, a climatic death, or rash choices genreally have consequences... I want to keep an element of danger in the game.

I say just do 20 roles a day, or more. Why not? Use the dice program, copy the results in. Takes just as much effort.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Grish, can you please be very, very careful to make sure this rp has a good, serious story and etc?
If this turns out being like Harry Potter or charmed, expect my character to be killed of real quick.

Keldane

Ghoul
Mar 1, 2010
Onikaigo said:
I is a l33t h4X0r. Or was. XD I lost a whole lot of skill when I went military and didn't have a chance to practice.

But those days are behind me. :D

I kind of like the idea for dice rolling in limited situations. Not a constant companion such as DnD, but perhaps in a sort of combat situation to prevent any character from going, "RAWR! I is God!" though I assume he/she will be suitably toned down in whispers by Mods. :)

I see no reason why a character shouldn't be allowed to go "RAWR! I is God!", as long as they discover that making such a claim doesn't actually make them omnipotent. That is to say, shout it from the rooftops if it so suits your personality, but expect airborne potted plants from those trying to sleep nearby. xD

Personally, I find the rolling of dice and the use of random generators (numerical or otherwise) highly conducive to role playing and inventive thinking. Whether the situation is just one I don't know how my character would to respond to, or I'm forced to accommodate an unexpected roll result at an inopportune moment, I find it keeps me on my toes. I may be biased, though; dice love me to the point where I've accidentally summoned gods (If you'd like the story behind that, I'd be happy to share via PM).

At any rate, if the game turns out to utilize dice, and be more of a GM/Player game (as opposed to free form with players controlling NPCs as well as their own characters, collaborative fiction style), then I may just be persuaded to join. We shall see.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Ok, so I've decided we'll try and run it like a traditional game as that's what I know best. After getting a feel for the game, I'll ask everyone who's still interested to make up a character and supply them with rules. Every roll is made the same, so generated a bunch of prenumbers would be good (or I could even do it myself).

But for now, we'll focus on characters and story, and roll that in when people decide that they're still in the game.

Cheers

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
Sounds like a plan Grish-Master! So the current characters are for a trial run? or are we having a "test run" and going from there?

Also, I'm happy for you to roll the dice Grish, at least till the forum dice-roller program is up and running...

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
IMO if the dice rolling was restricted, and applied in certain situations as appropriate(such as combat), then I could accept it. I'm not sure if I want to take part if the system is (almost) entirely dice-driven, but count me in for now.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
No, not for everything. Plus there'll be ways of automatically making roles (limited amount obviously).

The dice are there for a bit of randomness such as combat, so you don't get into situations where characters square off. If you want to, go for it, but the dice come in. Also if in a dangerous situation (needing to do some crazy driving) it makes for some more tense moments. But definitely not for mundane things.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'entirely dice driven'; do you have an example?

Also, I would like to add, the style is traditional roleplaying. It's what I know, and we'll see if it works. Please be patient with the system. If you would rather wait on the sidelines until it's established, feel free.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
Never mind. Basically I'm just echoing Onikaigo and Erick's sentiments. An 'entirely dice driven' system would be something like DnD.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu