• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Making Kings of War great

Aren

Crypt Horror
I am back!

After my aeon long slumber I rise again to torment the users of this forum!!!

Since I left the forum I see the vampires here didn't do much to stop the collapse of the old world.

Ao$ has sprung up and unsurprisingly I have seen a lot of people moving to KoW.

Just one problem prevails: the flavour factor. While KoW is a wonderfully balanced, quick and easy game to play, I think we can all agree that it lacks flavour.

Our vampires have been seeping flavour from their fangs ever since they have sprung into being. One of the greatest pulls for me towards VC has always been how unique this army was, it was truly a joy to play.

I remember looking over the 8th ed armybook and thinking "WOW! 7th was nice but this is something great". Something that really made the 8th shine for me was the new units. Vargheists, Hexwraiths, Terrorgheists....it was all just so fun.

So, how about it, using the King's of War game system, let's make rules for all those VC units that don't yet have rules in KoW. I think we as a community could really do something great, we could bring back the flavour and the unique rules and units at least for our faction.

Of course this would be unofficial but so what? Sure it wouldn't be used in tournaments but who knows, Mantic seem reasonable, maybe one day they will take what we made and somehow in some small way merge it into the next KoW iteration?

Tldr: it would be cool to make rules for the units we don't have in KoW yet.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Welcome back

I'm switching over to KoW soon, my books were placed on backorder so I'm just waiting to borrow a friend's. Once I know more, I'll toss in my ideas for what you propose. It should be fun. :)

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sounds good, Seneschal do you think I should put something up about this in other forum sections? Not many people will see it here but I'm sure quite a few people will be interested once they hear about it.

Units that will need rules: Dire wolves, Corpse Cart, Fell Bats, Vargheists, Bat Swarms, Spirit Hosts, Hexwraiths, Crypt Horrors, Varghulfs, Black Coaches, Terrorgheists, Mortis Engines, Coven Thrones, Banshees, Cairn Wraiths.

All the other units kind of have equivalents, Grave Guard - Revenants etc.

I did not include End Times units because A) Stuff the End Times B) Stuff the End Times and C) well....stuff the End Times.

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
I totally agree. All the armies being samey is my biggest complaint about KoW and my other complaint is that large base sizes don't fit in this game and we have lots of that. Having something to make up for the fact that we have a giant base on the terrorgheist would be great.

The end times had done great writing and we got some interesting new chartacters and new models so I'll add them.
We also need:
- Nagash
- Neferata on dread Abyssal
- Mannfred on dread abyssal
- Archan on dead abyssal
- Morghast Harbingers
- Morghast Archai

I noticed you avoided named characters entirely. Well I love named characters so I would also love:
- Vlad
- Isabella
- Count Mannfred
- Konrad
- Heinrich
- Krell

Aren

Crypt Horror
The reason I completely avoided characters is because Kings of War has a very nice balance going on. Named characters can break balance really easily and that would be a shame given that a massive positive of KoW is that you have to use your head and not your luck. I just think we should first do all our non-character units and then if that works out then we can do named characters.

I actually like the End Times Lords, this isn't my personal project so if people want End Times stuff then let there be End Times units. Really though End Times Undead for me go a bit too far from the Vampiric theme which I liked about VC.

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
I like the legendary heroes in KoW. I think they add flavour. But I'm not planning on writing things up so you guys can do what you want.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
So, how about it, using the King's of War game system, let's make rules for all those VC units that don't yet have rules in KoW. I think we as a community could really do something great, we could bring back the flavour and the unique rules and units at least for our faction.
Flavour, IMO, is found in modelling, painting and back story. Not in rules.

One of the things I really like about Kings of War is that there is no functional difference between Hexwraiths and Bloodknights. They are both super cavalry units that kill stuff dead.

Maybe it's because of my bias towards historical rules, where (for the most part) all units have similar (and in some cases identical) rules, but I'm of the opinion that most warriors and units are more alike, than they are different. We don't really need a different profile and rules for a Terrorgheist and Zombie Dragon, IMO. The one 'undead dragon' is sufficient.

One of the things I really like about Kings of War is that there is no functional difference between Hexwraiths and Bloodknights. They are both super cavalry units that kill stuff dead.
You could also differentiate your units with artefacts: for example, you could give the unit represented by your Hexwraiths "The Fog" to represent their ethereal nature.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Yes! Half a dozen stat line differences and different special rules aren't really needed, IMO.

Leithel

Grave Guard
Meh, I figure do what ever you want to do to get enjoyment out of the game. If adding some rules flavour keeps your interest in the hobby up, then great to hear and I'd love to hear what you come up with. Me personally I'm really loving the night stalker list as it is and there's so much flavour for me to sink my teeth into I'm not ready to start adding anything just yet.