• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
Thanks Worshiper! :D

I took two higher res shots of Arkhan recently because the last pictures are a little crap. I've also made them as big as decency would allow so folks can see all the mistakes I have made! :D

I can't complain really, took me less than a week to finish!

I haven't had much time to finish any undead recently, I am having to paint a Stormcast Eternal, so the zombies are on the back burner a little!

bigark1.jpg

bigark2.jpg

Leithel

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2015
Sydney
I'm constantly astounded by the quality of the painters on this board. That's a great job there @Malicht , such amazing and consistant blending over the whole model. Colour me impressed, I want you to do it so the blending is right ;)

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
So I have actually painted quite a lot of things for my undead, but I have been teaching myself how to paint quickly (for work), in order to get armies done faster. Whilst it means the army gets done quicker, the results aren't really photograph worthy.

So I decided with the Mortis Engine I would try and hit a happy medium. I want to get this done fast (I have a Fire Raptor gunship sat here begging to be built) but at a semi decent level!

So far it's going okay!

mortis1.jpg

Reactions: Dragonet

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
It sucks to be hurried like that, imagining that successfully discouraged me from seeking that kind of career ;) Still, good for you - a big output is a great thing, no matter in what quality :)

The ghosts look really interesting. I'm curious how it'll look when completed, without painting metal parts on the swarm like metal - I always thought that it needs to be done to break this large amount of etheral color. Still, I'm sure you'll manage very well :thumbsup:

Also, what do you do actually when painting fast? Base color and a wash? This plus a simple highlight?

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
Nice ethereal. Can you share your formula and process?

It's Celestra Grey > Nihilak Oxide > 1/3 Coelia Nightshade/Medium > Ulthuan grey edge highlights. Really simple, looks good to! :D

Hope it helps!

It sucks to be hurried like that, imagining that successfully discouraged me from seeking that kind of career ;) Still, good for you - a big output is a great thing, no matter in what quality :)

The ghosts look really interesting. I'm curious how it'll look when completed, without painting metal parts on the swarm like metal - I always thought that it needs to be done to break this large amount of etheral color. Still, I'm sure you'll manage very well :thumbsup:

Also, what do you do actually when painting fast? Base color and a wash? This plus a simple highlight?

That's basically it yeah. It doesn't look great, but it's table top worthy and no one cares when its all at a distance! :D

Regarding the Mortis Engine, if the swarm looks bad when the whole thing is done I may do the odd thing in silver to break it up a little. The good thing about this is I can see how it looks when it is all together and decide from there. I can always go back to it later on down the line too! :D

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
Here's a quick update pic. That's all the spirits done for the swarm part now. Onwards to the construct bit (next week!).

mortis2.jpg

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
Ta man!

I'm still steaming ahead with this. It's looking okayish. Still trying to strike a decent balance between quality and speed. So the bone looks a little ropey, but if I can do a semi decent job on the necromancer then hopefully it will make up for it!

mortis3.jpg

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
They just dont look very neat. Not sure it comes across that way in the picture, but I have taken a few short cuts! :D

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
Haha ta man! :D

I'll try to take some closer pics to show you what I mean. But as you can probably imagine this is a pain in the arse to photograph.

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
So, here are two pics. It's nearly done. I need to do the Necromancer and the base.

mortis4.jpg

mortis5.jpg

It's turned out okay so far, I think I would have preferred to do it a little darker and neater in retrospect (and if I had the time). But I can't complain too much!

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
Ta chaps, hoping to get it finished soon. Once this thing is done I basically have a lot of Zombies and Grave Guard to do... :(

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
The lattice of bones in that cage look terrific! I also think I'll try to copy your way of painting bones, full of contrast ;)

Also looking forward to your infantry xD it's a chore to paint, but a nice big unit can be as cool as a single big model. Especially when painted as well as yours. Maybe this speedpainting training will make it more bearable :thumbsup:

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
Not an update on the Mortis engine, but a few pics from some units I finished quickly at work!

They aren't great but they are done! Just need to add the snow to all the bases!

banshee.jpg

ghosts.jpg

hexwraiths.jpg

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Malicht I really dig your painting, top stuff all round. Looking at your ethereals on those brown bases is making me rethink my idea for ethereals. I'll definitely be playing about with your scheme in the future.

Great stuff!

P.S. I love it... 'Finished quickly at work' ... getting paid to paint your army. Not bad :)

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
While on the banshee one can see she was made quicker than others, the rest of them are great! Spirit hosts have this nice cold and dry feel to them :)

But those hexwraiths, damn those are nice! Making them so dark isn't very typical and you made it great! I like the contrasts - also thanks to decision to paint the metal gold - this along with dark blue is almost singing, so well they fit together ;)

@Farmer7574 But when you're getting paid to paint your army, you get deadlines, directions and it stops being a fun hobby - at least this is how I always seen it ;)

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
Ta chaps!

And sorry to cause any confusion. I didn't do them all in one day, I just took the pictures in one day. They all took me about a week on and off at work! :)

Here is the Necromancer to the Mortis Engine. I will be finishing the keys off then sticking him on his mount! Then it's done!

necrom1.jpg

necrom2.jpg

necrom3.jpg

Malicht

Skeleton
Jul 7, 2015
UK
And here is the Mortis Engine!

I still need to finish the base, but that will have to wait till Wednesday!

mortisdone1.jpg

mortisdone2.jpg

mortisdone3.jpg

mortisdone4.jpg

Eilief

Zombie
Jul 31, 2015
Perth
Love this colour scheme Malicht. Can you please talk me through your basing method pre-snow? PVA + sand/small rocks to start with, or am I seeing it wrong?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu