• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Mal's Boneyard

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood

New Year, new Painting Thread, as the previous one's kinda old now, and a lot of the projects abandoned. It's also kind of out of date, as I actually got some stuff painted last year but never got around to adding it to the thread, so starting a fresh thread is as much about celebrating the new as it is breaking from the old.

Some things never change, though. So, as always, I'm still trying to get together a modest but playable starter army painted. Here's what the current goal looks like:

Vamp Lord on Zombie Dragon: Done! (well, I might go back later and build up the snow a bit more)
Necromancer: Done!
Knight of Shrouds: Done!
40 Skeletons: started, but a long way to go
2x5 Dire Wolves: just primed

If I can get that painted, that'll make 1,000 points on the nose, after adding 50 points for a spare command point, and not counting the knight of shrouds. My (only) regular opponent and I still sometimes play malign portents games, including scenarios where both sides get their herald for free, so that's when the knight will get to see play. Otherwise, he's just there as one of my extremely few fully painted models in the "new" paint scheme that I've been trying to make happen ever since the End Times.

It's a color scheme that is intended to look better / more striking the more models are together and painted in it, so of course I'm able to work up motivation in fits and starts for individual heroes, while the troopers they need surrounding them to actually look good lag behind. Still, my new year's resolution was to get at least these 40 skeletons and 10 dire wolves painted by the end of the year, and I intend to stick to that, even if progress is delayed here and there by side projects. In terms of those side projects, I particularly want to get my mortis engine painted - or at least painted enough that I can glue the bone chasis to the spirit tower. If that interrupts some of this project, that's fine, as the first intended expansion on the above consists of that mortis engine plus 20 grave guard. And there's another side project coming up more immediately that I'll talk about in a later post. Plus, I'm currently stuck at home due to lack of car. My lone regular opponent is willing to drive the extra distance to play at my place, but I really need to get some terrain painted to make games here fun & interesting.

In the mean time, here's some more pics of my few actually fully painted models, instead of my previous painting log's gimmick of way to many picks of unpainted stuff.

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (still trying to decide on a name for this guy)

Necromancer

Knight of Shrouds

Skeletons (test batch, I'll probably re-do the shields when I paint the rest)

Even on this small handful of finished models, I think the themes I'm aiming for are starting to show through - an "Undead Legiony" mix of VC and TK aesthetics, and a 'suffused in necromantic energy' theme meant to be conveyed by the all-green-all-the-time color scheme. In hindsight, I kind of wish I had done the same limited palette gimmick, but in like a bluish purplish hue, both to better fit the 'shyish = purple' warhammer/aos lore and because purple is just my favorite color, but it's too late to go back now, and I do actually like the models I've done, so no regrets. Plus, when I eventually get around to painting my 'Purple Sun of Shyish' I'll get to make it a stealthy housetrapped reference, so there's that.

Last edited:

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood

So, speaking of side projects distracting me from getting my resolution of getting some actual troopers painted this year...

When my last thread died off, I was working on a tomb kings conversion project, recreating the tomb kings in a modern aesthetic since it seemed that GW wouldn't do it. I had various converted characters, vc skittles with tk shields, tk chariots with vc skittle drivers, and was even working on counts-as necropolis knights. Leading the lot was to be a counts-as settra. Of course, I'm a loyal servant of Nagash, and couldn't have my army led by a defiant blasphemer, but fortunately the original AoS TK compendium had a solution to that, namely that old style arkhan-in-chariot models were officially to be played using settra's rules, so there you go, I'd just have to convert me a new style version of old-style Arkhan, easy enough to do between bits of arkhan, settra, and black knights.

All this was planned out in my head way back when AoS first released based on the compendium rules alone. But progress on the actual conversions dragged on for years and years. My initial plan for counts-as necropolis knights using demigryphs had to be abandoned because the gryphs were just too small, the follow up plan using dracoths to convert mini sphinxes took too long and I never found suitable scorpion tail bits to use. Worse, subsequent iterations of official tomb king rules got worse and worse until the faction itself as obsolete as the model line, and even the rather promising looking fan mad battletome project seems to be largely abandoned at this point. And then the actually really cool and fun Legions of Nagash rules came out - which I was admittedly initially highly skeptical of but have since been happily won over by. But unlike a generic death list, the Legions proper can't even legally run the few old TK units whose rules I still like.

So, yeah, my whole tomb kings project is basically mothballed at this point. But this guy, the last model I actually started conversion work on before abandoning the project altogether? This guy I don't want to fall into the void. While I love Arkhan's new model, I've always been a fan of the classic skeleton-pope-on-winged-chariot incarnation, and I think my conversion did a pretty good job updating him to the current aesthetic while maintaining the original's rickety spirit. And it's still on the right base size to run as a plain old regular Arkhan. Not as tall as it should be, but as long as I'm not trying to block line of sight with any low terrain I can't see most opponents complaining, and I do still have a regular new style arkhan I can always pull out if it were ever an issue.

The theme for the next round of the 'Turning the World to Darkness' painting competition is "Ancient Evil". Arkhan himself is an ancient evil in universe. This conversion is meant to restore him to his ancient self, using bits from a discontinued classic model to do so. And the whole thing is an old abandoned project brought back to terrible new life for the competition. If this guy fit the theme any better, you'd almost think I'd chosen it myself!

Now, I just have to actually get the darn thing painted. He'll honestly probably take longer than the dragon lord did, and I don't have the same feverish burst of motivation now that I had when I painted the dragon last year, so I'm not exactly confident I'll get it done on time. Plus I can't just set aside my troopers in the mean time. In order to stay true to my resolution, I'm committed to making sure the troopers at least see some noticeable progress while I'm painting Arkhan. And I've still got Raven Guard commission work to do even apart from my own stuff. So we'll see.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
I love that chariot conversion, a beautiful homemade take on classic Arkhan - he looks brilliant!

Love the color scheme too - very deathly cold and eye catching. Keep at it.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Great color scheme, it would be amazing to see a whole big army done like that. I really like the necromancer done like this, you don't see such non-etheral models painted this way very often, top notch work!

And the reimagination of the classic Arkhan model is awesome, great use of bits!

vg11k

Skeleton
So it's from the knight of Shroud & AoS Malign Portent color scheme you set your tournament model and all your army. It really looks great in fact. Clothes, wings and zombies body looks very ethereal, i love it.

Also, this flying Arkhan's chariot :happy: